Found a seed trying to grow

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by BlazinBlunts420, Aug 15, 2008.

1. So i found a seed laying around and i decided id try to grow it

i filled a cup with clean water and added two drops of miracle grow houseplant food that contains 8% nitrogen 7% phosphate 6%soluble potash and i put the seed in and it sunk to bottom, im wondering how long it will take to germinate or how to tell if seed is dead

2. #2 cantharis, Aug 15, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 16, 2008
    It sinking is a good sign. Leave it in the water for 24 hours, then plant it 5 mm deep in compost and keep warm. If the seed casing has split that is also a good sign.
    Some people are sure to come on and inform you that you have to use paper towels to germinate - I have never seen any point or advantage in doing that. Others will say you must never use fert until it is 10 feet tall, again, BS, seeds fall into horse shit and do brilliantly. Just do what I have said above and it will be fine.

3. ok man first thing i want to tell you is that you do NOT ever ever evereverever use fertilizer or and plant food when it is sprouting. start to use fertilizer only when its at least 5 nodes. and second of all did you germinate the seed? make sure its germed first, do this by getting a moist paper towel, not soaked, make sure its dry enough so its not dripping. put the seed in it and keep it in secure place, you'll know its germinated when it has a sprout about 1/4 inches long, youll see it cracked out of the seed. thats when you should plant it.

4. i was actually wondering which method was better because im starting my first grow so i put 11 seeds in a cup of water and 11 seeds in a moist paper towel and i put them both on top of the hot water heater. none of the seeds in the water have germinated so far and i have 6 that have germinated from the paper towel. im no rocket scientist but i would say that the paper towel method works best....

and yes make sure it germinates before you plant it. you will see a little white sprout coming from the seed. you wont be able to miss it if it does sprout. if it doesnt you can still plant it but i doubt it will grow

5. I've had similar results. I suppose seeds like it damp and humid but not completely soaked. Ehh, what the hell do I know :smoking:

6. The 11 seeds in the water can't get any oxygen. You drowned the poor little buggers!

Personally I use peat-pots. WAIT! Don't scoff... I only use them to germinate :)

Seriously... peat pots suck for growing clones because they're TOO DAMP... but they're absolutely gorgeous for sprouting seeds.

I soak my seeds for at least 5 minutes. Sometimes I've left them for hours and it's ok but 5 minutes seems to be fine for some reason (and better than not soaking)

I soak the peat pot in PLAIN Reverse Osmosis water (RO) and after it is fully saturated I squeeze gently to remove about half a tablespoon of water or so. When you let go the peat pot is very moist but not dripping.

I poke an 1/8th inch deep hole, put the seed in and BARELY cover it.

I usually do more than one seed at a time and all of the peat pots go into a covered tray. (Jiffy makes some great little trays for this.

The tray then goes into the broiler rack in my oven. The pilot light keeps it nice and warm in there without ever getting TOO hot. (Yes... I have to make sure I remove it before I cook a pizza LOL)

I've had seeds sprout within 24 hours.

AS SOON AS THE SEED SPROUTS you'll want to take that peat pot to the bathroom. Cut the nylon outer wrapping off and gently wash all of the peat moss off of the seedling and roots. You shouldn't have any problems getting everything off without breaking fine root hairs.

Transplant into your medium of choice ;)

If you don't have peat pots... nearly everyone has paper towels LOL
    Just be sure to transplant them as soon as they have a 1/4 to 1/2 inch root on them. After that point they start growing tiny little hairs that get pulled off when you pull the seed from the paper towel. :smoking:

By the way.... you'll probably want more seeds....

7. #7 cork144, Aug 17, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 17, 2008
    Some people are sure to come on and inform you that you have to use paper towels to germinate - I have never seen any point or advantage in doing that. Others will say you must never use fert until it is 10 feet tall, again, BS, seeds fall into horse shit and do brilliantly. Just do what I have said above and it will be fine.

