Found a local compost, what do you think?

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by SonOfMarley, Mar 26, 2017.

1. Hello, Ive found a local place that does composting from cattle and hog manure with wood shavings.
    They lab tested it at 399ppm K, 760ppm Mg, 2350ppm Ca, pH of 7.0, 19.1 CEC meq/100g and very high in phosphorus (the number is cut off in the lab report so I cant see the exact amount, just the "vh" label)
    *edit* They also state that it has been composting for 3 years if that makes any difference.
    Would you consider this good quality compost? I noticed it doesnt say anything about Nitrogen in it...
    Thoughts?

2. if it has manure, it has nitro. has to. i THINK 3 years should be good, but you should ask that guy Jerry on the no till threads. He (i'm sure) could provide more info

• Like Like x 1
  3. Yea, that is what I was thinking too. But the lab report they posted doesnt show it. They just took a picture of the report and uploaded it, so it might of gotten cut off in the photo.. but thank you I will drop by there and ask!

4. If you have the time you could maybe get a small amount and try it on a couple of plants/mix this season and see how they react?

Definitely a more experience should chime in depending on ingredients, but you should ask what kind of wood (pine, fir, etc)...I'd assume they don't use anything hot (like cedar) but better to be safe than sorry!

Edit: one thing I will say is local is ALWAYS better if it works!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. good idea man!

6. Like BM said, the only way to know is to actually try it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. when it comes to "shit" it's all good stuff lol

• Like Like x 1
  8. Actually, manure from grass fed animals can be some of the most dangerous materials a person can compost with. Read about killer compost.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Yes most avoid poop. I thinking Jerry like poultry meal. This stuff is freeze dried and granulated. Poop is full of pathogens. You can get blood poisoning from poop getting in a cut.

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  10. I was avoiding poop because i heard it was to hot but wow didn't think it could kill you lol I've got writhing but rock dust and my compost. I cant find ewc... I think i might have found a compost made from food scraps. Its ecoscraps Brenda at walmart (i know, terrible) but I've hit everywhere i can think of like local garden centers.. i don't want to get things that i don't have to shipped here so yea lol

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk

11. Brown Death: A History of Poop As a Weapon
    Absolutely broseph! Poop is Death! Poop is Death! Poop is Death!

The shit WILL kill you! I watched it in a movie once?

At no time throughout the history of mankind has anyone ever successfully used poop in agricultural activities. For reals bro. True dat.

Cow shit been killing mofos with paper cuts since before the Jman came round.

Peace out to all my homies dealing with this shit.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Your local compost source may be your best bet. Ask questions from the seller. Do they use it themselves? What pesticides are used in the pasture or feed they receive? Can you see a garden where they have delivered this compost? How long in business? All good clues. I bet it will work just fine. Test it on a plant or two.

13. what poop are you talking about?

there is absolutely nothing wrong with using herbivore manure. its actually a staple fertilizer in many agriculture operations.
    i think @ElRanchoDeluxe was referring to grass fed because said grasses can sometimes be sprayed with herbicides which will still be present in the manure. but manure from animals who eat clean organic food is one of the best things to use in the garden...

• Like Like x 1
  14. Yep, I sure was Scooby. Thanks for clearing that up. The post about poop being death was meant to be humorous. Rather than being mad about my post being distorted and disinformation being spread, I tried to show how completely ridiculous such a notion actually is.

• Like Like x 3