FOX Tails? Good, bad, genetics, or just weird?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Crabmando, Feb 7, 2014.

1. Info varies from past posts. Light leaks, genetics, strains? Quality affected? NL#2 doing it the most. Chime in with thoughts!

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Grasscity Forum mobile app

2. I'm also very curious to hear what people with experience in it have to say. I'll be tuning into this debate!

3. My thoughts would be genetics. I wouldn't say it is an undesired growth pattern unless it's effecting your potency or yield. I did some digging for you at icmag it looks like it is a trait that is strain dependent, however, the source I'm using seems to believe your buds are more likely to do so if your temps are a little higher, humidity lower. Coupled with sativa dominant genetics.

Sent from my LG-D800 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

4. #4 bigslick7878, Feb 7, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 7, 2014
    Would this be when the bud is not one whole but appears to have multiple long "buds" that can be pulled apart?

If so it is genetics, I saw this in some of the bag seed I used to grow. It is very weird though, it dries up to a point where it isn't as noticabloe but the quality is not good, definitley suspect DNA. I never had any light leaks or anything like that, it was pretty random.

Oh and yes it was mainly strains that had a lot of sativa in them. Never seen a short indica do anything like that, only the taller less dense sativa dominant plants.

5. Here is a few pics of my tails. Buds are spiking out the sides of main larger buds. Is that the so called Foxtail? Not all buds on same plant just one or two.

Attached Files:

6. I can't entirely see the shape of the flower. But here is a good example of what it looks like. Post harvest.

Attached Files:

7. Roger that LOj! Very similar for sure. That pic looks like they all finished. Mine I don't think will when the rest of plant does. That's a great pic,thanks

8. I think they're beautiful. 

I've only experienced it once, with a sativa-dom plant for sure. 

I didn't notice a lack in potency at all. My foxy lady seemed to be just as potent as some other strains I ran at the same time.

9. Well then I would say try to stabilize the phenotype! I think it's pretty awesome too. I've. Only seen it in person once. The buds were tasty and the high was quite cerebral. Keep us updated when you chop man! Congrats😀

10. Will hope that its just a freaky thing and smoke it up! Thanks for input

11. Yep that pic is what I was talking about. It is like you can pull the main bud apart in like 15 different directions. As it dries it will contract and will be hard to notice, but I don't like it it doesn't produce nice buds when finally cured.

12. I've had some Strawberry Diesel do that before, it was pretty wild looking, and kind of a whore to trim.  Still smoked excellent, and didn't notice a deficiency in potency or yield.