Forgiveness.

Discussion in 'Real Life Stories' started by Maleficus, Jun 19, 2015.

1. Okay so I have to share this experience somewhere. Apologies if there's a better thread for this.

For awhile now I have become more and more...I guess 'spiritual' is the best way to describe it. I have become, or am becoming, more passive, more relaxed and simply more loving towards...well everything!

But I want to focus on one particular action that has perplexed me for some time now and, as you probably guessed by the title, that action is forgiveness. A very strange occurrence happens, to me at least, when I forgive something or someone. Usually our train of thought follows: Logical Reasoning - Action
    For example: The light is red, it's dangerous-> I stop the car   or  
    She hit me because she's mean -> I feel resentment

However when it comes to forgiving, which I practice often, the usual train of thought appears to be reversed. I notice that when I forgive, even without apparent reasoning at the time, suddenly the reasons for forgiveness become clear, and it seems only logical to forgive.
    For example: Car drives past really fast in a suburban zone.
    Before feeling anger or hate, and condemning the driver for putting our safety at risk, you forgive first and suddenly thoughts such as: well maybe he/she is on the way to the hospital, maybe his pregnant wife is in the car and she's in labor, perhaps there's an emergency, I don't even know their name who am I to judge?

This train of thought I have experienced many times now. And regardless of the crime committed or the action taken, there is always a reason to forgive. Remember forgiving is not about letting evil get away or the deletion of justice. It's about not letting that evil affect you personally and to stop you  becoming  what you fight.  

Again this is only my experience, I do not claim it is the same for everyone and I know the examples may be a bit generalized, however I hope I got my message across.

"Forgive, and you will love" - Into the Wild

p.s I know forgiveness could be classed as an emotion or something different from an action, but the premise is still the same.

2. Wonderful, just don't be a doormat.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Grasscity Forum mobile app