Frankenstein Mars400 grow

Discussion in 'Micro Grows' started by Ryan0o, Jun 29, 2016.

1. Ok. So here is the setup.
    Mars ll 400 led (sort of)
    Advanced led ds100
    Ventech 6" fan w/filter
    3ftx1.5ftx5ft tent
    Soil w/perlite,EWC, some nutes etc...

I have a freebie seed, Strawberry blue, about a week into flip as of this morning. Not my best looking plant, but she is coming along.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  2. And frankenstein next to the ds100. A quick backstory to the light ending up like this.
    I had 1/3 of the light stop working while I was halfway into flower on a past grow. After some tinkering, a few beers, and a lot of youtube content I was able to determine that something was wrong with the panel but the drivers were fine. So i opted to modify the panel rather than ship it back to Mars even though they would fix it for free. I ended up following an instructional video posted by GrowMau5 to make the modifications. It was surprisingly simple stuff.

Sooo now the light has 4 Cree CXA3070 COBs on it. Its ugly as fuck, but works well.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 3
  3. hmm I have an old mars panel that took a shit on me. ...so you just use the mars drivers just run the cobs? that's pretty damn cool.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Yeah pretty much, I'm not sure if they use different drivers between the white case mars and the marsll series though. But for the marsll it's all the same drivers, just more of them on the larger panels.
    To re-use the old panel you will need to grind/sand out a spot on the panel (down to the aluminum) to mount the cobs.
    Best of luck man

• Like Like x 1
  5. Just passed a week from flip.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  6. Just the one this time?

7. Yea, I had a blue dream that I was going to run along with it. But that plant turned out to be problematic. The plant wasn't even half as big as the strawberry blue after 5 weeks of veg. I tossed it. I have a 4 week old cookie bag seed out on my balcony. I'll probably put it in a 5 gallon this week And add it to the tent sometime this month.

8. Right on bro

9. Eh sorry to high jack your thread but quick question. When I bring my girls in from outside Tommorrow(also gotta transplant them into 5 gallons they aren't root bound or anything just in smaller pots at moment) should I give them another week or two of veg inside so they can get used to the pots and lights before flowering? Probably just answered my own question lol but ya

10. Haha yeah, get them into some bigger pots and give them 2 weeks or so under the new lights. Or whenever u notice that growth spurt after transplant.

11. Lol k that's what I figured

12. Almost to week 3. Im curious how the lights will handle this lanky sativa. She stretched out a little more than I am accustomed to.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 3
  13. Wow did it ever

• Like Like x 1
  14. oo she's filling out real nice :)
    Can you please tell me the voltage and mA on the driver(s) from the mars panel? Are you running all of the 3070's off of a single driver? I popped open my old mars panel and it has 8 drivers in it :O mine say 55-100v / 700-750mA is that what you got?

• Like Like x 1
  15. Ill check out the driver later in the morning and see what info is on them. One driver runs 2 of the 3070's.

Growmau5 breaks it down in this video

• Like Like x 2
  16. ooo thanks alot...I just watched a bunch of his videos the other nite and I didn't see this one

• Like Like x 1
  17. You are gonna love those Cobs !!

I built a light after watching him for a while. Best decision ever !! Lol

Not trying to thread hijack. Just wanted to show what these babies can do.

4 cxb 3590s driven at 1.4 amps. 216 actual watts at the wall. Passively cooled pin heat sinks.

I am in a 4x3 and day 14 of flower. Organic soil. Water only. 5 gallon smart pots..except my GDP. It's in a 3.

I am blown away after growing with blurple panels for the past 2 years. I will never go back to blurple !!

Cree Cobs ftw !!

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Happy Farms

• Like Like x 4
  18. Sick setup man. Once i have a bigger space I will definitely do a build.

• Like Like x 2
  19. that looks awesome happyfarmer! Those pin heatsinks are really cool. I've definitely gone down the ole cob rabbit hole these past few days.. I'm really looking forward to putting some together....the sooner the better

• Like Like x 1
  20. #20 HappyFarmer, Jul 15, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2016
    Thanks guys !!

It really was super simple once I figured out what I needed. The solderless holders made it a breeze. Also, I got most of my stuff from Pacific Light Concepts. The sinks came pre drilled ftw !!
    I only run 2 degrees above ambient..in the summer..with just a 4 in inline with filter and some minimal passive intake. It's insane.
    I have $371 total into it. A bit pricey I thought for 216 watts but wowser. Worth every damn penny.
    In all reality I think my build would be best for a 3x3 area but it's working great. I have some grows under my belt and I can tell 1gpw + is gonna be easy on this one :). I plan on adding 2 more cobs this fall and I will be set.

If you guys are on the fence about spending the money for a build I highly rec doing one lol

Your plant looks awesome Ryan btw. When I grew under blurple I got use to almost no stretch on my plants. After running these cobs it reminded me of the awesome growth I got with hps. They really took off once I flipped to flower. In a good way. Tons of lateral tops etc..not just an apex cola.

Happy Farms

• Like Like x 2