Freakbro's Pest and Plant pit stop

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by Freakbro1, May 5, 2010.

1. Hey y'all. Back to Varmints and Critters...

I just smoked a fantastic joint of GDP. What a beautiful taste !!!
    Im in a ramblin mood, so I'll leave ya with this one tonite...

the SASQUATCH aka YETI

I live in British Columbia, Canada. The Sasquatch center of the world. Washington and Oregon, to the south of me, prolly have their fair share of these thieves also.

On a clear, starry nite, not too long ago, I was out at a patch of mine. 20 minutes offa the beaten path. Its so secluded there, that over time, Ive made it more of a campsite
    than a grow op. It was rather late (930pm), after pullin a 4 hour shift out there doin my grow thing.

I was settin by the fire, enjoyin a good cuppa coffee, just all chill - breathin in the fresh forest air when I saw a large silhouette move, to the right of me. I thought I was busted at first, but the form didnt move, it just stood there and kinda swayed side to side, like a large gorilla or somethin. I stood up (mainly to release my shitty shorts from the cracka my ass) to go see what it was. I didnt have to take another step.

Out from the brush, a (at least) 7 foot tall, muscular, fur-covered, naked man-giant thing came forward to within 3 feet of me. His head was a good foot and a half above mine, and he kinda scowled as he looked down on me. He turned and went and sat on my favorite rock by the fire. He gestured for me to come and sit. I did.

For the next 2 hours, we communicated. His language was incomprehensible to me - very gutteral and loud. He didnt understand my language either. But, I have to tell ya, the thing was an artist when it came to drawing in the dirt with a stick. He illustrated his story to me via drawing in the dirt !!!

I now know they are real.
    They have taken an oath to stay away from us at all costs. We are known to them as the "Great Destroyers", "the Barren Ones" and "Those who dont grow very good weed".

For u outdoor growers, including myself, have u ever had a good look at your grow ???
    No, I mean a full inventory observation...
    Ya ever notice budsites missing, small colas gone, new growth tips snipped??? I have, and I know for a fact that no one except my woman knows where Im at. I dont even take the dog to this place. All that goes missing is severed with surgical precision.

The Sasquatch illustrated to me that they dont smoke weed, in fact they are severely allergic to it. Heck, he wouldnt even try to smoke a doobie with me around the fire - he went to the other side of the fire from me to get away from the smoke.

They are master growers. They are scavengers and creatures of opportunity.
    They take our stuff and grow their own strains and perfect them. I tried to draw my question in the dirt to him, but before I could get halfway done, he grabbed the stick outta my hand and illustrated the following to me:

I think it said: "Stay far away from us. We will keep our distance from u too.
    Stop ruining the planet. U can only tell your stoner friends about our meeting,
    and most importantly of all, on a personal level to me - dont fuck around with me bro, I got a good thing goin with BC Seeds".

Freak
    :smoke:

2. Wow, that's Awesome!
    Did you ask him if he could fix you up with some seeds? If his shit is so good, why does he need our tips?

3. U stumped me with that question. Ive sat here 2 minutes tryin to answer with a good comeback, but I just cant.
    I feel like the guy who drank too much the night before and woke up the next day and asked everyone "What did I do last nite?".
    I just got home from work and Im not stoned yet - thats my problem.
    Later.

Freak

4. That's nothing. I just saw your location, and had a look under my keyboard to see if I could see you...:smoke:

5. #105 Freakbro1, Jun 30, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 30, 2010
    I have compiled groups of pics of insects for y'all to peruse and hopefully memorize them.

pics 1 - 5 Chewing Insects
    pic 6 - Sucking Insects
    pic 7 - Soil Insects
    pic 8 - 9 Beneficial insects

Freak
    :smoking:

Attached Files:

6. Picture 6 / 9 Bottom left corner, sucking insect. Pretty sure I found one of these on my plant today, guy was crawling away trying to hide but i finally grabbed him and put him on the ground. Lol I didnt kno the fucker could fly tho n he bolted n hit my neck lol.

Any idea what insect that is?

I'm curious about ants though. At one of my plots on the edge of the garden is a section of healthy ants, I've not noticed any attacks and for the most part stay away from my plants.

I figured maybe if they stay away and chill it would help aerate the soil? Also I've read that earthworms can turn the salt leftover from fertilizer back into food?(Maybe I mis-read) Do ants do the same thing? & Lastly if they come into contact with roots do you think they will eat them or work around them?

These are brown / redish ants btw...

7. Hey dude...

Im just on my way out the door to work. I'll be back on here around 3pm.

Freak.

8. OK,

U R the proud owner of a LEAFHOPPER (Hemiptera:Cicadomorpha:Cicadellidae).

Leafhopperz are one of the largest families of plant-feeding insects. There are more Leafhopper species worldwide than all species of birds, mammals, reptiles and amphibians COMBINED !!!
    They suck the juices of vascular plants (weed).
    U can bet u dont only have one.

