foxfarm ocean forest burning plants?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by oscar1984, Oct 26, 2008.

1. Yeah, my seedlings were just burned with ocean forest. If you start with light warrior, you will be fine. I'm about to transplant mine into some...

2. #22 ricard0, Dec 17, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 17, 2008
    Right on. You got a jounal going yet?

FU@K, i knew i tasted seed. Just took a rip and put it aside, pipe's still smokin but i'm not tokin. Oh yeah, gigidy gigidy. I'm just glad i didn't actually blacken it for the full effect. I hate that.

I just helped an friend setup up his room (he's a total noob) with my old equip, so it's kinda mine. Anyway, i will be potting soon so i wanted to clarify a few things ahead of time. I got 15 NL#5 from HGS, Germing 5 right now. One had a taproot yesterday so i've got to hustle.

I've also taken on the task of starting a hardback journal and figured what the hell, i'll post it here as well. With pics. It'll likely come in waves rather than a steady current of info., as i am not able to be there all the time.

Synned - Keep us posted on the Ocean Forest to Light Warrior transplanting. I'm very interested to hear about your results.:wave:

3. I have heard of many people having trouble with Ocean Forest soil. I currently have 6 plants in flower in the OF soil. I also have 6 sprouts about 5 nodes high in the stuff. I have had no problems as of yet. Actually been better results than my last two go's.

I mix my OF. I make even amounts of OF soil, vermiculite, and moss. With a one to two inch layer of moss on top of the soil to help slow dry out.

Hope this helps someone.

Happy greens...

4. I posted a while ago about this and, honestly, I all but forgot to update my post. I'm in my 9th day of flower and my plants are looking GREAT. I realized the FF was NOT the problem at all, but it was my pH. I got a good meter and fixated myself on getting my pH to 6. I posted earlier my pH was 6.5...that turns out to have not been correct. I was using a cheap probe and it READ 6.5, but the new meter told me it was 7.2 something. I've never had a problem since I've been keeping a consistent 6. The plants took off. Just be certain that your pH is correct...it plays such an important role. But here's some pics of mine now. I'm still in the same FFOF and only use MG Bloom Boost at full strength, Cal Mag Plus, and GH FloraBlend.

Attached Files:

5. Nice sativas there.
    I believe FFOF Soil can burn some sensitive strains such as white widow. However the beauty of this soil is a flush is highly effective. If one wants to grow WW. in it, one could do a flush before even putting in the seed.

6. Heres an update on the situation with FFOF, may have not been the problem although a while back with a run with Low Ryder it may have been, low amount of harvest and burning/lockout was a problem but it may have been a PH issue before I truly realized how important PH was. With this recent run with the W.W. I found that my PH was low around 5.5 to 6.0 after adjustment and diluting the FFOF with FFLW along with a little granular lime and promix things couldn't be better. Next run I am going to check out bubble buckets and looking forward to it.

7. I'm a medical grower in the states and I can verify that pure FFOF does burn plants on a regular basis. It's great stuff and the thought process that's behind it is "let's pack all of this amazingly wonderful organic nutrient rich stuff in a bag without much other stuff to dilute it so we can save on shipping!"
    I just cut it by mixing it 50/50 with perlite (7 bucks for a 50 pound bag at home depot!). Plants love the aeration and the nutes produce nice green healthy leaves, NEVER any nutrient burn!

So kids, remember, do not use straight FFOF, aerate that shit! Oh, I've also found that it's low in zinc and magnesium, so a month into growing, give them a little boost with epsom salts and a zinc rich additive like chelated iron.

8. Low in zinc & magnesium huh? Can you elaborate as to your little "boost" mix?
    How much of each amendment to a gallon/water? Or......?

I'd appreciate any advice you can lend. I have a friend (Noob) who's got all the supplies including FFOF, and he's been convinced of its' "superior" qualities. I'd hate to have his hopes dashed so easily.

