Food budget, any advice?

Discussion in 'General' started by the_tree, Jul 1, 2009.

1. Hey,
    Next year I'll be living in an apartment and it's the first time I'm financially supporting myself (for the most part...I'm 19). I'll be paying for everything except my phone bill. I'm not going to be making too much money, and I'm trying to figure out how I'm going to budget everything- weed, food, entertainment.

So since I've never had to buy all my own food, I'm wondering if anyone can give me a good estimate on how much I would have to spend per week for all things food. My goal here is to be as cheap, but as healthy and filling as possible...but I guess mostly cheap.

Thanks.

2. Dont buy a lot of crap. Buy things that will fill you up and are healthy. Skip chips and buy fruits. I spend like $60 per week and I eat good. You will probably find it difficult to pay all your bills, gas and food and still have money left over for weed. You gotta learn how to ration

3. You'll probably have to go without weed quite often.

4. Well I don't have a car so I don't have to worry about insurance or gas, I work at home on the computer. I'm thinking $50 a week on food might do me okay then, that's $200 a month. Rent and everything else will probably total around $300 a month. I will definitely have to ration my weed, if I try I can make a gram last a week.

5. [​IMG]

Chicken, Beef, Pork, Oriental, Shrimp, Teriyaki, Roast Beef, Chili, Picante Chicken...and plenty more. =]

6. go with the store brand shit. me & my girl last friday bought groceries for 8 days for 47 bucks. And that's for me, her, AND our 1 yr. old.

It was 76 before our Fry's VIP card, then i also had a 10% off coupon.

maccaroni & cheese, chicken breasts, chicken/beef patties, ramen, Totino's pizza's, etc. Just don't go all out & get a bunch of crap :D

EDIT: a loaf of bread & 2 packs of lunch meat go a long way too

7. Haha, actually I have supported myself on food before, for a period of about 3 weeks. All I ate was Ramen and peanut butter/jelly sandwiches. Not a good mix.

8. I usually buy a 1/8 and make it last a week, but 300 a month for rent is cheap. Mines like $750 for everything

9. Stay away from junk food. It is the biggest waste of money. Go healthy.

Don't buy things you don't need (ky jelly, horny studs magazine weekly, etc..)

Watch your cash for the first couple of months and you will know roughly how much extra you can spend each month.

Save up and invest in a grow room. Sit back and chill.

10. Alot of churches hold food drives or sell food very cheap.

Check this website out. You place an order and pick it up at a participating church near your house. I buy all my steak through here now, it's cheap and really good quality cuts.

Welcome - Angel Food Ministries?

11. -Coupons can make a HUGE difference in your grocery costs. Check out the Sunday paper, look online, and look for the ads by the door when you walk in.
    -Somebody else said it already but BUY GENERIC! Seriously, it's the exact same shit 95% of the time. You're (usually) only paying for the name and the fancy label if you buy well-known brands.
    -Learn to bake/cook. Bread is really easy to make (simple French bread can be made with only four ingredients: flour, water, yeast, and salt), and relatively cheap. Plus, homemade bread makes your house smell awesome. Cooking skills give you the ability to make some good food out of very little. They're just good life skills to have.

Good luck man, and congrats on getting your own place! :hello:

12. It's divided up between 3 people total.

13. This is what my roommates and I were thinking. We have this extra bedroom that would be perfect for a grow/smoking room.
    [​IMG]

Thanks! I've actually made French bread before at my house and it does smell great. Once I start cutting slices I can't stop eating though lol.

14. Yeah, there's always that risk ;)
    That floor plan looks cool too. It's nice all the bedrooms are the same size. No fighting over the biggest one.
    Also, I forgot to mention pasta is super cheap and can make a great meal. Boil some noodles, drain 'em, throw in some butter and parmesan (a little garlic too, if you're into that), and you're set. Jarred sauce is cool and all, but it can get a little pricey.
    If I think of anything else I'll happily revive the thread so I can tell you about it :p

15. oatmeal is mad cheap, i ate it for like 2 weeks straight once

16. Oh yeah, just another general money-saving tip--get a big jar or old wide-mouthed bottle or something. Throw all your change (and if you're so inclined, your $1 bills) in it at the end of the day.

Don't touch that shit till it's filled up, if you can help it. The bills will get buried in the change and you'll hopefully forget about them.

Then when you're broke and wanting to buy a bag, or some better than usual munchies, or pay your electric bill, you can take the container to the bank and get your change counted. Sometimes they charge a small fee; if you're a member of the bank it's usually free.

Whenever I leave mine alone for at least two months I can normally get about $30-$50 out of it :)