Formula 1

Discussion in 'Planes, Trains & Automobiles' started by chocobo, May 11, 2011.

1. I forget how lucky I am to get BBC coverage of F1 and other sports.

Brundle and Coulthard are a sweet commentary pair, along with Brundle's pre-race grid walk and Coulthard and Eddie Jordan doing interviews in the pit beforehand. Really great coverage that always sets the scene perfectly for when the race actually starts. An hour of commercial free build up before the race. Awesome.

2. Totally! When I was living in Spain we had a SKY satellite and watched on BBC red button. I loved it and also how I could turn off the commentators if I just wanted to hear the cars.

Now since I'm back in the states I just download them. I don't have Speed Channel.

3. Ill be there but part of me doesnt wanna bother going.

Man, I used to be such an F1 fanatic but now the sport just bores me. They have taken it from one polar opposite to the other. It was a processional parade and now its artificial racing to make the broadcasting exciting.

4. Hang on... what?

1998-2004 : 2 different F1 championship winners

2005-2010 : 5 different F1 championship winners

How does more overtakes, more pitstops, different pit strategies, a larger field and more fan interaction bore you more than the Schumacher era that lost the sport so many fans through sheer boredom?

5. its bored me for a good decade now. The only difference is this year the fakeness of the racing bores me. More pointless overtakes, pitstops and slow backmarkers doesnt make racing more exciting.

6. Nah, I guess what makes racing exciting is lead and second place jockeying for position for the last 10 laps of the race and finishing less than half a second apart, which hasn't happened since.....

last weekend.

7. It wasnt that exciting. Hamilton was never gonna pip vettel. The RB had the advantage before the drs zone and vettel was always able to get on the gas much earlier.

Lets just agree to disagree, you clearly find it exciting, I dont. I also dont care enough to try and convince u otherwise.

8. Yeah agreed, the RB has a clear aero advantage in high speed corners. Though the reason I found it exciting was because it only required Vettel to make one mistake or go slightly wide in one corner and Hamilton could've taken it.

But fair play I guess...

Have people watched the full length Senna film? I just did last night and it was awesome. He was before my time so I had no idea how unlucky he was to die in that accident. No bruises, no broken bones, simply one piece of assembly striking his helmet.

Thankfully safety has been improved as a result. Comparing Massa's accident from a couple of seasons ago and Senna's, I know which one I would've said was fatal upon first inspection. It wouldn't have been Senna's.

9. Senna was the last f1 driver we lost. I didnt realize the movie was released already. I dont have high hopes for it honestly, but I hope it will prove me wrong. He was a special driver indeed. It still brings a tear to my eye thinking back on it. I cant believe its been over 17 years. God bless ratzenberger up in heaven also.

We are upon the eve of monaco so it only seems fit to remember the ascari legend as well. The following is copied and pasted for those not familiar with the story.

The eerie similarities between the deaths of Alberto and his father still haunt his fans to this day. Alberto Ascari died on 26 May 1955, at the age of 36. Antonio Ascari was also 36 when he died, on 26 July 1925 (Alberto was only 4 days older). Both father and son had won 13 championship Grand Prix and drove car number 26. Both were killed four days after surviving serious accidents and on the 26th day of the month. Both had crashed fatally at the exit of fast but easy left-hand corners and both left behind a wife and two children. Fans from all across the globe mourned as Alberto Ascari was laid to rest next to the grave of his father in the Cimitero Monumentale cemetery in Milan, to be forever remembered as one of the greatest racers of all time.

A distraught Mietta Ascari told Enzo Ferrari that "were it not for their children she would gladly have joined her beloved Alberto in heaven".

Another curiosity is that the only other driver to crash into the harbour at Monaco in the circuit's history, Paul Hawkins, also died on 26 May. Hawkins crashed into the harbour 10 years after Ascari, before dying when his Lola crashed into a tree at a Tourist Trophy race at Oulton Park in 1969.

Fuck I love racing.

10. Ive been waiting for Senna(film) for 4 years....Ive seen it but want to see it on the big screen lol....have to wait till august 12th

I was too young to see the turbo era when it happened...but even knowing the results of a race from the 80s....the races are still more exciting than today

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQu8J8lQD9k]YouTube - ‪1986 Spanish Grand Prix Finish‬‏[/ame]

jerez 1986...Senna Pos 1 Mansell + 0.014

now thats a photo finish

11. Today was the first time I really got to see the Monaco track outside of the F1 game I've been playing. It might be my new favorite track. That being said, during qualifying today, Sergio Perez had a bit of a nasty crash coming out of the tunnel:
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6w1uIVmlVk]YouTube - ‪Sergio Perez Crash - Big F1 Qualifying Crash - Monoco F1 GP 2011 Sergio Perez Big Crash‬‏[/ame]

Here are some images of the car afterward:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. GOOD LAWD. This race was unbelievable. Forgive me for being new to the sport and not having seen a lot of races before. So while I'm sure there have been plenty of better races, this one is the best I've ever seen. I was on edge the whole time.

I hope everyone else was able to catch the race today.

13. Am I the only one who hates the tire rule? I mean, if they only want to use one compound - why the heck not? Also, why limit the number of tires? I say run what ya brung...the more the merrier. :)

14. Yeah. I hate it as well. I get that it's supposed to add strategy to race, but I just find it a waste of speed and intensity.

15. If this was the case, the cars would be going fast enough to kill most drivers. Im all for it to be honest, but F1 relies on its strict rules to keep the sport viable as a racing formula and entertainment spectacle.

16. Good race at the weekend.

They should change the rules as to what can be changed on the grid during a red flag though, the last 8 laps would've been awesome to watch with Button on much fresher tyres than Vettel or Alonso. In all honesty I think it would've finished Button-Alonso-Vettel had they continued on those tyres, Vettel would have done 61 laps on a set of tyres if he'd gone race distance.

It's good to see that the Ferrari and Mclaren are at least within touching distance of the Red Bull on slower tracks though, ones less reliant on high speed downforce. Hopefully any more improvements to either will only lessen the gap.

Am I right in thinking there are 2 DRS zones at Montreal next race?

17. Speed channel was saying that Perez will mostly definitely be back for Canada. Not too sure about Petrov yet. I've only read that he had suffered a concussion and doctors haven't cleared him to drive yet.

18. The drivers are trained to release the steering wheel just before first or secondary impact if at all possible............. as opposed to hanging on for dear life ,to avoid breaking their hands & wrists when the wheels impact & jerk the steering wheel violently. sometimes even shielding the visor when they can.
    You can see the violent action on initial impact so he's certainly ready for the second.
    If you look close at the crash vid posted ........you can see Perez do so.