Four planets will cluster together next week

Discussion in 'Science and Nature' started by Twistedd, May 8, 2011.

1. #1 Twistedd, May 8, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2011
    [​IMG]

Four planets will huddle close together, visible to the naked eye, in the predawn sky next week, according to the editors of StarDate magazine.

"The best view is from the southern states because the path the planets follow across the sky (the ecliptic) stands at a little higher angle relative to the horizon," the magazine's editors said.

"Peak streak" time arrives for meteor showers

Venus and Jupiter will be easy to spot hanging low in the east as dawn brightens on May 10. They are the brightest objects in the night sky after the Moon. Venus, the brighter of the two, will be to the right of Jupiter.

Mercury will be visible to the lower right of Venus, about the same distance from Venus to Jupiter. It won't be as bright but its proximity to Venus will help you find it. To the lower left of Jupiter you'll find Mars, which may be too low and faint to see without the aid of binoculars.

StarDate magazine is a bi-monthly publication of The University of Texas at Austin McDonald Observatory, which houses many telescopes responsible for a wide range of astronomical research. McDonald Observatory is also pioneering the next generation of astronomical research as a founding partner of the Giant Magellan Telescope.

Source:
    Four planets will cluster together next week – This Just In - CNN.com Blogs

So who all is going to be watching this? I've been wanting to look at other planets for a while now, never really getting the chance. Plus, this is a cool little early birthday present from nature I suppose.

More Info;
    http://stardate.org/mediacenter/201105-four-planets-huddle-dawn-next-week

2. should be quite the show for us terrestrial beings :)

3. so...may 10th? we should meet back on this thread before we go out to obviously smoke and then watch the show.

4. I want to say it'll be in the early morning (3-6?) so that's gonna be a long night.

5. cant wait to see this

6. Nice, I'll have to bust out the telescope for this one

7. Awesome, I wish I had a telescope

/jealous

8. thanks for reminding me that i havent owned a telescope for quite some time. gonna go buy one now! wont be here in time for the 10th though:(