Found an iPhone

Discussion in 'Silicon (v)Alley' started by M1chael, Sep 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. In most places, the law would disagree with you, and you could very well be arrested for theft for keeping found property like this if you are found out.

Most places have specific laws for this, in general, you are required to report the found property, and if no owner comes forward after a certain period, it's yours.

For an expensive cell phone, you are really risking your ass with something like this. Unless it's been hacked, once it's reported stolen, any phone company you try to activate it with will know, and will generally be required to report you to the police.

2. Sorry man, I disagree with you for the simple fact that he picked (something that was not his) up and left with it. It would not be theft if he were to not touch it, leaving it there, and it would not have been theft if he were to return it to the main desk. But touching something that is not yours, with the intent of not returning is stealing. But weather he is stealing or not what he's asking.

OP, i know you from other posts, so i know your not a bad guy, but i also know your not going to return the phone. I say don't use it as an iphone, use it as an itouch. You would be dealing with way less hacking and really not breaching any contracts. I suppose thats the lesser of two evils, ripping off one company as apposed to two.

3. I think everyone is trying to say. Yes you picked it up, but when you were doing so you knew you were not going to return it. So in a sense if the police do get involved you will get introuble for theft.. really.. Gl though hopefully you will do the right thing, or hack that somba.

4. ITT: a bunch of hypocrites who would of done the same thing.

5. Bullshit! He found it, took it and has no intention of even trying to return it! That's fucking stealing!

6. yea dude.... Im big into computers and all that tracking jibber.

They can pin point wherever the hell you are within like a foot if they want to.

all the owner has to say is "tell me where my phone is" and bam there you are.

if its on, they can do whatever they want with it.

like see who it is exactly logging on to grass city from thier i phone

phone call to grass city headquarters in need of info for a lost iphone = personal info given to the po

7. Yeah they can do it, but they dont.
    What are they going to do pay a team of officers to hunt him especially down for a 200 dollar phone? lol you have too much faith in the system

8. I'm jealous...I want an iPhone so bad. I sell phones I find on Craigslist, made $90 last time...

9. Someone left their phone in a public place and he found it. I wouldn't consider that stealing.

I don't feel bad for taking a phone I found. Mainly because I've had stuff stolen from me in the past (A Wii and an iPod Touch, to be exact). Also I was working once and me and my co-worker found a woman's wallet with what had to be over 3000 dollars in cash in it. She came in and we gave it to her, then about 10 minutes later she came back in to say that she counted the money and it was all there, and she thanked us for not taking any of the money... Then she left. That's a bitch move in my opinion. Why come back and tell us that you thought we were going to steal your shit? (Plus there was no reward... Which I wouldn't expect except that she came back to tell us that she thought we would have jacked her shit)

I'd say it's choosing not to be a model citizen, but since when did the concept of "Finders keepers, Losers weepers" go out of style?

10. From someone who recently had my car broken into and my wallet stolen, let me tell you that the owner of that iphone currently wants to kill you. If you don't return that your fuckin scum.

11. #71 JuicyGoose, Sep 18, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 18, 2009
    Take it back, it's not yours and if it was you'd want it back.

What you're doing is selfish and mean. You probably don't like it when your shit is stolen or when you get fucked over, why would you want to do that to someone else?

I was at a festival earlier this year and found a phone, kept it until I got a call and answered it. Found out whos phone it was and got the callers name so when i put it at the lost and found I could give them names.

Right as i got the phone call a dude walked up and was selling valiums. We talked for a bit, then he noticed he'd lost his phone... so i asked what his name was and it was the dude's phone. So, i gave the dude his phone back and he gave me two valiums.

See, karma does work. (Even if i don't like pharms that much.)

12. ....and i found this snowblower/car in that driveway, so i didn't steal it, i just found it. theft is taking something that isn't yours, he IS a thief and he is a POS. if we lived in a world where everyone did this it would be a shitty place straight up. constantly being on high alert watching out for the shadeballs constantly trying to take your shit, i rescently had my motorcycle stolen, and i am currently unemployed without a car :mad: think about the situations you put people in before you go to bed tonight, and hopefully if you don't change you're mind by mourning you won't wake up.

13. does he have the means to return it??? (contacts list)
    ...i'm pretty sure he is depriving the true owner that is only a phone call away (and all thier friends)

14. Man I'd keep that shit. And all this BS about karma?, man you mofos don't know if this IS KARMA saying 'heres a free phone for all the shit' and maybe the other motherfucker who lost it was on karmas bad side for doing some grimy shit. Karma goes both ways man.

I wouldn't actually keep it tho, sell it.

15. Yes, that's why your user name is HighSchool.

16. I don't get it. :confused:

17. Again, that's why your name is HighSchool.

If you act like a high schooler (i.e. have no sense of morals or regard for another human being or their belongings), and your user name is HighSchool, it fits.

18. I guess we're just gonna have to agree to disagree on that.

19. Well, i agree with the stoner:))) on this one. Your reasoning is stupid, IMO.

You ARE indeed acting like a high school kid. If you find something that is not yours take it to someone who CAN find the owner. Don't keep it. That's asking for trouble.

20. Hey stoner lukas, usually i like your posts but WTF man? not all highschoolers are honorless bastards, that shit surprises me coming from a guy who comes off as tolerant and level headed.

Again no offense but i just had to call you out on that, cause it doesn't describe me or people i hang with.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.