FoxFarm Nutes vs. no nutes

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Mr.G, Nov 27, 2009.

1. Is there a major difference if you do not use any nutes compared to using foxfarm nutes?
    or is it insignificant?

2. :eek:

No nutes at all would make for no plant at all. It would start out ok but eventually shrivel and die.

3. Word! I tried not using nutes only to watch my baby die. So sad:(

4. at some point ur plant(s) are going to need nutes, ff or whatever. if you do use the ff, use them sparingly, nowhere near what's on the bottle or feeding schedule. that's just my opinion having used the product (don't over fertilize).

lol :smoke: chetto

5. fuck ya the ff trio is some powerful stuff.. its actually very easy to burn em with it of ph-uck the ph ;)

i actually find that when i dont follow any of the shit that the ff chart says my grow turns out best...

I start after 2 weeks of growth with a 1/2 Teaspoon of Grow Big per gallon.. (whenever i start with big bloom I eventually nute burn the plant) the next watering I only give water. I check the leaves for any burn and monitor the growth. if the plant drinks the water alone in 1/2 the days it drank em previously I will add 1/2 teaspoon of grow big + 1/2 teaspoon of big bloom to the next watering. from there I monitor growth and check leaves for deficiencies. I find it best to monitor the plant and give her nutes as she needs em as opposed to following that god forsaken chart thats ph-ucked and burned my plants countless times.

Once you've gotten tuned into your strain you'll know exactly when to feed em and how much.
    It's always good to start with SMALL DOSES and work your way up based on your plants requirements.

When I switch over to 12/12 or flowering (of an autoflower) I start with a 1/2 teaspoon of tiger bloom i put in 3/4 of the dose of big bloom I was giving it pre-flower. If i see lots of resin the next few days I know my plant liked its dosage. If I see a deficiency I either fix it in the next watering or give it just plain PH'd water.

Always monitor your ph run off and you'll never have problems with ff nutes. and you won't have to worry about flushing out the organic nutes and worrying about nute tastes in ur final harvest.

6. wow ,
    I dint know that
    so is ff the best stuff to use?

can ff nutes be used to grow hydro?
    or how would that work

7. mr g, ff has products that can be used for both soil and soiless applications. but no way would i make a claim that they were the best. you can have good results with ff (and plenty of light) if you don't over fertilize. I have used ff with soil, but haven't used with hydro yet. when i do go to bubble buckets not sure what i'll use for nutes, like to keep it simple and not spend mucho $$$.

:smoke: chetto

8. I managed to use fox farm soil nutes successfully with a hydro grow......you just gotta have alot of time because it requires a more frequent flushing and cleaning of the resevoir to prevent lock out. So much in fact that im going with soil this time around only because i have to use up those expensive a** nutes.

9. I've been using FF for several years. The big caveat is watch your ph, especially with Tiger Bloom. I mix the stuff with distilled water and then have to add ph up to get back to 7.0. Always start with weak mixtures and gradually build up. I also alternate between straight water and nutes.

10. Fox Farm is crap - it causes imbalances and sometimes lock-out. You will get much better results using something else.

If you are doing hydro try the GH one part if you are new to it. It's cheap, easy, effective, and will get you waaaay better results than of the junk that Fox Farm makes.

11. #11 Do Work, Nov 28, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 28, 2009
    I'm going to go ahead and say that if you are using FF products and you are following their feeding schedule, and you DON'T have good results, then you are an idiot.

I've followed their charts for hydro and soil. I've used the trio, along with the salts, on all different range of plants from auto-flowering, to full indica, full sativa, and many hybrids in the middle.

The only time you will ever burn your plants if you follow the schedule they give is in the very first 1-2 weeks. I do not agree that you need that much nutrient for the first couple weeks, but after that I go anywhere from 90-100% of what the recommended dose is (including the salts) on every other feeding.

