Food dehydrator

Discussion in 'Harvesting and Processing Marijuana' started by ButterDiesel, Oct 13, 2018.

1. Can you use a food dehydrator to dry buds? My father in law gave us his and I've used it to dry ghost peppers and it worked great. Could I use it for bud if I just kept an eye on the process?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

2. You would lose most of your terpenes- the compounds that give cannabis its flavor and smell. At best, it will leave your cannabis rather "blah" tasting.

Also, since you used the dehydrator for ghost peppers, I would clean it VERY carefully before using it! You do NOT want to smoke capsaicin- flavored cannabis! :eek2:

Granny

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Lol it was cleaned thoroughly once the peppers were done. I've never gotten a "taste" when smoking or vaping, so it probably wouldn't bother me. But I see your point, all the trichomes would probably get blasted.

4. Slow drying before Cure is key to good smelling and smooth smoking Cannabis.
    To Fast and to Deep a dry will give you mowed lawn clippings, Hay smell and it'll smoke like liquid fire.
    Unless you live on the equator with 100% humidity I'd never use one on my hard work. Even there AC is a better choice as it's dry air but low temps.

BNW

5. It works fine if you're in a rush, I have done it a few times. If you have a week to dry then do it the normal way but if you're completely out of bud and needs some within the hour, putting a few grams in and drying it quickly is fine

6. Well this is my first grow, and other than the first month, it's been issue after issue lol. I ended up using the dehydrator and of course left it in too long so they're kinda crispy. Put em in jars and I'll check it tomorrow and of course I'll have ANOTHER problem to deal with. But I knew my first grow would be a learning experience so I'm happy I was able just to get to harvest. Thanks for the input guys!

• Like Like x 1
  7. If i leave mine drying too long and it becomes crispy, I jar it up with a few fresh leaves to re-hydrate it

8. I just ordered some Boveda packs. After checking it today the big buds seem to be crispy outside with the center feels a little spongy. The tiny buds are straight crispy lol. I'm pretty laid back when it comes to gardening so I'm not worried about it too much. I was going to add some fresh cut leaves to the jars, but I had humidity issues when I harvested and didn't want to chance any mold.