They have small wings tucked away that enable them to "jump" farther. Kinda like grasshoppers. Leafhoppers seem to be spring-loaded. At the first sign of danger, they just shoot away wildly, by a snap of their legs. Thats what u experienced when u got hit in the neck by him.

Start with some NEEM OIL first, and see how it goes from there.

I like to give everything the benefit of the doubt before I take any evasive actions.
    Are the ants causing a problem ???
    Forget the aeration thing man...Once they are able to aerate the soil under your weed plant, u know u got an infestation and theyre really fucking around with the plant below ground. If they are far enough away, they should leave the plant alone.

Get a couple of lids from jars and fill them with honey or syrup or something really sweet.
    Distribute them at good distances from your plants. This will get their attention, and some other pests too. Just do 1 or 2.
    Keep me posted bro.

Freak

Attached Files:

9. Good thing there aint no Vampire Leafhoppers, that woulda hurt, dude !!! lol.

Freak

10. no pics of sasquatch? they might be highly allergic to weed but a samsquanch loves it! just ask steve french. ;)

11. hey everyone, i skimmed the thread and didn't see a mention of praying mantis.

i was watering my plant this morning and noticed a small (young) praying mantis on the top of my plant, i left him there because it looked cool and now im on here to see if he will do damage to my girl?

should i go back outside and take it off my plant??

12. no...leave him.

13. #114 Freakbro1, Jul 1, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2010
    WOW... R U ever lucky. Not only are they cool to look at, but he's on top of your plant keeping watch over it , like the king he is.

On the list of Predator Insects (all predators) he's at the top of the food chain.
    In the Orient, it is considered good luck.

Awesome...take care of him, dude. Any pics ???

Freak

Attached Files:

14. :D so im a lucky one? will he stay there for as long as the plant is alive??

ill try to get a camera, i have my iphone but im not posting pictures on here from my phone haha.

plus hes really small and white and i dont think the phone would really capture it.

im stoked about it now haha good day :))))

15. Thanks for all the good info Freakbro. A couple of questions if you don't mind.

On pyrethrins. I know how deadly a poison this is to insect critters and spiders. I am assuming, but this is the question, will use of a pyrethrin drench kill the microbial activity in an all organic soil?

The second question. Some remedies call for letting the soil dry in an effort to kill the larvae but with the added risk of the larvae agressively attacking the roots to get moisture. So, the jury may still be out on this treatment method. What is the impact of covering the top of the containers in an effort to keep the adults out and when the larvae hatch keeping them in, thus killing them?

Thanks man and keep up with the good work!

16. "U R the proud owner of a LEAFHOPPER (Hemiptera:Cicadomorpha:Cicadellidae).

Leafhopperz are one of the largest families of plant-feeding insects. There are more Leafhopper species worldwide than all species of birds, mammals, reptiles and amphibians COMBINED !!!
    They suck the juices of vascular plants (weed).
    U can bet u dont only have one.

They have small wings tucked away that enable them to "jump" farther. Kinda like grasshoppers. Leafhoppers seem to be spring-loaded. At the first sign of danger, they just shoot away wildly, by a snap of their legs. Thats what u experienced when u got hit in the neck by him."

Thats what devoured my 2 small plants today. So ya call em 'leaf hoppers' huh?

Shit they are nasty. all I have is seven and some natural stuff that doesn't work to spray on them. Now neem oil... That could be a problem for someone like me thats lives far out. The small town half hour away has a wal mart and restaurants, but not much else..

Where would one get this neem oil and isn't their any kind of commercial product that does the trick

thanks from deep in the woods

17. He will stay there as long as he's able to eat well.

Freak

18. Hey Possum, thanx for stoppin in.

Pyrethrin or pyrethroids are derived from the common garden plant know to us by the name of Chrysanthemum. Mums for short.

They are organic compounds which are safe for humans. But like with anything else, within moderation.

That was a good question about if the soil gets drenched with pyrethrin. My first reaction was horror, but then I did some research and found out some really cool info about it.

The microbes in the soil actually break down and assimilate the pyrethrin !!!

I think its cool, but I dont advise it.

Simply put down a 1/4" thick layer of clean sand covering the top of your containers and around the base of your plant. It will suffocate the larvae and keep the bigguns out.
    Give it a week. U can water right thru it. Have good air circ.

I always begin my own attacks with NEEM oil first, and move on in severity as needed.
    But I always try an organic route first.

Thanx for your kind words man.
    Keep me posted.

Freak

19. have found neem oil at Fred Meyers ( a local chain here in the Northwest) and at Wal Mart

most nursery have it too ..and pretty much anyplace that can support a Wal Mart supports some sort of old nursery here in the states ( it might be disguised as a feed store), and Neem use is a pretty normal staple, for any organic gardener.

Wharf