Food really is addictive: Study finds brain activity similar to heroin users after eating certain processed foods

Discussion in 'Science and Nature' started by Hello there!, Jun 29, 2013.

I thought this was already known, but maybe I just listened to hearsay.

2. Food period causes an "addictive" reaction.  It naturally causes a reaction in dopamine receptors, which is what causes addiction in the first place.  The reward circuit is built to reward activity which is vital to survival.  Addictive drugs use the same mechanism. /drunk

Yes but there's a difference between eating for sustenance, and eating for pleasure.

4. yeah I'm trying to get down to 200lbs and I realised how fooled we are by food, mcdonalds, bk, chips all of it literally taste like junk when you start eating healthy. If you dont think commercials and other forms of consumer peer pressure doesn't fool millions of americans you are wrong as hell.

only think I can really eat that's fast food is wendys and popeyes, but other than that when I pass by mcdonalds and I see people going inside they all look stupid to me.

5. yes, and however people want to take this, at the end of the day food is just food... so why eat unhealthy and not give your body the nutrition it ends while using that to lose weight I dont get it and you have more energy to get things done.

People don't care, they think they can do it while eating foods that are super sugary because it gives them energy. :rolleyes:

They forget the damage it does.

7. I want to eat a doughnut that's been deep-fried in pure trans fat. mmmmmmmmm

I'm so glad I've never liked doughnuts.. not even as a kid. :D

9. #9 FatGrow, Jun 30, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 30, 2013
    isn't sugar bad for you?

well I know it's bad for you, but why exactly

Yeah

11. There is actually a lot of research on addiction.

Its tue same geberal trend from sex to gambling to video games to drugs...

Thays why the drug war fails. You cant really end "drug" use

Sent from my LG-E739 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

12. hell yea all the crap we consume today is addictive, you think they would spend so much on trying to get us to eat it if they didnt know that..... you dont see much commercials telling you to grow and consume your own natural food do you. and then we wonder why we're all plagued with disease and sickness.

13. this is why i dont eat shit

14. The sugar high. The sensitivity to sugar has long been linked to alcoholism.

There's an addiction for everything out there that makes you feel good....even ones that make you feel bad. They all do that eventually.