Formula 1

Discussion in 'Planes, Trains & Automobiles' started by chocobo, May 11, 2011.

1. #21 narcissistic, May 16, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2011
    I met one of Senna old rivals Mansell & got his sig. on my MX helmet In long beach 1993. (1st attachment)

also got to meet Jaques Villeneuve's in LB in "95"
    (2nd attachment top sig)

& the great Mario Andretti..also in LB
    (3rd attachment bottem sig.)

also have met & have ,Tony Bettenhausen,Raul Boesel , Richie Hearn & Christian Fittipaldi on it.

Christian had some terrible luck in Racing. Injured his feet pretty bad In Cart.

he also hit his team mate & back flipped over the finish In f-1.(Monza 93)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cciuTNyPyBE]YouTube - Christian Fittipaldi Backflip - Monza in 1993[/ame]
    [​IMG]

I ended up naming my Daughter Mika........ as in Hakkinin.

but after she was born I had to concentrate on her & dont know shit any more.
    But I have been getting back into it & have been watching Vettel.
    Pretty Impressive.
    But I dont think anyone will impress me like Jacques did.

At only 24.....The only man to be penalized 2 laps(5 Miles due to passing the Pace car) at the Indy 500 & still win (also due to Scott Goodyear passing the Pace car (DOH!).

Bad Mistake that cost Scott the win & gave it to Jacques who had time to make up the 2 lap Penalty & was running second at the time.

Jacques Villeneuve came from behind to win an Indy 500 - 06.05.95 - SI Vault

I guess one could say That Jacques Won the Indy 505? (He lapped the field..........TWICE!!:eek:

I'll never forget the great combination Of Jacques & His awesome Manager Barry green.
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. I love F1...

Only been watching it for the last few seasons though, and only religiously for the last two.

Gotta love Vettel, but I can't help but think it's a combination if him being an awesome driver AND being in a better car. After all in Qualy at each race this season he's put almost exactly the same distance of 0.4 seconds between him and 2nd place.

As far as favourite tracks go... it has to be Spa. The fact that they managed to maintain Eau Rouge even after it was remodelled from a road circuit is spectacular. Can't beat a chicane like that at 170mph with such an incline. Makes for some awesome racing that track. Monaco will always have a place though, but these days with pit strategy and the width of modern cars you see so little overtaking the actual racing can be kinda boring there.

3. Speaking of Senna, did you guys hear about the documentary on him coming out next month? I think I have a youtube link to the whole movie. Let me know if you guys are interested in that link, I'll look for it again.

4. It's been out for a while man.

5. Not really.

And vettel is just quick in the fastest car, his actual racecraft is his greatest weakness. Everyone knows Adrian Newey is the fastest one on the grid anyways.

6. #26 narcissistic, May 18, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2011
    Son of the great Gilles Villeneuve, Jacques Accomplished some impressive things in his rather short F-1 Career.

In 96 He signed on for two years with The Williams team.
    He Qualified 1st in his First f-1 race which only Hamilton has been able to accomplish since.

He was leading late in the Race(Australia) but The need & order to slow his pace(Oil Leak) in order to finish the race is the only reason his team mate Damon Hill was able to pass & take the win away.

Jacques later went on to win in only his fourth F-1 race, beating even the unstoppable Schumy at The Nurburgring.

Hamilton being also the only other driver to match the four wins that Jacques had in his first Season. very impressive for sure.

In only his second season (97) he won the F-1 Championship Title but not after shumy intentionally tried to take him out near the end of the race.

Obviously some Jealousy (on mikes part) of what Jacques was about to accomplish.
    I lost a lot of respect for Schumacher that day.

The Sanctioning body didn't think too highly of him either as they disqualified him form the Championship.
    I remember that I had bet a friend $500.oo that Jacques would win it within 3 years but never got paid.
    I knew it would happen.

Mike has a great record in F-1 for sure but Schumacher was said to be afraid to race on a high speed oval like Indy & never did.

Fucking Jacques also lapped the whole Field TWICE & went on to win The Indy 505.

