Fox Farm Ocean Forest

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by TriiLife, Jul 4, 2014.

1. I'm going to be planting my 3 germinated seeds today and I just wanted to make sure but before you plant your seeds should you rinse the soil with water and let it drain or can I just use the soil out of the bag? Iv heard people doing both but don't know what's best

2. don't drench the soil. you're just flushing nutrients out. place seed in medium, and lightly water around the seed, imo. the remaining soil is not being utilized just yet.

3. i second the above statement if that helps

4. Watch your seedlings in FFOF....I just found out they spray the nutes on their soil and I've had issues losing clones from burning! By spraying the nutes on, you may experience 'HOT SPOTS' in the soil. Have been overall happy with FFOF but it explains why random clones just burn up! Perhaps a lighter mix of soil or some seedling soil. Just trying to keep your girls from getting too much too soon! Hope this helps!  :gc_rocks:

5. Thank you for your advise guys! I went to go by light warrior and now my germinated seeds are In there happy medium! 3 feminized seeds of Holy Ghost!

6. Tip:  Put saran wrap over the top of your medium to keep the soil from drying out.  Remove as soon as you see any signs of green poking through.

7. Wouldn't that cut off the air circulation?

Makes sense. I've always thought it was curious that a supposedly organic soil that has all those ingredients would run out of nutrients after only 4 weeks. My soil has more nutrients than that and doesn't burn seedlings. Not that it's a bad soil, it just tells me that there's more to the story than what we're led to believe from the label...

9. Fox Farm also makes Happy Frog soil which is designed for new seedlings. It's a much milder soil that doesn't burn young plants.

10. They do not spray nutrients into their soil. That's BS, and makes absolutely no sense. Fox Farm does indeed amend their soil with organic matter. The problem is, they use inadequate portions.  Which is why it's only good for about 4 weeks. But that makes sense from a business side of things. They wouldn't sell all their liquid ferts if they made super soils that would last the entire grow :)

11. #11 Thicken Dense, Jul 5, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 5, 2014

I understand why they do it, makes money. What I don't understand is how you burn seedlings with an organic soil that has a minimal amount of ingredients, and it's got me questioning their methods. I've built some pretty strong soils, never came close to burning seedlings like OF does.

"Burning" caused by organic soils is usually due to the addition of high N material inputs combined with insufficient cycling periods prior to sale.

They're not selling soil that's sitting in a pile cycling, you know?