Forcing plant to grow hermie?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by WithBongInHand, Apr 28, 2012.

1. How would one force (or increase the chance of) a plant turning hermie?

2. Do everything wrong.

3. Hah! More specific please xD I could do everything wrong and kill the plant. What would you do to turn it hermie?

4. Why would you want to do that? Nothing good comes from having hermies.

5. #5 CL4P-TP, Apr 28, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 28, 2012
    you're only gonna make hermie seeds, not fems.

you NEED a stable plant ( aka one that doesn't herm) and then use chemicals ( Colloidal Silver and Gibberlic Acid are the most commonly used) to make it turn.

you every bred before .cause if not, you should know... You're jumping not into the deep end of the pool , but shark infested waters

6. OP There is truth and fiction in this post in your thread.

This poster might have a lot of posts here and a lot of experience but they seem to lack a certain attitude that should accompany a community of people helping each other. Maybe that is not what he is here for I don't know.

He is very very right about the chemical and the production of FEM seeds. Producing a hermie WILL NOT GET YOU THERE you will end up with nothing but high % chance of hermie on those seeds.

Where he is not really being all that clear is that it is his opinion that it is very complex ...aka his shark comment... Go out and read the information that is available on this subject and then make up your own mind about its complexity and what you could do. It really is not that complex and do not think for a second that all these breeders selling fem seeds are somehow botanists or PhD level scientists producing seeds in clean room labs. I have witnessed the production of seeds from a seed bank. I cannot say which as I have made that agreement with the owner but they are just normal folks with normal lives and are not some mad scientists, they are just people with DRIVE and intelligence. If you have both or either you will succeed if you are willing to work for it.

Concentrate your research on the chemicals you need to use and their safe handling first. Then learn how to use them on your plant, then design an area to perform your treatment and grow your seeds. If you try and fail you have discovered one way not to do it and are one step closer to your success.

7. If you really, actually want a hermie, let some light leak into your grow area.

I honestly don't know why anyone would want a herm though.

8. then please, by all means fill me in. why am I here? Or go try to discredit someone else.

how may fem seeds have you set BTW ?

I am not lying when I say it is a "shark tank" compared to setting regs.. one can be done by any idiot , and get decent results ..but not any idiot can make feminized seeds ( proven by all the "why'd my free UFO feminized seed go herm" threads on this site)

9. Ok first off, I'm just a curious newbie asking questions. The only reason I want to know is because I read that herm plants grow bud and seeds. I'm not trying to fem seeds or anything. Just want seeds and bud from the same plant.

In your eyes, it may be a shark tank, but you didn't say why. I'd like to hear why.

Thank you all, im just trying to learn :)

10. okay, and fair enough ( question has been asked a few times recently for the purpose of fem'ing seeds).

the answer is simple, with regular pollination ( male & female) it's pretty cut an dried. you pollinate, wait 4-6 weeks, harvest seeds .. "rinse, repeat" when you start to run out of seeds.

producing fems requires you to know each plant like the back of your hand. cause you need ot be able to see when the reversal is taking place, so as not to accidentally accept any environmentally stress induced pollen. which takes an affinity with that strain/cut.

you have to be able to get chems at right PPMs to even induce sexual reversal ( not too hard for a seasoned Hydro grower, I'll admit). but these are not your average garden chems.. most of the techniques for using things like GA3 are really only taught at the collegiate level in Agri. Schools.

then the last but not least reason why .. you can be 3/4s the way through a crop and realize it's all "trash" cause of something that happened before the plants were even germ'd

11. Female seeds from a hermie plant have a huge chance of turning from female to male and or, turning hermie at will. They make poor breeding stock and are unstable.

Only reliable way is to breed a true male with a true female and harvest the seeds as Wharfrat suggests.....

12. I kept a plant to long and the lower bud hermied. Ive run 3 grows from that baby of 6 plantd each time. Every seed is fem and havent had a one hermie since the original plant.im working on a collodial silver run now. I plan to post a journal on this grow. I've seen it done with mucho success so i think i can do it.

13. I see this thread is really old but figured id bump it back anyways because the info is useful. Hermie plants do not produce hermie children unless the herm was caused by genetics and not stress. Once a plant has the genetic mutation causing them to herm they will pass this on to subsequent plants. However, if you have a female plant that is stable genetically and you can force it to herm by stressing it, then all of the seeds will in turn be feminized and shouldn't herm at higher rates as they are essentially clones of the female plant. There are several ways to go about this but leaking light on to the plants during the dark period and overheating your room temporarily are two options. There is also a spray sold that stresses the plants and causes them to herm, this is how feminized seeds are generally created by online seed banks and the like as i understand it.

• Like Like x 1
  14. I have about a decade of cultivation experience under my belt. I've learned you have to know your genetics like the back of your hand and use the science of observation to know what your doing. Everything has to do with the genetics you work with. If the plant turns hermie on its own its because you most likely are stressing it out or not growing it properly. Not every strain grows the same way due to different geological locations of its parents like for example trying to grow a pure afghan landrace in a harsh winter climate compared to its normal desert terrain. I've never had hermies unless I did something to cause it to herm. When you stress a feminized plant into a hermie than use that pollen to pollinate another female you DO NOT have any chance of passing on hermie genetics. Weak growing/breeding techniques is what causes high chance hermie seeds. If you clone a plant thats hermed than you will have another hermed plant. You cant take a clone from a stressed unhealthy plant and expect it to grow healthy. My phenotype Hunza valley landrace is literally difficult to hermie even with high stress levels due to its original rugged geological location. I'm not a professional commercial cultivator but I do know whats fact and when stoners bragg to make themselves look smarter. My years of personal experience have taught me to never rely on someone else to teach you how to grow most people will lie to you just to keep the real methods underground.