Free devirgination for supporters of net neutrality (also, a serious issue)

Discussion in 'General' started by DJ1337, Apr 27, 2008.

1. Best campaign ever!

But, ridiculous stuff aside, net neutrality is in peril, and Internet has never been in such a great danger before.

Basically, Virgin Media has decided to screw up Internet access for majority of UK's Internet users. The way it works is, they make deals with Internet companies which decide how fast their sites will load for people of UK. If some company can't afford Virgin's price, they get screwed with sloooow loading times and consequently lose their audience.

If Virgin pulls this off, it'll be the end of Wikipedia, Grasscity, and many other sites that don't swim in cash, because other ISPs will soon follow Virgin Media's example. In short time, Internet will turn into a huge advertising channel because only big corporations will be able to pay all the world's big ISPs for fast loading times.

So, I'm calling on all of you to help put an end to this madness by boycotting the Virgin corporation and spreading the word. If enough people stop buying their products and using their services, they'll have to back off to avoid financial ruin.

Anyway, here's a bit longer explanation:
    <object height="355" width="425">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/DcRdWdJpbTA&rel=0&color1=0x000000&color2=0x222222" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" height="355" width="425"></object>

2. Net neutrality = government regulation/monopoly. Don't support it.

3. What the hell are you talking about? Net neutrality is about avoiding monopolies. Where net neutrality is non-existent, ISPs control what sites their clients can view and at what speed. Do you honestly think that corporate regulations and monopolies are good in any way? Do you really want AT&T or AOL to decide what sites you can and can't view?

And just because something is government regulation doesn't mean it's automatically bad. Or do you also support abolishment of sanitation standards?

4. yeah and govt. cheese rocks too! :p

5. Wow their little site there is miles away from that video you posted. Where the fuck do they pull this from? An unusual amount of internet users are virgins? What the hell does this have to do with net neutrality? An how the hell will this accomplish anything? Empirical data please.

How is offering sex going to change anything? I see no relevance or cohesion between net neutrality and offering sex whatsoever. It's almost as if this group of kids sat down and deliberated and finally said, "Hey we have one really attractive girl friend, let's do something radical and extreme to convince people to support our cause on our website while we put out this innocent video! Oh I know, let's use SEX! That'll set off bells and sirens!"

I agree with some of the principles of net neutrality and I agree with a lot of what they said in that video; I think it is wrong for one corporation to control access to certain sites, and I agree that the internet is and should remain an enormous and free culture. I don't see how the hell their website is in such a completely different realm than the video. "Don't be offended by our drastic measures," well, I wouldn't be if it made any sense whatsoever. That site is offering nothing but free adultery (though I think it's total bullshit and illegitimate to begin with - I would be flabbergasted if someone actually tries this).

tl;dr - Agree with some principles of net neutrality, their website is a shitload different than their video (trust me, go check it out, it might make you laugh), their website is completely ridiculous and there is no cohesion/relevance to net neutrality and what they're trying to do to promote their cause. I'm not offended by sex, I'm offended by how ridiculous it is to believe that this shit has anything to do with net neutrality. You want to do something about it? Spread the word, boycott, that's all fine. Trying some shit just for the sake of being radical? Pass on that. The video evoked a lot of thought and consideration, but I laughed when I saw the site.

6. Sites should all load based on the speed of the ISP, and not how much money the site pays that ISP

7. the other day i was on youtube watching videos about politics and such
    i saw someone recommend another video in a comment that supposedly had some good information and left a link. it was another video on youtube, but when i typed it in my address bar, it said that the video wasnt available in my country. That alone proves there is a lot out there that we dont even know, simply because it doesnt show up in searches and cannot be accessed. the second thing it tells me is there are certain bits of information being banished from our reaches. there is no way to tell what were missing either.

this happened in the US, not the uk, where net neutrality is possibly at bigger risk.
    try attacks from congress.

this is the real deal, we have to act before it happens, if we even want to have the internet to spread the word

8. mT1BUXDutP8

thats the number to the video. it has since been changed to "private"