Forbidden fruit or weed?

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by bestday, Jun 22, 2011.

1. So last night i got pretty high and randomly i had this thought loop that would not go away, that the forbidden fruit was actually just weed.

I don't know where my stance currently is with "religion" but i found this thought interesting at the time. what do you guys think?

2. The forbidden fruit was a fig :rolleyes:.

But really, it's more of a metaphor to resist all temptations brought on by babylonians. JAH!

3. This is a fantastic story and I'd like to offer you an interpretation that I found in Harold Kushner's How Good Do We Have To Be?

Basically, the forbidden fruit that was eaten was the fruit of the tree of knowledge of good and evil, and by gaining this information of good and evil, we were cast out of the Garden of Eden and our suffering is a result of that. Kushner's twist is that this isn't a punishment or a bad thing, but a necessary step in our growth as humans that we chose. This knowledge gives depth and richness to our lives that animals don't have, and I think most people would agree that the most important things in their lives are not things found in the Garden (family, love, etc.). We weren't meant for the Garden, and eating the forbidden fruit was a brave step in our growth.

In that sense, weed can absolutely be that forbidden fruit for you, as it can bring us knowledge through experiences that we otherwise would have missed.

4. Yeah... it could have been weed...

Or an apple... or an orange...

Or a coconut?

5. The forbidden fruit was obviously taking the virginity of Eve. Premarital sex is frowned upon by God, even before marriage existed. By Adam and Eve having sex, they broke their covenant (promise) with God. The story clearly showed how tempting it is to break Gods Law but also showed how you will be rewarded if you follow him.

The apple represented Eves virginity, the snake represented temptation.

Fortunately, weed is NOT the forbidden fruit because that would cause havoc in my life and many others.

6. I'm pretty sure they didn't start having sex until after they left the Garden, which means after they ate the fruit. They weren't allowed to eat from the Tree of Life in the Garden so they didn't need to sex it up until they left. I bet once they did they though they didn't miss the garden too much :D