Fox Farms

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by Chief Tokem, Dec 14, 2011.

1. What's up everyone. I've been seeing a lot of cats posting over here about Fox Farms lately, whether it be Ocean Forrest soil or Tiger Bloom liquid nutrients. I just don't really understand the need to buy products from a big company.

I feel that as organic farmers we really get the opportunity to work with the community. I know that I have met some really intelligent and cool people while sourcing my amendments locally. The lady I got my earthworm castings from was amazingly nice! She showed me her whole set up for vermicompost and showed me how she brewed her teas as well. Even if you are not to into social interaction, I still really think that the mushroom farmer I got my compost from or the lady I got my worm castings from, had a lot more to teach me about organic farming and the amendments that I use, than a bag/bottle of Fox Farms does.

I am really not trying to hate at all. I used some Fox Farms soils back when I was just getting into all of this and had pretty good results, but why would you limit yourselves to an expensive bag of pre mixed soil? I know their products may seem cheap but once you start buying things locally you realize that you were wrong. Even if you can't get fresh vermicompost where you live, Home Depot has some cheap somewhat quality ingredients for a soil mix.

http://forum.grasscity.com/organic-growing/867186-lets-get-cheap.html

Just because you are mixing amendments into your soil does not mean that you are growing organically. Fox Farms even admits that only some of their products really are organic...

So it seems a bit frivolous to be using their famous trio with their organic soils! Once again, no hate, just my opinion. Just trying to get the word out to new organic farmers. Although locally sourcing ingredients for a good tea or soil mix may be a little bit more work it is really worth it for your plants and your wallet!

And if you are trying to make your own soil mix, why not actually do it? Just adding some amendments to Fax Farms soil doesn't really count and you are not learning or understanding as much as you should be. You will thank yourself in the long run if you take the few extra steps and make your own base soil mix. It really isn't to difficult and will be much more quality then any pre mixed nonsense you can get. Just refer to that "Let's Get Cheap" link I posted towards the top of the thread for some good cheap soil mix ideas.

There are only a few more ingredients you need to get (sphagnum peat, rice hulls, compost) to make a soil mix that is truly yours and I assure you that you will be very please with the results. And as for the bottle feeding that has been mentioned here and there, Tiger Bloom is not organic and has a good chance of killing microbial life. But regardless of the brand, aren't we all trying to move away from bottle feeding!

I am just trying to give anybody who is now interested in organic growing or thinking about starting an organic garden a chance to save some time and money! Do a little bit more research and truly do it yourself! Good luck everyone!

Please do not hate on this thread. This is just my opinion and I am just quoting Fox Farms. Thanks again and have a good day.

2. #2 ForbinsAscent, Dec 15, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2011
    the initial product might be organic but I am sure they use inorganic substances in one way or another (preservative, processing, etc.). the consensus is an easy bet- raw minerals and meals from farm supply shops will be cheaper, less processed, and more effective. of course that won't stop people from stocking up on this junk. Maybe one day when they are credibly certified. EXCEPT THEY'RE NOT. how about some transparency from the company as to how their organic nutes are manufactured and why it's not certified besides excuses. then i'll be interested.

as for the piece of mind line- i think it's acceptable for new growers. But for 10$- i want a 50# sack of top quality 'nutrient' not a 2# bag that lives up to great promises in small settings, while the fox farms kicks back and makes massive profits. can you imagine of real farmers had to use the piece of mind nutrient line? 50# of it would cost hundreds of dollars and they would probably experience nothing but turmoil and bankruptcy before 'peace of mind'

Shame on fox farms for selling their over priced gunk to irresponsible farmers who dont know any better and wouldn't report to FF if the product was sub par which any real farmer would be able to tell you.

That's why it's not hating. It's pointing out how far superior, and less exploitative, utilizing farming nutrients are to gunk in a bottle marketed for stoned people.

thank you, come again.

3. Damn straight. I don't understand why more new farmers don't take the time to figure this out before they waste their hard earned money! But all we can do is spread the word! I just think it's really amusing that Fox Farms tries to assure the consumer that the use of inorganic material in their nutrients are only to make the organic nutrients more easily available for the plant. What kind of b.s. is that haha.

4. #5 ForbinsAscent, Dec 15, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2011
    hey weeedroid.

Chief, i definitely agree. These companies are shady, and preying off ignorance and the hordes of stoned fiends. Being one among the horde myself, i recognize the potentil pitfalls that lie ahead. Thats why I try to keep it all organic, all the time... hopeless cause or not. And try to be a responsible consumer, and farmer.

when it comes to Fox farm's, I have no doubt this company is cutting corners to produce these so called 'totally organic' products and their customers/employees will vouch for FF to distract from their error and deceit. it's the same thing with advance nutrients, and the hordes of AN stoned/staff that rush to the rescue every time the defaming facts are published online.

5. United Compost & Organics - parent company of Fox Farms and related companies.

Like their lily farm for example.

LD

6. My Happy frog all purpose has been collecting dust.... Damn looking back at my recipes i realize i was so lost lmao...but live n learn ya dig ... Glad you all showed me the way... Even tho i dont/cant get my amendments from a local feed store (city) the 30# mix i get from KIS works out for me...

I think foxfarm prob once stood for something, but in comes mass profit and expansion and out goes quality.