1 post later.....

ok man first thing i want to tell you is that you do NOT ever ever evereverever use fertilizer or and plant food when it is sprouting. start to use fertilizer only when its at least 5 nodes. and second of all did you germinate the seed? make sure its germed first, do this by getting a moist paper towel, not soaked, make sure its dry enough so its not dripping. put the seed in it and keep it in secure place, you'll know its germinated when it has a sprout about 1/4 inches long, youll see it cracked out of the seed. thats when you should plant it.

gotta love can for his mystical powers!

oh and btw for the "no ferts for sprouts dude", i know several growers who fert the water in their hydro systems before they even germ the seed, and they seem to grow pretty decent shit.

8. Agreed. Gardeners give seedlings ferts as soon as they sprout.

MJ doesn´t need any special treatments.

9. But we're NOT talking about Gardeners here... we're talking about NOOBs so...

NO NUTES FOR SPROUTS....

Once you've grown a bit and have a better feel for things you can do whatever you want but to keep the success rate up for people's first times, please advise paper towels and no nutes.

Thanks

(Just have to keep focus on what the priority is here)

10. #10 cantharis, Aug 17, 2008
    We are talking about PLANTS here.
    No special treatment needed for MJ. It is just a plant.
    Plant it in soil, just like any other seed, give it a bit of fert as soon as it sprouts.
    Lots of people, who don´t know better, say you should start it in paper towels, I have yet to be told of any reason why, paper towels just rip the tiny root hairs off.
    And indeed nobody does that for any other kind of seed.
    Maybe someone could inform me of a reason why this total myth has such widespread and stupid belief.

Using my conventional sowing methods I get plants like this

[​IMG]

Over a pound of dried/cured off of that lady.

Proof of the pudding, as they say. I am sure all the noobs would like to grow plants like her.

11. We are talking about people who haven't ever grown a plant before... not someone like yourself that has.

When you pay $15 dollars a seed and not ALL of them will be female you can't afford to waste seeds. THAT is why NEWBIES are told to use paper towels. (IMO Peat-pellet thingies are still better but hey... Noobs work the paper towel thing well)

Get off this "I'm a great grower and I don't do THAT with my stuff" attitude... there are a LOT of people here that SUCK at growing plants and can kill a seed just by looking at it. :)

We're here to help... not berate the people trying to help them. :)

Btw.. nice looking lady there :)

12. #12 BlazinBlunts420, Aug 17, 2008
    just a little update

it never sprouted in the glass of water so i just stuck it in some dirt outside put a little fert and some water... if it grows it grows if it dont then o well lol

thanks for the tips when i try to grow 'seriously' they'll come in handy

13. Good luck to you. If it sprouts well and good, but remember not all seeds will be viable.

14. Thanks, HydroGanic, I must be doing something right then.

15. You should NOT leave seeds in water for more than 24 hrs. They won't germinate, just soak up the water and rot.

Folks who do put seeds in water do so to soften the seed casing before planting the seed.

16. when i first started growing, germinating was one of the hardest parts for me . i watched this and it was all the info and more that i ever wanted/needed to know. www.medicalmarijuanaeducation.com

good luck

17. A bit more to it than that. I always soak my seeds in water for 24 hours. The viable seeds soak up water and sink, often the seed casing splits as well- they get planted one to a pot. Those still floating after this time are probably sterile husks, they get put together in one pot, just in case any pop.

I have NEVER seen any advantage whatever in germinating in paper towels - it has become a MJ growers myth that this should be done, I can see no reason for it whatever.
    There are DISadvantages, fine hairs quickly grow into the paper, then get ripped off. I did try germinating in paper towels and it was clear that it was a dumb idea as damage was quite obviously being caused to the tiny root. Also newbies mistake the root for a shoot and put the thing into soil upside down. Planting the seed directly in soil and keeping it warm and moist will germinate the seed every bit as quickly, and obviates the disadvantages outlined.