Found an old TV on the side of the road - looks to be late 60's (with images).

Discussion in 'General' started by Senior PoopiePants, Oct 7, 2012.

1. #1 Senior PoopiePants, Oct 7, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 9, 2012
    Well, I found this bad boy outside - I saw the original owners carrying it outside to the curb. I was driving by to go to the store. On the way back I grabbed it. It was HEAVY as hell (at least 175 pounds).

It's an Admiral. Really good condition except I get no picture and no sound. But the tubes light up and the channel light goes on. So it can't be too big of a problem (all tubes work, apparently).

I wish I could fix it, but all of the wires in the back appear to be connected. The inside is in really nice condition. I just messed it up trying to put it into the car (you will see where the wood peeled off on top of the console.

I emailed a merchant in my state who buys and sells them - maybe he'll buy mine. If I can even get $100 for it, that would be sweet. I would have loved for it it work so I could watch it sometimes and get nostalgic. But it is what it is. Here are some images. Anyone have any ideas?

Edit - not selling it (they say it's not worth it). This is what I did with it:

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. So fucking oldschool. Get a piece of string, turn it into a necklace and you'll be the coolest hipster in town.

3. #3 Senior PoopiePants, Oct 7, 2012
    Inside. Note the tubes:

Attached Files:

4. :laughing:

That's a good one! Fuck Flava Flav! I got a 40 year old TV around my neck! Yeah boyee!!!

5. I'd love to smash that in my basement...

6. #6 Senior PoopiePants, Oct 7, 2012
    And the damage: :(

Attached Files:

7. Christ, man. Have you ever played baseball and hit the ball in such a way that you get those vibrations all throughout your arm and body and it hurts?

That's what smashing this thing would be like. It's mostly thick glass, iron, and thick wood.

You would break yourself trying to destroy this thing, haha - trust me - the thought has crossed my mind. But if I can get money for it...

8. Way cool, dude. Nice grab, for sure.

That damage chunk on the top is going to take a lot off the value ( if anything, since it appears to need work ) but for picking it up off the side of the road it's just money you didn't have before.:D

9. True. But I still have the piece! If I just knew more about wood. I know I could get it on. Or maybe the merchant-dude could do it.

10. Smaller pics, yo!

Awesome find, don't sell it, take it to a guy who can fix it

11. I actually like CAVERNs idea better. Take it to someone to fix it, blaze and watch really old movies or something.

12. take it to pawn stars or American (nose) pickers

13. This is going to be one of those times off those antiques programmes where they're just like 'If it was in perfect condition, it'd be worth about a million dollars'.

14. smaller pics yo 2nded

15. one time when i was in highschool, i was helping some my friend take a load of shit to the dump, and while there we found one of these old TVs.

we grabbed a couple of steel pipes and tried to smash the screen out.. holy fuck those things are tough. swinging as hard as possible and it wasnt even cracking, just little scratches, and very slightly crushed glass on the outside.

16. I wouls turn it into a dope ass fish tank

17. That sounds like a phenomenal idea! I don't have the cash to pull that off, though.

How cool would it be to have the lights for the tank connected to the on/off switch and the tuner be a dimmer for the light?

Cool shit.

18. #18 Senior PoopiePants, Oct 8, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 8, 2012
    Sorry. I'm not resizing all of that and re-linking it!

Just click on the image at the bottom of the post and it should be smaller until you click it again.

This is what I was hoping for - for it to work, but since it doesn't, I would have to get it fixed, and I do not have that kind of money.

If I did I would do it. It would be dope as well. But I can't so I will just have to see if that guy emails me back and what he says. Hopefully at least a hundred. If not, then I'll just keep it and use it as furniture (a table) or as a cool "Hey, what the hell is that thing?"-piece.

19. As a tv, wouldn't it be worthless since they switched to digital signals a few years ago?

I like the idea of the fish tank, though. :smoking:

20. #20 Senior PoopiePants, Oct 8, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 8, 2012
    Dude. Vintage televisions, vintage radios, vintage computers, vintage game systems - all a big deal, or rather - big money. CAN BE big money if the item is sought after.

And yeah, the fish-tank thing is sick.

Although, I think it would be cool to get another tv inside the tv (one that works) and watch it like that.

Yo dawg, I put a tv inside of a tv so you could watch tv while watching an old tv!

[​IMG]