for sale by owner

Discussion in 'Real Life Stories' started by shambala, Feb 6, 2013.

1. I'm selling my car (2000 Honda Accord LX) and have a few people coming buy in a couple days to check it out/drive it.

First time doing this, getting more money for my car seemed like a good option for selling on my own. Just kind of sketch about test driving. I live in the city and wonder if I should bring a knife with me or something.

Anybody have experience doing this?

2. Hold his Driver license and his keys.

3. i actually have a guy pulling up in my driveway in about ten minutes to buy my first truck from me. i just pulled my subs and shit out. it was passed to me from my grandfather so im abit sad but alas it is what it is, as for you situation i would just bring your man paws

4. Well I don't own a car so I'm new to this, but wouldn't you go with the person to let them test drive it..?

5. Yeah, def. have your shit ready, and DO NOT bring a knife, maybe mace or pepper spray but i've been apart of 2 seperate car sales where large amounts of cash were a factor and knives ended up coming out, nothing happened both times but holy fuck that goes wild and out of control very very fast.

6. i sold a car like that... i sat in the passenger seat during the test drive... it was in the suburb though... just be safe, maybe invite your boys so you have backup

7. I'm trying to sell my jeep yj, but I live in Canada so if someone tries to car jack me during a test drive they'll be polite about it.

8. they will need their driver's license to test drive the car..

9. Haha thanks guys, what about the title transfer? Do I just give it to the buyer and let them go to the DMV and pay the fee...etc.?

10. Yep, you just fill in your info on the back of the title, and they'll fill out their part and take it into the DMV or local town municipality office and will submit the title to be transferred to them. Make sure you write out a receipt (2 copies, one for each of your records) that has a place for both parties to sign. That should be all they need from you.

11. yeah cause every dude has mace/ pepper spray for those unpredictable moments...

12. Bring a pit bull with you .lol.you should be fine.but you can never be to carful with unknowns

13. Ha thanks everyone. Since I've got some of you here, might as well let you know how it goes. The sale is tomorrow @ 5:30pms EST.

14. Well just sold it today for $1200! Although it was convenient to have and everything, I spent so much money to keep it running smoothly/safely. I feel richer already! The guy's mechanic even gave me a ride back into the city so I could get to work on time. So pumped to have so much money, I think I'm gonna save half and use the other half to pay off college loans.