Free Birth Control for All!

Discussion in 'Politics' started by aaronman, Aug 1, 2011.

1. I care about low income women as much as the next person. But as Thomas Jefferson said, "My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." I fight against the government in general adding more power. Understand?

2. Fact- The American taxpayer is going to foot the bill, no matter what!

Birth control pills run about $20 to $50 per month. :cool:

How much does it cost to support a child on welfare for 18 years? :eek:

And don't forget to add in her (possible) couple of kids that she may have before 18 because she can't afford the pills on her allowance, or if on her own, a welfare budget! :eek:

No, I don't like messing with a woman's hormone balance, but neither do I like the idea of unplanned pregnancies!

Dudes, this free birth control is a financial drop in the bucket compared to what it prevents! Pay a bit now, or just keep paying, and paying, and paying!

Granny :wave:

3. Are you saying that women are afraid to ask their man partners to put on condoms?

rofl.

Are these women being raped? I thought sex was a mutual agreement...

Seriously, why do you keep bringing up the poor? This would provide contraceptions to any woman with health insurance. If anything the poor can't afford health insurance because of stupid mandates like this one.

4. Ad hominem much? Everything in the article is cited, based on actual research.

If you can find any evidence to the contrary please provide it.

Not if we change our welfare system.

What evidence do you have that providing free contraceptives to health insurance customers will lower unwanted pregnancies by unfit mothers?

5. #45 Verdurous, Aug 1, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2016
    It's birth control, man. Read the label, the evidence is right there on it. "blah blah blah percent effective against unwanted pregnancy". This question is just common sense IMO. lol Use that head of yours!

6. If a woman doesn't have enough money to afford birth control, what makes you think she can afford health insurance?

7. I never characterized poor people. If you pay close attention to my text which you quoted me on, i specifically mention the people that are already ABUSING the system, i did not say anything about every poor person.

Your right, i am ignorant to the full reality. Not a single person in here has all the facts. Nor can one possibly hope to ever know all the facts.

Maybe we should discuss the average cost of birth control then, as this seems to be a point of pivot as to whether or not people should have to provide for themselves.

Fair warning, im not going to change my mind about people providing it for themselves, but i am interested in the strength of your argument that birth control is "prohibitivly expensive"

8. I've attached a couple longitudinal studies that clearly demonstrate that contraceptive access/use is definitively linked to a decreased pregnancy rate. Abstinence alone is not enough to explain observed trends.

Also, that third article is about pregnancy coercion, condom negotiation etc. I highly recommend that you check it out considering how ludicrous a factor you seemed to think it was.

Attached Files:

9. #49 noviceGrower420, Aug 1, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 1, 2011

I love you too!:p
    Mist , you act like woman today dont know how children are made so they have no idea how to prevent one. its laughable. I wont insult you though, because i dont need to shout names like a child to feel better. :)

10. I already posted an article citing studies done in Spain and UK, where they provided contraception and pregnancies went up.

http://www.usccb.org/prolife/issues/contraception/contraception-fact-sheet-3-17-11.pdf

For example, in a 10 year study in Spain, increasing contraceptives by 68% was accompanied by an increase in abortion rate by 108%. (p4) Nothing conclusive but it leaves me skeptical.

Ya I think people are confusing this and Federal subsidies for Planned Parenthood.

11. #51 Oblivion420, Aug 1, 2011
    I think your idea is the best so far, sterilize all the people in poverty. Lol.

12. A google search brought me to Birth Control Pills - Birth Control Pill - The Pill which says it costs between $15-$50 per month to receive a birth control prescription.

That may not sound like too much but one can imagine that in a household where budgets are tight, the average of $32ish could represent a significant expense. If you think about the practicalities of it, too, one can see how prohibitive such a sum could actually be. Imagine you're a girl, 15 or so, and you're starting to become sexually active. If you're of a low-income family, chances are your family is somewhat sexually conservative as religion can be pretty intense in these communities. 9 times out of 10 I can't imagine that girl is going to ask her parents for money so she can buy "the pill" so that cost is going to fall directly on her. Maybe she has to take care of her little brothers/sisters after school until Mom gets home so she can't work a job; maybe she doesn't receive an allowance. $32 all of a sudden seems like a pretty hefty monthly payment.

13. Yes, and then we can sterilize the other unwanted people too! Those goddamn gays can be next, then the mentally ill, and then political dissenters! Wow, what a great idea! I just hope nobody at the top decides that I'm unwanted...:(

14. Sounds like this girl is too busy to meet someone nice to have sex with. I mean, heaven forbid she waits till she can safely have sex! Oh my god, she might even have to wait till shes 18! What an oppression ! Her parents just cant raise her, they need the governments help!

15. #55 Verdurous, Aug 1, 2011
    It could've been accompanied by increased education about the option of abortion. It doesn't show there were more or less unwanted pregnancies, just that the unwanted pregnancies that were occurring were being dealt with in a different fashion than they previously were.

16. What your studies show is that more people are using birth control, this could be due to greater education. It does not show that increasing access to birth control will reduce pregnancies.

Update on Emergency Contraception: Impact of EC on Unintended Pregnancy: Population Level

I don't think it's ludicrous that women are in abusive relationships, I think it's ludicrous that I should care if they want to hang out with dbags.

17. Where I live, on planet Earth, not everything unfolds based on what is most prudent. Once you accept reality we can start to deal with its problems.

18. I was kidding haha.

But seriously, if you aren't responsible with sex, you shouldn't be having it.

19. Ya I agree, but see the next thing I linked above.

"No published study has demonstrated that increasing access to emergency contraception pills (ECPs) reduces pregnancy or abortion rates at the population level,1-3 although one demonstration project4 and three clinical trials2,5,6 were specifically designed to address this issue. "

If you increase access to contraceptives, aren't you increasing incentives to sex? Birth control isn't 100%...

20. where i live, we accept responsibility for our own actions and dont ask other people to pay for our mistakes, over and over and over again. We also pride ourselves in earning our own living, and not taking hand outs from the government. Where im from, we dont need a big nanny government to survive. I guess they dont make them like they used to anymore.