Food trucks

Discussion in 'General' started by Purp Skurp, Jul 29, 2012.

1. I think its because a lot of our cities have laws that prohibit food truck activity. Not exactly banning food trucks but just with parking laws and restrictions on what you can/can't do.

There are a few Food Trailers in Pittsburgh over by Oakland(where the universities are) but they don't move. I see people buying from them but there are so many restaurants close by that a far better that if I'm going to get Indian/Thai/Chinese I'll just stop by them.

2. One of my dreams is to have a food truck. I'm an awesome cook.

It would be fusion cuisine, but I won't say what kinda fusion cuz I don't want somebody stealing my idea :p

3. We only have one in my small town.. but they sell burgers, bacon wrapped hotdogs, all kinds of loaded bacon wrapped dogs, fries.. basically everything there is what makes Americans the way most are.

I haven't eaten there yet, but I can't say the food doesn't sound absolutely delicious. I could go for a bacon wrapped dog with cheese and sauteed onions or sauerkraut.. mmm..

4. Bacon wrapped hot dogs are amazing

5. #25 DDV, Jul 30, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2012
    [quote name='"Purp Skurp"']

Bacon wrapped hot dogs are amazing[/quote]

There used to be this old immigrant lady with a cart that sold them in front of my local sears.. man they were amazing! With sauteed onions and grilled jalapenos

6. You have to go to voodoo doughnuts

7. Back in the day they were called roach coaches for good reason, unclean environments & horrible food.

I moved to Oakland
    Ca. A year & a half ago & out of desperation grabbed a couple of taco's at a local food truck & was stunned at the quality of the food. The trucks out here are better than the resturants I kid you not. Not all of the trucks but on some the food is excellent, home made sausage, pickled jalapeno's.

Every year they have a food truck championship at the Oakland Colosium
    . I used to think it was a joke, next year I'm going to check it out.

Live long enough & you see aspects of life do a 180 Degree turn.

I no longer call them roach coaches
    :hello:
    Cheers

8. I bet the cold winters on the east coast are also to Blame for our lack of food trucks.. Why be open 3 seasons when you could be open 4!

9. Dude I'm originally from DC and the food trucks there are open year round :D

10. Resturant business, even one on wheels is one of the toughest businesses' around to make money in. You not only have to be a really good cook, you have to be good at everything else and you have to have what the other guy doesn't.
    My family has always been after me to open a resturant & I've always said no. It would take the fun out of cooking.
    My style has always been home style/comfort food. Mac&cheese, pizza, stuffed pasta, etc. Brine my own meats, make my own sausages, salami, bologna & brine my birds.
    All on the Big Green Egg, BBQ grill/smoker. Most of the prep is done on the stove.
    It used to be great when the 6 daughters were home & I'd cook 3 or 4 times a week, but now their grown with families of their own & the wife doesn't do BBQ so I only cook for myself, not the same thing or as satisfying.
    Oh well, in the next life.
    Good luck with the truck:D
    Cheers

11. Nope my mother has always told me that their so dirty and unclean with horrible food. Although after reading this thread my mind has been changed and im going to begin my quest for a taco/cheeseburger truck

12. Yeah we are for sure I wanna get the maple bacon donut

13. You might get some great Cuban food down your way.
    Cheers:D