for bible readers

Discussion in 'Religion, Beliefs and Spirituality' started by yurigadaisukida, May 3, 2011.

1. i have some questions about the bible im hoping some people can shed some light on for me

reason being im writing a paper

how old is the earth according to the bible? please cite the bible, i have a catholic bible and can look it up i dont want a link to any websights i just want to know where to look in the bible

also i need information supporting intelligent design (only directly from the bible not from people talking about it or trying to prove it with science)

everything relating to creation other than the first few chapters of genesis which i have already read

please site both the old testiment and new testiment as well as the koran? sorry if i spelled that wrong, and any other religious books youve read

i know we have a bunch of different religions in this community so any help would be apprecieted

2. pretty sure they think the earth is like... 6,000 years old or something.

3. I'll give you some answers..AFTER is bust your balls. Do your own fucking homework.
    The bible says nothing about the age of the earth, a guy named Bishop Usher...you know what, do your own homework.

4. According to the catholic bible, the world is quite old. So old that it goes all the way to the beginning. Though theologans have some disagreement on when that exactly was. According to the protestant bible however, at least a day passed between the beginning and the earth popping into existance as if by magic. It may not seem significant, but is a major point of difference between the catholic and protestant bible.

Intelligent design isn't mentioned in genesis as you should know since you've read it. ID is so recent a notion, that tries tooth and nail to distance themselves from actual religions, that it would be very surprising to find any mention of it in any religious text outside of what the Scientologists may enlighten us with.

But you might find that genesis amongst others tell of how all came to be by a whisper so to speak. And a chapter later contradicts itself in a very different rendering of the story. But you know, details easily overlooked if one believe in the one or other story. Or both by some schizophrenic freakish case of chronic indecision.

Other religious texts may differ very significantly from the confused tale of the catholic and protestant bibles. But what it all boils down to, is that in the beginning was the noodle. Something all religions share in their core.

Oh, is no problem. Hope your report get a good grade :)

5. There is a decent amount of debate on the age of the earth, when it comes to the old testament I would stick with the Jewish Publication Society version or the NASB since these will be the closest to the Masoretic texts (which was the earliest set in stone version of the Tanakh). For the debate it comes down to the hebrew, back in the day they didn't have vowel markers so most of the words translated or read from hebrew are an educated guess now a days. At the same time the bible doesn't make any direct claim to the age of the earth what needs to be done is trace the lineage of people back and add up the ages claimed in the bible to come to the age of the earth. The traditional jewish calender starts on 3760 BC so according to them we are in the 5771st year of the earths existence.

6. There are no citations in the Bible concerning age of the earth. Religious scholars have gone through the bible's genealogies to surmise an age for the earth

7. yep and based off of that they've constructed their own science and their own history.
    leaving out parts and grossly over exaggerating others regardless of validity.

8. #8 yurigadaisukida, May 4, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2011

its not homework you #$%#$ and what the #$%#$ is with all the flaming its an honest valid question

im quite convinced that the bible does in fact NOT give ANY evidence, which is why i posted this, so someone can show me it

so to all those who actualy contributed, thanks a ton i appreciate it

and to the rest i feel a lame cliche is in order

"if you dont have anyhting nice to say..."

9. I wish I could remember exactly where in the Rig Veda, but it says that when the Earth first formed it was gelatinous and "bald", and then the spirit of the Earth said a sacred mantra, and the earth solidified and grew "hair" (aka vegetation). The Rig-Veda has been around since 4500BC via oral teachings, though not written down until around 1500BC, but yeah, sounds exactly like what the big bang theory says ay? It's because there indeed is a God, and the God-realized men knew things science won't discover for hundreds of years. Also the Universe itself is substantially older than 14 billion years according to the Sages, but I do not know exactly when the Earth formed after creation.

10. #10 AresKenux, May 4, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2011
    The bible doesnt say how old the earth is...

Genesis 1
    1In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.
    2And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters.

The space between the first and second verse is unknown.
    Sorry for quoting genesis...

As for intelligent design?
    Well...
    Genesis 1
    1In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.

Haha, J/p... I'll look into it...

Edit:
    just remembered this:
    John 1:1-5
    1In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

2The same was in the beginning with God.

3All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made.

4In him was life; and the life was the light of men.

5And the light shineth in darkness; and the darkness comprehended it not.

11. Should the Bible give evidence of intelligent design and the specific answer to how old the earth is?

12. first off the bible has been rewritten so many times who the fuck knows !! hahhaha! now its funny you say this cause my grandma who is 70 ,,at easter dinner brought up jesus,, I know your probably thinking sum holy words...nope. Theres a span where jesus is living somewhere {yeah im a heathen } when born , jerusalem or salems lot ,anyways he lives there then moves to abbaotbad or some surrounding burbs area ,and hes 12 . then the story goes on and on about some apostle or pilgrim friend of his moves away and returns like 15 years later and he still 12 ? wtf kinda story teller wrote the bible ??? hes 12 forever and then all of sudden hes 33 and getting all these empire haters on his case ?

13. im working from memory, but i'm sure that two of the gospels have a genealogy for Jesus, and we generally accept that Jesus was born around 2011 years ago. one was more detailed than the other. the old testament has a genealogy as well. the "begets," i want to say that's in leviticus but i'm not totally sure but i'm thinking that it's in the first five books for sure.

i recall these genealogies having ages in them, so you could be able to get back to david from the NT ones, and from the OT (again, i'm thinking leviticus here) you should be able to get back to adam or pretty close. some of those lifespans are going to seem really unlikely, though. if you get to adam, you can go six days sooner (if you're taking it literally) and there you go.

14. you said it was for a paper