Food allergies suck

Discussion in 'General' started by nanners, Oct 9, 2011.

1. Anyone else on the forum suffer from food sensitivities/ allergies?

I have a disorder, that resulted in becoming allergic to corn, milk, gluten and soy and it fucking sucks... I developed my allergies when I was 11 (now 20). If I eat even a small amount of something I can't have, I get very sick (nauseous, stomach cramps, dizziness, headache and anxious). My immune system is also shot and I get sick all the time.

It has effected my life greatly. I've lost friends over it, had problems attending school, and doing the things that I enjoy most in life. Thank god for online classes, saved my ass. Had to take abuse from people who thought I was faking it or thought I was anorexia for not eating their poisonous food.

Over the years I have tried tons of prescription meds to help alleviate my chronic symptoms. None of them ever really did the job and most of them made me feel even worse (accept probiotics but those are natural). Until I smoke for the first time and felt instant relieve... My objective was not to feel high, it was to relieve my symptoms. For me cannabis is only drug that has helped subdue my symptoms and live a happier, healthier, more productive life.... And I'm pissed that its illegal makes me look like some kind of a criminal.

So why is this shit still illegal government?

2. Peanuts and nuts

3. Me too. We're talking about gluten and allergies in the ADD/ADHD thread in Science now, could you drop by and tell us about your experiences with gluten, in particular the mental problems it creates?

MelT

4. Sounds interesting. I don't have ADD/ADHD, but I do have anxiety. Which I know was caused from my allergies.

5. I have Celiac, but didn't know it until I was 17. We were poor growing up and couldn't afford doctor's visits often because my older brother was epileptic, and his meds cost so much.

Consequently, I also have severe ADHD, and have been medicated for it since I was about 10.

6. My little brother has Celiac disease. And avoids gluten and soy, he also has some behavior problems. (Bad genes in my family.)
    All the doctor visit were horrible, most would overlook my symptoms and hand me anti- depressions or antibiotics. Or they would do painful invasive tests. None of them really helped until I turned to alternative medicine.

Best wishes, man.

7. Thank you man. You too.

Even cutting the gluten out, are you still consuming carbohydrates? I found that my symptoms got 100% better after I cut out ALL carbs, not just the ones with gluten.

Now I will indulge about once a month with carbs (and I always end up paying for it the next couple of days) but other than that I run off of a ketogenic diet

8. I don't avoid carbs, but I do avoid refined sugars and processed foods. I'm actually trying to keep a high protein diet, which was recommend by a nutritionist. I eat what ever I can eat without feeling sick and take a lot of supplements, vitamins and probiotics, my body loves probiotics. My diet mainly consists of rice products, coconut products, potatoes, fruits, vegetables, beef, and sea food.

9. how does one lose friends over allergies?
    they must not have been very close friends then? :confused:

sorry for the off topic question

10. The effects of gluten sensitivity are often manifested psychologically: intense depression or rage, lack of motivation (because the dopiminergic system does not work properly in a person with gluten sensitivity) and even anxiety or hyperactivity.

Couple this with the stomach effects, and it's a perfect storm for seemingly ignoring your friends and social life, when that's actually not the case at all. Most people just don't get it.

11. #11 Solipsist NPC, Dec 29, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 29, 2011
    The ONLY food on Earth that doesn't contain carbs is animal flesh/organs/body-parts.

Go ahead, you name it, every fruit, vegetable, herb, seed and plant product on Earth contains carbs. Even milk and eggs contain small amounts.

And Im pretty sure you're not just living off meat. Which of course would lead to death and other serious medical issues pretty quickly.

(By the way, im not trying to be a dick. But explain to me why you think a inattentive personality and whatever other common and natural human behaviors/emotions you have are a neurological disease. I mean, you obviously have enough of a attention span to pay attention to things you enjoy, like posting on internet forums. Maybe you just have a inattentive personality when it comes to things you don't enjoy?