Un frickin Heard of!

A very sensible young driver that understood all aspects of racing.

it's awesome to see the young so capable & mature.

F-1 & racing in general takes Zen like focus & concentration. Like a fighter pilot.
    Your Breathing & heart rate are going so fast & you don't even realize it.
    Even Your ASS actually becomes a very important high tech sensor.

It's not necessarily the fastest car & driver that wins.

It's all about keeping your head , managing your ride & setting the pace.

Ask any Pro.......It's true.

I love & Miss Racing.

7. Narc, what did you used to pilot?

8. I love F1. Still have to watch the turkey race that I downloaded, but no time yet. Great think about the game F1 2010 is you get a better understanding about the track layout.

Went in 2005 (last year of the V-10's) to the canadian grand prix and loved the whole weekend we were there. Nothing like hearing those cars in person to get your heart racing. Plus we found some bud and smoked at the track down by the small creek all three days, practice, qualifying, and race.

9. Just a friendly F1 reminder.

24 hours - 30 minutes until 2011 Formula 1 Gran Premio de España Santander, Circuit de Catalunya, aka the Spanish Gand Prix.

~2.9 mile track:

[​IMG]

Overtaking - making the impossible, possible at Barcelona, Formula 1

On SPEED Channel:
    Friday Practice 5/20 @ 8am EST
    Saturday Qualifying 5/21 @ 8am EST
    Sunday Race 5/22 @ 7:30am EST

FORMULA ONE - F1 News, Formula One Racing, and Pictures of F1 Babes on SPEED

They will probably replay them later in the day but just in case...you can definitely find and set your DVR for those times.

10. Practice 1 today I guess?

Get to see if the aero improvements that everyone were talking about for Barcelona have made the gap to Red Bull smaller. Not that Vettel won't be sandbagging of course.

11. My bad, practice 1 is tomorrow.

Just picked up this story as well:

BBC - F1 Gossip

So looks like McLaren are going hard at closing the gap to Red Bull. There's no doubt in my mind that Hamilton and Button are as good drivers as Vettel and I actually think if they can get up to the same pace they're better at race craft, overtaking as well as defensive driving than the current championship leader.

I just hope this isn't the start of another period where a German dominates the Championship race for the foreseeable future.

12. mclaren is trying make up for the lost time they will see with the new blown diffuser regulations

13. It was a hell of a race today. McLaren and Redbull both came at each other pretty hard. Well, more Hamilton and Vettel. Alonso also came off great in the beginning, but fell short early on.

I don't want to ruin it for anyone who hasn't had a chance to catch it yet though. Just know it was pretty damn close. I was a little on edge the last 10 laps.

14. Last 10 laps were awesome.

Button proved that there are two different pit strategies that can get you a podium.

Awesome race overall.

15. Anybody here taking a trip to Montreal for the race?

16. Less than 3 days until Monaco. Can't wait!

17. Are the practices and qualifiers really worth watching? I watched the practices for Turkish Gran Prix, but just didn't find them all that interesting. So I just skipped the ones for Barcelona.

18. I Like Qualifying because the drivers go balls out for grid position. You see some of the more aggressive attempts in qualifying. The drivers take risks & chances that they wont usually take during the race in order to be up front on the grid. Minimum fuel loads makes for some fast laps.
    The race is more of a longer term management process. Less chances taken & a bit more conservative.

19. Yeah, I find qualifying worth watching every week, but practice is a bit hit and miss.

The times set in qualifying are awesome and Martin Brundle's commentary of a pole sitting lap is sick as fuck.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gv5mD1fbhNY]YouTube - ‪BBC F1 2011 - 3 CHN - Sebastian Vettel's pole lap round Shanghai with Martin Brundle (HD)‬‏[/ame]

20. Yep! And they will grow on you. I try to never miss any Formula 1 racing because once it's over, man is it a long boring wait until next season.

If I remember correctly the coverage provided by SPEED isn't the best but you can download the coverage provided by the BBC on demonoid or other torrent sites. BBC is commercial free and has great announcers/interviews, etc.