Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

For those who get paranoid...

Discussion in 'Seasoned Marijuana Users' started by Holocron, Apr 8, 2010.

1. And anxious from smoking weed. I have been smoking for almost five years and I have always felt terrible feelings of dread, fear, and anticipation almost every time I smoked. I kept smoking because I absolutely love the other, more pleasurable effects.

Today, I came to the realization that I smoke too fast. I take one hit after the other with mere seconds in between. After that, I realized that every time I take bong rips, my anxiety is at it's worse. This is where I concluded that I can still smoke a lot of weed and get really high without the associated paranoia and anxiety.

The trick is, in my case, taking one hit every five or ten minutes. For me, the most enjoyable way for me to smoke is doing this while watching a movie that keeps my focus. This also decreases the burn out from smoking a lot, further improving the quality of the sesh.

Just thought I'd share in the hopes of helping someone who is in the same boat as me. First post!

2. Wonderful first post, and welcome to the city.

This is something I had to discover after developing anxiety issues. I smoked for years before I developed an anxiety problem from my world being changed upside down.

After that, I would get a panic attack almost everytime I smoked. I took a long break until I worked out my issues. Then when I tried to smoke same thing happened.

I then tried taking one hit, waiting 10 minutes, seeing how I felt, then taking another, or not, and so on.

It works wonders. Too many people feel like they have to rush and power smoke a bowl instead of taking their sweet time.

I can't tell you how many times friends have looked at me oddly or tried to pressure me into smoking faster than I'd like to.

3. I get paranoid sometimes/anxious when I smoke, depending on set and setting, usually it's just about police or something stupid. But I don't really let it bother me and since I'm stoned my mind usually just wanders elsewhere.

But I feel you OP on the taking time between hits. I'll sit in my room and chill with my bong and sometimes takes 5-10 minutes between hits during a sesh. Sometimes I even forget to take the next hit!

4. Wow I am the same way! I haven't been smoking for 5+ years but i'd say at least 80 to 90% of the time I smoke i'll get bad anxiety but I keep doing it because once that passes I love the other effects! I also have learned to watch how much I smoke. My roomate I smoke with is a bad influence so to speak because he always urges me to smoke more and I usually give in ;) But I am starting to concentrate on controlling my intake more which is giving me better and better highs. Congrats on coping with the same thing bro. :hello:

5. I only get paranoid when i'm outside or at someone elses house. All worries fade away when i'm in my smoke spot.

6. I honestly didn't know that the anxiety/paranoia that i've heard assosciated with the glorious herb was that intense for people!

I smoke more then the average stoner and I rarely feel any paranoia when bugged and if I do, I would feel the same paranoia sober so its no biggie. (For example seeing a undercover cop looking car driving slowly down the street i'm walking when i have bud/pieces on me)

I've smoked with alot of other people who feel the paranoia that the above posts express but I thought they were just blowing it out of proportion because of the rumors they've heard about how weed gets you paranoid.

7. I also mae that discovery awhile back. It seems to help alot.

8. I know what you mean about paranoia and anxiety. When i just started smoking, my friends would dread smoking with me because i had severe, and when i say severe i mean fucking bad, panic attacks and anxiety. I wouldn't be able to enjoy my high because all i was thinking about was that im going to get caught.

After years of smoking i realized that absolutely nothing happens. Never get caught and everything works out in the end. Its something i can not explain, but no matter what the situation, everything works out in the end. Every time i get the slightest bit of anxiety or paranoia i just remember that nothing happens and i just enjoy the bud.

<- Is ripped at the moment ahah

9. I used to have some terrible anxiety and smoked with a lot of friends, so my hits were light and not very frequently. The first time I smoked alone, however, I smoked quickly and had a terrible panic attack. So the frequency of hits you take it probably it. If you ease into it, you'll probably have better experiences. Happy smoking. :]

10. i like to turn off my lights and sit in my room with my headphones on. it feels like nothing exists outside of a small 3 foot radius of me. this makes me feel very secure.

11. same i have that severe paranoia. i think it helps to just close your eyes. and drink lots of water.

12. Thanks for the rep and welcomes guys. This method has been working out great for me today. It's also much easier to control the odor when you're only taking one hit every now and then.

13. i had been a heavy smoker (at least 2-3 blunts a day) for years when i started getting severe panic attacks. 2 of which landed me in the emergency room because i was so scared. now i am like a one hit wonder, lol, taking just a hit or two and sitting with it before smoking more. i enjoy the high a lot more, and don't go through so much weed.

if anyone needs to talk about their panic or anxiety, i've been through it all. feel free to reach out. :)

14. All my 'anxiety' around smoking was always just related to me being scared of getting caught.

Once I realized nobody is going to come running/driving/yelling or whatever at me for smoking my anxiety stopped.

15. I find that your surroundings and environment make a big difference. If Im playing some good music it helps alot. It also helps when I'm with good company (not just anyone). It also helps to have a light meal before you smoke to make sure your blood sugar doesnt drop which some "wake-n-bakers" complain about (some pass out).

Another big thing is the strain you smoke.. if you're buying off the street or just a dealer then you dont always know what you're getting. If you live in a MMJ state you have the option to try different strains. I read about the whole Indica/Sativa thing and tried both types but still get anxiety from either variety so I've come to the conclusion that it really does not matter whether its Indica or Sativa but what matters is the particular strain.

Lately I've been picking up some "Blue Dream" strain which is a Sativa dominant and its been great so far. I've been vaporizing it. I take a hit and relax for a few minutes.. if I feel like I need another hit then I go again. Its the best way to control it, never feel that you have to keep taking quick hits to impress anyone.

16. can see that orange font from a mile away =D

17. Word is bond

18. The reason you feel paranoid is that they really are out to get you. The weed just opened your mind to it.

19. if i get really stoned and iam in the pitch dark awake with my eyes open i see shadows moving all around the room. And i found out that if i cross eye myself you know when you make both eyes go slose to each other i go into this like other world for like 10 seconds were theres nothing but black and screaming and moving shit yeah i know really weird.

to avoid something like this happening.
    1: keep a light on anything maybe a small lamp or even a cell phone light.
    2:you can always eat.
    3:This takes care of step 1 but watch tv or a movie.
    4:hangout with friends.
    5:call a close friend and talk for a while.

these all work for me :)

20. There's also a strain called "Strawberry Cough" which is supposed to give you the Sativa high without the paranoia. I heard it was bred to be like that. It produces a nice, smooth smoke, too.

Another thing to remember is that you really are Okay and not in jeopardy. People in general don't care enough to be out to get you. They are too busy dealing with their own stuff.