Maybe i'll whip up one of your epsom & zinc tinctures and just slip it in the water when he's not looking. ;)

The perlite should be an easy sell, seeing as how he had already purchased it and was still debating its' use.

I can't stand friends grows sometimes. But they're better than nothin'.:)

9. I just use Cal Mag Plus and FloraBlend with my nutes and haven't had a problem since. Cal Mag is great...I can't say enough about it.

10. Well, they got transplanted on thursday, and they are doing awesome. All new green growth, it was definitely the ocean forest, but I can't say it's all the soils fault considering we didn't mix the soil up in the bag or mix it with anything else (perlite).

Only thing I've noticed is that light warrior is SO airy. Water goes right through it and it dries up pretty quick, so it's back to the ocean forest in a few weeks when they are more mature.

Joe

11. FF OF is prob not the prob, ive used the of/lw mix myself, never seen a problem, but every strain is different.

i would check the variables again, if ff soil is burning your plants, your going to have issues with your nutes, that you can be sure of.

12. [quote name='"ridge"racer']FF OF is prob not the prob, ive used the of/lw mix myself, never seen a problem, but every strain is different.

i would check the variables again, if ff soil is burning your plants, your going to have issues with your nutes, that you can be sure of.[/quote]

What strains did you have do well if FFOF/LW? If i may ask? Any pics?:wave:

13. #33 zlessley, Dec 24, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 24, 2008
    Aloha, keep in mind that zinc is the first thing to run out, but it doesn't mean that the soil isn't fine to grow in for a month or so. I use between 3 and 6 fluid ounces (leaning heavier the larger the plant you have growing) of "Arizona's Best" Liquid chelated Iron-zinc and one tablespoon of epsom salts dissolved in a gallon of water. NOTE: the soil should be moist before using this.
    I have cheated with the epsom salts and sprinkled it on top of the soil when I transplant clones into soil and the subsequent heavy watering does the same thing as giving a premixed solution. Seems to work just fine. Got some chocolate thai that I transplanted and they're VERY happy, nice healthy green leaves (not dark green.. healthy green) and they're growing fast!
    Peace, love, and herb (not necessarily in that order)
    Z

14. Thanx for the info.. Is your mix per gallon of water?:)

15. oops.. correction made.. sorry, I'm tired. Peace

16. Ha ha. I assumed you meant gallon, but i just wanted to be clear.

I think what i'll do is ask my friend if he doesn't mind me labeling one and take a slightly different approach to show him what some collective knowledge can achieve.

I think he just has a real good friend that works at the local hydro shop and has been talked into alot of supplies off the shelf.:rolleyes:

Oh well. When the shop is closed, who do you think he calls? There may be hope yet. Lol.:)

17. #37 Version 2, Dec 24, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 24, 2008
    I've always used [url="http://www.plantitearth.com/soil-mediums/black-gold-organic-potting-soil.aspx]Black Gold organic soil[/url]. I guess I don't understand what is special about FFOF or if it is even better than the soil that I use.

I'm going to go hydro for my next grow. I'm not sure when that's gonna start, I'm helping a friend move out of a bad situation right now, and the money I had set aside for the project is now being used to rent a truck :(

18. Well, hey, +rep for helping a friend. Good friends are rare.

19. She's like a little sister, we've known each other since 14 lol:p She'd do the same for me.

20. Hey there, the reason I use FFOF is because the best looking grow I saw was using this AND it really helps that it's locally available. I can't afford black gold as it would be like 10 dollars more a bag for less ingredients.

FFOF is the shit, but it's not good for using straight-up, ya gotta tweak it a little, but I appreciate that they don't fill it up with perlite because I can do that by myself just fine. Mi amigo uses his own intense blend of compost, greensand, epsom salts, guanos, worm castings, and all that but we get very similar results, and I don't have to buy all that shit and measure it out and mix it.

Oh just a random side note (since I'm listening to them..) check out bedouin soundclash, good stuff, newer stuff is a little too "pop", but their everything before this last one was tight.