For those of you who love macaroni & cheese

Discussion in 'The Great Indoors' started by fluxo, Feb 24, 2009.

1. There was a post elsewhere on GC about mac & cheese, and I got to craving it so here's a recipe for my grandmother's Macaroni & Cheese - straight from the redneck hills of Western NY.

Fluxo's Grandmother's Famous Macaroni & Cheese

Ingredients:
    • About 1 lb. Macaroni (or other Pasta)
    • 1/2 cup Milk, warmed
    • Shredded Cheddar Cheese, as much or little as you like (plus other types of cheese) - I've found that buying a block of cheese and shredding comes out tasting the best.
    • 1 egg, slightly beaten
    • Butter/Margarine
    • Bread Crumbs (Optional)
    • Hot Sauce (Optional) - I recommend Frank's, it's a classic
    • Salt
    • Pepper
    • Nutmeg
    • Casserole Dish

Procedure:
    1. Heat oven to 350 degrees F and boil macaroni as usual while pre-heating.
    2. Spray or butter the casserole dish, so that nothing sticks.
    3. Gather all ingredients while pre-heating oven and cooking macaroni. You need to move quickly later on so be ready with everything.
    4. Drain macaroni and put back in the same pot, but NOT back on the hot stove burner. (Remember to turn off stove burner! Caution: Pot is hot!)
    5. Quickly add about 3/4 of shredded cheese, egg, about half of the milk, and a couple pats of butter. Stir, Stir, Stir! Keep stirring so that the macaroni doesn't get burned.
    6. Once the cheese is melted and it's all mixed, evaluate: If everything seems too dry, you can add another egg or some more milk. You want to achieve a custard-like consistency. Some people like their macaroni & cheese wet, and some like it dry, so consider your own preferences here.
    7. Season by adding a pinch of salt, pepper, nutmeg, and a dash of hot sauce. Keep mixing! Taste the macaroni! Hint: If it tastes good now, it will taste good when it's done :)
    8. Pour into prepared casserole dish.
    9. Gently mix in the rest of the shredded cheese.
    10. Sprinkle bread crumbs on top to your own liking. I like a crunchy top, so I put a lot. You can also leave them out if you don't like them.
    11. Bake in oven for 20-30 minutes, or until the cheese on top is bubbling and it looks ready, it should be golden yellow in color. Chances are if it looks done, then it is. You can always taste it if you aren't sure!
    12. Let cool and enjoy! It's great re-heated too and refrigerates well.

I hope this goes to good use, as I'm now realizing I spent a good hour typing it up haha :rolleyes: I realize a lot of guides and recipes on GC have pictures lately, but I got the idea to type up the recipe at 5 AM and then started it at 6 AM, and I was much too comfortable under my blanket to get up and cook. Also, I bought my camera while on vacation in Spain and it only has the European style plug and I don't think my battery would last (I know, stupid move, but it was a really good deal and I have an adapter at home, just forgot to bring it to college with me).

Enjoy the cheesy goodness GC :smoke:

2. Also, I posted this in general because the recipe doesn't include marijuana. It would be cool to adapt it for that (I've heard of special mac & cheese), but the recipe only calls for a couple pats of butter and no oil, so I not sure how to add in the weed.

3. i could eat mac & cheese every untill i die. not really but i love it.

4. I ate tinned mac/cheese today, I microwaved it, it tasted like shit but I was hungry...

5. Do you cook? If you make this it can easily last a couple dinners and lunches, and the ingredients are pretty cheap.

6. I love homemade mac & cheese. I never eat it out of a box.

I make it pretty much the same way, but I use 3-4 types of cheeses and sometimes crumbled bacon.

7. That recipe sounds great, I'll probably try it soon :)

One thing I do when I have a craving for good mac & cheese is to make a box of kraft but replace half the cheese packet with about 3 oz of shredded cheddar. I add a touch more milk than the recipe calls for and then stir it over medium heat until all the cheese melts. Homemade is still way better though.

8. I definitely agree, 3-4 types of cheese is a great way to do it!

That's a good idea. I haven't eaten Kraft Mac&Cheese since I was in kindergarten though because I used to eat it like every day and now it just tastes gross to me and I can't eat it. Funny how that also happened to me with a bunch of other foods.

9. Or a plastic bowl that contains the word "Easy"...

Now I wait for Floydians response, haha.

10. Bookmarked this nice recipe. I'll have to try this when I get the proper ingredients. Kinda broke right now and can't afford to buy anything but the necessities. Bummer.

11. Would love to see a pic of the Mac & Cheese.
    I think I am going to try and make this. It sounds really good!!

12. mac and cheese is kick ass

13. hell yes. This recipe looks good. I'll have to try it out.

for some reason, the kraft shapes taste alot fucking better than the plain noodles. It will always be a mystery to me. Damn do I love mac and cheese.