For those who are independent: How did you do it?

Discussion in 'General' started by ReadThis, Dec 31, 2010.

1. I've been living away from home for a year and a half, and it has been hard. I saved up money to move, and now its all gone. I have nothing to show for living away from home besides an apartment. My car sounds like its going to blow up. And paycheck to paycheck lifestyle fuckin blooooows. Especially when working retail. How did you get on your feet? I know I can, if I know HOOOOOOOOW!? Thanks. :hello:

2. Worked on essential skills (especially people/customer service) and took risks.

3. Don't bother yourself with the American Dream. Fuck a 3000 sq ft house with a two car garage. Don't go in debt. Learn to live with what ya got and watch all your friends drive themselves nuts with ambition and bills. In the end most folks are chasing the wind, busting their ass to get somewhere but never arriving - never content. Life's short. Don't waste it on the pursuit of shit that will inevitably end up in a landfill. Independence means providing for yourself. Figure out what you really like to do and start doing it. At least start taking steps in that direction. Living is much easier when your head isn't imprisoned by your own and everyone else's bullshit.

4. I am in a very similar situation. I ask myself a lot how I do it. But soon I will start school, so my future will be a lot better. I just take it one day at a time. Also, I have 2 retail jobs, so that helps.

5. Hey dude. Well, I came away to University (college) in a random town a ways away from where I grew up. Did my degree, and then went into retail. What I did was, worked my way up to a management position. But then, I jumped ship because I hated retail, lol!

It depends, some people find it a rewarding career. But I've found the most important things to be:

Showing that you are reliable, conscientious, honest, punctual, have a good attitude and show you've got team spirit. Like if your store needs an extra shift covering, offer to do it. Managers love that shit, when you go out of your way to help the team. But make sure people know about it ;) lol

I did not want to be in my retail job. I now have a job working for a charity which I just love, but even so, in the retail job I remembered to always display the above qualities. I think the above and showing initiative (which NOBODY does in retail!) helped me climb the ladder, which in turn looked good on my CV when I applied for my next job.

If you have a good attitude and do the things I said above, people will be impressed by you, and you can try to progress, or else change career. But remember, your current manager will be writing your reference. So it never hurts to be a good employee. And to kiss ass OCCASSIONALLY.