Food for thought: Hemp can be grown outdoors for CBD oil (Colorado)

Discussion in 'Marijuana News' started by 00Hassel, Jun 8, 2015.

1. Has anyone else noticed this?

A while back I wondered how this would play out and the time has come.

Hemp-CBD companies sprang out of the woodworks over recent times. The downfall is that most are sourcing CBD as a byproduct from China's industrial hemp operations.

CO hemp farmers (see: Ryan Loflin and attached image) are now growing crop for CBD use. IIRC the Stanley bros (Charlotte's Webb) also began dabbling with this a while back.

Why so noteworthy?

Well... indoor grows are the bane of cannabis. The electric bills of grow houses in places like Denver are astronomical. It is nonsense to force cannabis to be grown indoors. Yet its psychoactive effects, I am led to believe, make it "too dangerous" to grow outdoors.

In other news, the FDA has begun cracking down on health claims re: CBD. To specify, many companies (Cannaway and all its clones) have been marketing hemp CBD as a dietary supplement. In return, the FDA began sending out warning letters to manufacturers/marketers of said claims, informing them of the dietary supplement vs drug regulations.

The medical/biotech/pharma interests are honing in on CBD extracts as the next form of highly profitable, patented drug products. Notice the prolific endorsement for CBD by various science/health organizations and publications?

For context I am a proponent of whole plant extracts and insist that a CBD extract is just 1/421 the effectiveness of whole plant cannabis.

Nonetheless, CBD is in, in a big way. Some have legit use for it.

What's the point of all this...?

Business-minded folk, who live in places like Colorado, may be very well interested to know this. The demand for CBD continues to rise and for better or worse, this is fueled by the endorsement of Big Medicine. They still want you to be afraid of THC and anything not "pharma-grade" (LOL!!)

The market demand for hemp byproducts are huge. Clothes, food, construction, engineering, energy, etc. Add CBD oil into the mix? Hemp farmers will be hard pressed to keep up with the demand for supply.

Currently over $600 million USD/year of hemp product is imported from overseas. Any Americans want a piece of that?

As an aside... has anyone really nailed down how much CBD one can actually press from hemp? My understanding is that it is a minimal amount, when compared to overall cannabinoid content by weight of flowering cannabis.

It seems that whatever the amount is, it is viable enough to justify hemp-CBD production in the US.

Attached Files: