Forearm tattoos and jobs?

Discussion in 'Tattoo, Piercings and Body Art' started by GanjFarmer', Mar 13, 2013.

1. I'm thinking of going to get a tattoo this weekend when I get paid. My cousin is a tattoo artist so I can get pretty cheap tats. I want to get something for my dad who was murdered when I was little. Only thing is I want it on the inside of my forearm or along my forearm like if you held your forearm across your body it's on the outside. Only thing that worries me is employment. I have a job now but I don't plan on staying there forever. So any of you guys have forearm tats? And if you do could you tell me the struggles, if there were any, with getting a job from your tattoo.

2. I don't have any visible tattoos for that precise reason. Now I'm not saying you'll never get a job, even a great job, with visible tattoos. However it will put you at a clear disadvantage and there will be positions you will automatically be dismissed for because you violate the dress code. Really it depends on the industry, job, and employer. Industry is especially important. Are you going to be in the sort of industry that doesn't mind tattoos (working in a tattoo shop, various sorts of arts). Are you going to be a white collar worker? Are you going into be a doctor? Your attire will probably cover them if you're going into the sort of industry that requires sleeves at all times. Otherwise? Meh.

Yes tattoos can be covered. But what are your options, long sleeved year round? That can get uncomfortable. Arm bands? Those may not be allowed. Make up? It works, but it's tedious to cover a tattoo (not to mention expensive. Good cover up isn't cheap) and will rub off.

I'm not saying don't get the tattoo, but definitely think long and hard about the placement. Your dad wouldn't want you to intentionally give yourself a big disadvantage in life for a memorial. Also consider that the body is a big canvas, and a good 70% of it isn't visible in the light of day. There are other places to put your tattoo. Maybe on your ribs? Close to your heart?

3. If your worried about employment then you shouldn't get visable tattoos. I have visable tattoos and my job doesn't have any policy about them. But I doubt you would want to work at McDonalds.

You have to think about your future. Visiable tats can fuck you over but I much rather have art than money. As long as I make steady income I'm happy. I have always looked at money as an evil item on this planet. In my eyes, my chesire cat is much more valuable to me than a note.

Also, never worry about how much a tattoo should cost. You get what you pay for.

4. Back story before my answer, I have my hands and fingers completely covered, both sleeves almost finished and a tattoo in each ear as my highly visible tattoos. I got all my visible work when I was still working construction and thought "What the hell it's construction no one cares." About 8 months ago I got laid off but was thinking it would be easy to find another job I have a strong resume. I was mistaken a bit. I went 6 months before finding the job I am at now which luckily encourages my tattoos.

That being said I personally say go for it as I would not get rid of any of the tattoos I have and am constantly getting more as they are my passion. Be sure it is what you want to do though as once you get it it is there for good. I am normally more worried about a pee test when I go in to interviews rather than my tattoos and piercings.

5. I got a forearm tattoo that goes up to my wrist. I just wore a long dress shirt to my interview, and when my boss saw it about a week later he told me they didn't mind if I wore a short sleeve. I was just working at an outlet in a mall though. Although most "professional" jobs where you work with people on a regular basis, they will just make you wear a long sleeve shirt.

In short, go get the tattoo man. If you haven't already.

6. There are tons of guys I work with that are covered in ink, but this is a factory; the employer doesn't give a shit what you look like. Most "manual labor" type jobs generally won't discriminate much towards tattoos, I think. Though, it probably depends on the area you live in.

That said, I wouldn't recommend getting tattoos you can't easily hide. My legs, chest, and back will be drilled long before I touch my arms. If I had something I really wanted done on my arms (and not somewhere else), I still would probably hold off. I've got many years a head of me and plenty of time to be tattooed, so I figure there's no rush to get something that could potentially hinder my career.

Granted, tattoos are very personal, so you should get what you feel is right for you. Arms aren't that difficult to hide, as long as you don't mind wearing long sleeve shirts year-round.