For my birthday....

Discussion in 'General' started by Koolshot55, Aug 25, 2009.

1. Im going to buy myself an animal. I have a dog (chocolate lab, cody) love him to death. But as a present to myself i want to buy myself either a baby python, baby bearded lizard or a ferret lol. I need help deciding and if anyone has any of these animals then feel free to tell me about caring for them and what not.

2. id say the easiest to maintain and to love would be a ferret. you can never go wrong with mammals. the python you'd have to make sure his habitat was JUST right and buy mice and shit ALL the time. same deal with the lizard, except not mice, but crickets. ferret eats little ferret pellets, and is nice and furry, and as far as personality goes, he may have a chance of having the most. seriously no joke. have a good birthday bro. this bowl's for you

3. Ferrets are sometimes ass wild, and it's NECESSARY to get them de-scented. Lots of people love them and they really can make great pets. Maybe a chinchilla would be suited to you. Have you looked into getting another dog, maybe an adoption perhaps?

4. A Pet Rock. I'll sell you this one for a reasonable price. :ey:

dont have to worry about feeding it, watering it, it wont mess in your house, it doesnt smell, it makes no noise at all! You wont have to spend another dime on it once you have your very own Pet Rock!

5. I have thought of adopting a female yellow lab since cody (my other dog) loves female dogs and gets along with them great. I just dont know if im ready for the challenge just yet. Also i really want a ferret but i dont know how my dog would get along with him ???:confused:

6. Get a second dog dude! Most people 'think' it will be more work but in fact most of the time it ends up being less since the dogs entertain each other. People with one dog I think really underestimate a dogs primal desire to be with their own kind. Only thing that sucks is double vet bills.

Getting a ferret you don't know what work is yet! Lol my friend had one and they get into everything and everywhere. Unfortunately hers got in the dishwasher and they turned it on without realizing.

Lizards/snakes can be more work than you expected. I know my iguana was a shitload of work to maintain. Fresh vegetables everyday, have to clean the cage all the damn time. A snake like a python will require you feed it live mice every week.

Turtles are easy but not a lot to do with them, lol.

7. I feel so bad that I laughed so hard at that.. :smoke:

8. #9 Diceman, Aug 25, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 25, 2009
    Ferrets are cool but they shit alot.

Clean the cage pretty much every day or deal with a horrible stink. They also require attention.

You can't forget about it for days or anything. Gonna need baths, frequent feeding, play time especially if it's just 1 ferret (they are social animals usually living with a partner)

I've had one and as enjoyable as it was..it was a fuck ton of work. More then a dog I'd say.

My snake however...eats weekly. if I go out of town it's no big deal..she can go months without food without getting sick in any way.

She shits every couple weeks...and that all I gotta do is pick it up and throw in trash. I clean her tank completely 1-2 times a month. Whatever I feel like.

I can go weeks without holding her and she doesn't care..shes a snake so shes a solitairy animal. Most don't mind attention but they sure don't require it like a dog or ferret.

Ultimate pet in my opinion.

And yes ferrets get into EVERYTHING. Mine would steal candy from the bowl on the table and hide it behind the couch. Never ate it...just built a huge pile of it up. It also loved coca-cola. Would drink it out of a baby bottle

9. ferrets can be mean little bastards my sister has had a few and i can tell you they love nothing more then to sneak into your bed at 2 am and bite your toes like there full of ferret treats:eek:

10. Ferrets smell like shit. Get a crayfish, I have one named Larry the Lobster (bought and named while stoned), and he is fucking beast.

11. Hahahaha AWESOME

12. That's pretty cool actually. I wouldn't want a regular fish tank with little 2" basic shaped fish swimming around.

A lobster would make it worth lookin at though...that or some eels. I hate dealing with water though. All the cool animals require you to do stuff to the water like add nutrients or control the salt levels. Too much work

13. #14 Diceman, Aug 25, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 25, 2009

Uh...snakes eat LESS then mammals. So you buy 2-3 mice every few weeks...stick the rest in the freezer. Mammals eat daily...

What experience do you have? Don't guess..your giving out bad info.

Some snakes are picky, but alot of common ones as pets like the ball python or corn snake aren't picky at all. Your house pretty much has the right temps all you gotta do really is stick a heatpad under the tank. Theres so little work involved it's funny.

14. Bearded dragons are cool yes..but you shouldn't try to get your animals high.

Aside from it being abuse..it's against the forum rules. May wanna edit your post.

15. Hey bro, I keep quite a few reptiles. Boa's (we have 11 babies and 3 adults), bearded dragons (1 adult<the other one died because out current adult bit her nose and she refused to eat>, 3 juviniles, and my new 2 week or so old baby named Dopey :p), Green Tree Pythons (we have 4 total), Argentine Black and White Tegus (2 babies), ect.

If you need any help choosing or caring for any of these animals, or others that I have kept (Rattle snakes, Racer snakes, Gopher Snakes, King Snakes, Iguana's, Uromastyx, ect) then feel free to PM me and I'll help you out the best I can :)

Here's a few pics

here's the baby boa's
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here's my Green Tree Python
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

heres one of my uncles green tree pythons
    [​IMG]

Here's my Tegus
    [​IMG]

Here's the Bearded Dragons
    (starting with my lil Dopey first, then the juviniles, then the adult)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Anyways, I know quite a bit on the caring of these animals, as well as plenty of books to recomend. So, by all means, if you would like some help, or need some help, shoot a PM my way and I'll see what I can do.

Peace and Love everyone :)