Found really cheap Reflective Mylar!

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Hell2Pay, Jan 25, 2013.

1. I was looking for a damn good price on Mylar, and may have just found it. Not 100% on thickness, but this wrapping paper here should be just great, especially for the price! Thought I would pass it on to those who were looking for a good deal. $15/100ft Roll

Colored Metallic Mirrorized Film Rolls

2. Tell me how this works if you try it out! Would love to see that it works!

3. Definetly a nice bargain - as long as it doesn't show up ridiculously thin...

Can anyone comment on the .80 thickness?

Thanks for sharing OP.

J

4. I order some last night. Hopefully will have it by Wednesday. I will report with pics and my opinions.

5. Yeah if its too thin light will go right through it, and you will probably loose reflection.

6. That may be true, if it's almost transparent, I may get some flat grey primer paint or something to do a coat real quick on my boards. Give it a mirror backing. But I have a feeling it will be reflective enough, it just may be a pain to clean.

7. Get a pale of flat white paint and be done with it man, thats what I did with my closet. Flat white paint is the most reflective.

8. No it is not.

At 0.8mm that stuff should be thick enough to reflect, but it still may be challenging to handle, not tear, etc. "True" horticulture-grade mylar is only about $20-25 a roll...

9. I wasn't saying paint is the most reflective, over mylar. I was implying that white flat paint is the best paint to use if I am not mistaken.

10. also check out the mylar emergency blankets on ebay. there 99 cents for a big piece. kinda thin but if you paint the back of it or just 2-ply it its fine i made a makeshift tent with PVC and this stuff.. works pretty well.. built for about 15 bucks..

11. I did this for my last round, while it helped the reflection I could tell I was loosing some light through it. Mylar 3-6 mil ftw!

12. Has it came in yet?

13. No It has not, unless FedEx left it at the apt office, There was no notice on my door though..... Paid for expedited delivery, and so far it doesn't seem very expedited! I reckon good comes for those who are paitence.

14. So the Mylar came into today. Got two shiny rolls! It is transparent when held to light, as you can see in my picture. But once it was applied to my boards, it really shined. I should have taken more pic before puttiting it all together, but I think the piece where I covered it over the old foil really was the most reflective and non wrinkled. I did one with two layers as well and that seemed to help some, but the one I rolled over the already in place foil really shined (no pun intended). I provided a comparison of the ones I had wrapped in foil originally and the first one I wrapped just mylar. It is a bit difficult to get it to apply with out wrinkles. I'm positive with a bit of practice this wouldnt be an issue. I used 3M contact cement spray to apply the mylar, and it stuck excellently to the cardboard. I would say it is easier than painting, and cheaper. Cleaning it seems like it wont be too hard either, the stuff is fairly tuff. A paper towel and windex seemed to take the finger prints and what nots right off, leaving it nice and shiny. Still have a bit of work to do to my box, but I believe that this was a great purchase, and now will make my dad some modular walls with this stuff as well!

Attached Files:

15. I was thinking of buying the same thing and wondered if i put plain white paper down first then cover it in the wrapping paper stuff?
    Any input would be awesome!