Found Plant Growing In Yard

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by dchowPURP, Jul 12, 2010.

1. Hey GC! Two days ago, I was taking my dog for a walk and I noticed this in the backyard of an abandon house. I want to take care of it so that it doesn't die, but I'm not sure what to do. Also, how can I tell if it's a female or a male? The top of the plant smells like straight skunk and I don't want it to go to waste. Help would be appreciated!

[​IMG]

2. Woah nice find!, the fan leaves show it is an indica. Here is a site to help you determine if it is a female or male.

Female and male marijuana plants- how to tell the difference

I don't know how you will take care of it, could probably go back to the house at night and take it if it is abandoned or just keep going back and checking up on it.

3. Be careful. You may not be the only one "taking care" of it.

4. Sweet come up! However it wouldn't be cool if it were someone else's. The location and placement makes that seem unlikely IMO...

If you take it, be very careful of not damaging the roots, being that it might be tricky if they are attachign themselves to the concrete.
    As far as caring for it, I guess the simplest way would be to throw it in a 3 gal pot with organic soil or some "ocean forest" if your willing, and get it under a couple of cfl's to start...

5. lucky! i wish i found a plant growing like that! id totally take it!

6. What pearl said. If the "owner" shows up and sees you taking it, things won't go down very well.

7. #7 dchowPURP, Jul 12, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 12, 2010
    Yeah, that wouldn't be a possibility since I'm living with the rents, but I can go check up on it every day since I take my dog down that route everyday. I'm willing to do maintenance on it, I just don't know what to do lol. Today, I'm gonna go take a few more pics and check if it's a male or a female. How long do you guys think it's been growing based on it's appearance?

8. That plant looks alittle to well takin care of to be just an accident, you might just be taking care of somone elses plant and trust me when it gets close to harvest time the owners will be all over it. If there is a owner, that is.

Plus is there is another person taking care of it and you give it nutes and then like the next day they come and give it nutes then your going to kill it.

Or you put in alot of effort to take care of it, then one day you show up and the owners have chopped it down and taken it. Then you just grew them some nice bud.

If I were you, when you find out if its male or female if its female then just take some clones from it and leave it be.

9. #9 dchowPURP, Jul 12, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 12, 2010
    Good point man. I'm just gonna check it everyday and if it starts dieing, I'm gonna take care of it. Where on that plant can I check if it's male or female? It's about a foot tall, I'm not sure when it will begin flowering.

10. Where the branches are coming off of the main stem is where you look. If its female you will see little cone shaped things with white hairs coming out of them. If its male you will see a little ball with nothing growing out of it. Its hard to tell them apart at first but after a couple weeks you should be able to tell right away.

11. Well everyone, it's a female and I'm quite excited to see when she's gonna begin flowering. The thing is I'm not gonna be able to grab a clone because I'm not gonna be able to grow because of the rents nor do I have the money to pay for the equipment needed. I know that it is an Indica, but I don't know when it was planted. Is there a way to tell how long it's been growing for based on the appearance of the plant?

12. The age of it has nothing to do with how long it takes to flower outside. It really depends on the strain. Most will be done and ready to harvest around sept-oct. Your going to have to get a 30x magnifier or better, then look at the trichs(most ppl call them crystals), when its ready 50% will be a amber color and the other 50% will be cloudy. They start off clear.

13. I went back to check up on it this morning, I see some parts of leaves were bitten off by bugs or something. Is there a way I can prevent that from happening? The smell from the plant is really coming in now compared to last week when I found it. I will be buying that magnifying glass later this week.

14. Yo GC! Quick question, when it's ready to harvest can i take the whole plant out, take it to my friends house and begin trimming?

15. There are all kinds of things you can buy to keep the bugs away, just go somewhere like walmart and check out the gardening section.

About the harvesting, yes you can chop downt he whole plant and take it with you. Just make sure its actually ready to be harvested before you cut. Get the 30x magnifier and check out the trichs, 50% cloudy and 50% amber colored. Dont get anxious and chop early, it will be a waste. Most of the THC isnt made until right before harvest...

16. Alright, thanks for the help Why!

17. What you should do, is place a large stick or branch along the edge of the ground against the plant. Make sure it's in the way, but not so much that it will directly interfere with the plant or the growth itself, but in such a way that you know it won't just 'blow away'.

If it's still there the next time you check, leave it a while longer. If it eventually disappears, and doesn't look like it just rolled away (especially if it's leaning up against a wall somewhere else, or gone entirely), then there's a very good chance that you're tending to another persons plant, and you may want to just leave it be.

18. Yo it's been awhile since I updated this, but here she is...

[​IMG]

I put a stick there last Wednesday and it has been there since if u can see it in the photo. Those purple flowers that are growing there are getting in the way a little bit, but I don't think it should be a problem.