Only problems I have had with using the FF products is that my top cola's will get so massive that I have to tie them up to keep my plant upright. Otherwise my plants top over from being so heavy. Also, it's really a pain in the ass when you get these cola's that are about 20 inches long and 8 inches wide. I mean, how do you even begin to cure something like that? ;)

Fox Farm products are simply put - amazing. Add in the fact that I have had harvests where I didn't give a flush of more than a day or two with just water, and the end result was still as good tasting as normal. Buy the "exspensive ass" nutrients, follow the "silly chart" to a t, and down the line invest in the salts, and you will be seeing amazing harvests.

EDIT: I'm going to say it again. Anyone that talks down on FF products either 1) has never used them, and is just a fanboy of some other nutrient 2) has never even had a successful grow period or 3) is just too dumb to follow a chart.

With that said, if you can't follow the directions of a very simple, straight-forward chart, then you either need to quit smoking so much, or are just plumb stupid, and probably can't pull a grow off anyway.

12. thats a very ignorant post... Fox Farm is one of the best nutes out there. Do some research before posting uninformative garbage..

13. Indeed. Like I said in my post, people that talk down about FF products have either never tried them, or can't follow a simple chart. In either case the information they provide should be disregarded.

Yes FF products are a bit on the expensive side, but I can provide pictures of what the line does, as far as yield, and growth.

Also, keep this in mind, the guy at the local hydroponic shop told me this about the FF products, and I thought it was pretty good. The FF trio is like following the food pyramid for humans. You eat the right amounts, and follow the right dosages, and you grow to be a healthy plant/human. The FF trio salt solubles are then like using human growth hormone. Except the plant growth hormone (called PGH ;)) is not as damaging as HGH to a human can be. There is a huge difference that can be noticed when using the solubles. The good news is, if you decide to not use them, you'll be fine. The better news is, that if you decide to get the solubles they will last a very long time, as you hardly use them. I've been using for close to a year now, and have hardly made a dent into any of the three other than the cha-ching.

14. Blaze21 doesn't know what he's talking about. The other posters have it right, FF is very good. The only way anyone can go wrong using FF is to overdue the N when the plants are young. Like the other posters, I only use weak Grow Big and don't start until they're about 3 weeks old (depending on the strain). Now, I use soil (FF Ocean Forest) and never tried on hydro. And like I posted above, Tiger Bloom is acidic so check your ph level and use PH UP to get it to 7.0. I've never been disappointed with the results.

15. FF is one of the better nute manufacturers im currently using the soil trio n theyre looking fine check my grow journal if u would like to see

16. I have nothing but love for FF! Has made considerable positive differences in my plants.

17. alright i have a question to add to the discusion. one of the first posts said taht if u dont use nutes ur plant will shit to bed on you. my first plant ever i never gave it any nutrients and it grew just fine but i waas a dumba** and never followed light scheduals so i ended up cutting it down and using it for random stuff. my second plant which im still in the process of flowering i have been using this "plant food" called Osmocote indoor outdoor plant food. this is simialr to what i have Osmocote® Outdoor & Indoor Smart Release® Plant Food
    i have been adding it gradually to the pot and covering with fresh soil. this is probably the worst thing for the plant but what do you think i should do????

18. I would not do that as over time the time release nutes can build up potency in the soil from repeated feedings causing burn among other issues if not very carefully monitored. FF nutes and soil are very high quality stuff and when used correctly can produce amazing results. Bad rep usually come from misapplied volumes from noob growers. I am currently using FF nutes and my plants look awesome.:D

19. I think blanket statements are misleading. FF causes imbalances because TigerBloom is deliberately low in ph, out of the bottle. This is to keep micronutrients available while the fertilizer is in storage. It is necessary to bring up the ph every time you use it, otherwise you will have problems. But, as long as you know how to raise ph, and read directions, you shouldn't have any issues. I did screw up with TigerBloom in my current grow, but it was my own fault for not checking the runoff the last time I fed. But I used FF for the entire grow, and cfl's, and she is growing some big, stinky, dense, buds.