To me that sounds like a pretty piss poor excuse for a neurological disease that you take drugs for. Have you ever considered that your supposed neurological disease is nothing more then personality traits, and natural human behaviors/emotions that you have been indoctrinated into believing is a disease?)

Just food for thought.

12. ah gotcha makes sense
    that sounds terrible :(

13. [quote name='Solipsist NPC']The ONLY food on Earth that doesn't contain carbs is animal flesh/organs/body-parts.

And Im pretty sure you're not just living off meat. Which of course would lead to death and other serious medical issues pretty quickly.

• Like Like x 1

14. Yeah, its exactly what nathann said, minus the rage and hyperactivity for me.

15. Hes just avoiding high carb foods. What you eat and put into your body can greatly affect your health. Its hard for some people to understand, unless they experience having a chronic illness.

16. I totally believe you, but if you can provide me with a good source for that I would be so thankful.

I didn't realize it for a long time, but gluten really messed up my life. I finally stopped eating gluten when my problems culminated in constant stomach upset and a seemingly endless depression. It's astounding how much different I feel when I don't have gluten in my system.

17. It's sad really. I used to work with a women who got gastric bypass surgery and of course was told not too eat certain things (pasta, bread, soda) because your stomach cant handle any expansion. Well guess what she brought for lunch every day? Yep a litre of mt. dew and maybe a sandwich or some of that nasty already cooked but not frozen pasta stuff and prolly a lil debbie or somethin. Then she'd be wondering why she's puking throughout the day everyday.

18. We live in what our gov. calls "the best country ever" yet people eat boxes of twinkies for lunch and then wonder why they look like shit. Only in the US of A

19. Yes, every food on earth does contain carbs. However, there is a huge difference between how simple or complex carbs affect both your neurological and neuromuscular systems, versus how carbs from fiber affect them.

You are more than welcome to look up the merits of a ketogenic diet, especially for those with epilepsy, to see just how non-fibrous carbs affect the body. I'm not going to explain it to you, because, to be as nice as I possibly can be, it seems like you know nothing of neuroscience.

The problems endemic to a person with low dopamine are well attested to in medical literature. Again, you can look it up yourself. I don't have time to sit here and try to convince you that ADHD is a real disorder. I've argued with people like you before, and it ends up just going around in circles. I don't buy into the "normal human behavior" tripe that the anti-psychology crowd drums up. Go do the requisite research concerning the neuroscience of attention disorders. I've done it. Is ADHD overdiagnosed? Absolutely! But it is a real disorder with real consequences for those who suffer from it. The human brain is not meant to have a dopamine imbalance. It is not the normal state of things for a human.

And no, it's not just inattentiveness concerning things I'm not interested in. It's a wholesale lack of motivation and focus, which again, the medical literature is clear stems from low dopamine.

20. [quote name='"nanners"']Anyone else on the forum suffer from food sensitivities/ allergies?

I have a disorder, that resulted in becoming allergic to corn, milk, gluten and soy and it fucking sucks... I developed my allergies when I was 11 (now 20). If I eat even a small amount of something I can't have, I get very sick (nauseous, stomach cramps, dizziness, headache and anxious). My immune system is also shot and I get sick all the time.

It has effected my life greatly. I've lost friends over it, had problems attending school, and doing the things that I enjoy most in life. Thank god for online classes, saved my ass. Had to take abuse from people who thought I was faking it or thought I was anorexia for not eating their poisonous food.

Over the years I have tried tons of prescription meds to help alleviate my chronic symptoms. None of them ever really did the job and most of them made me feel even worse (accept probiotics but those are natural). Until I smoke for the first time and felt instant relieve... My objective was not to feel high, it was to relieve my symptoms. For me cannabis is only drug that has helped subdue my symptoms and live a happier, healthier, more productive life.... And I'm pissed that its illegal makes me look like some kind of a criminal.

So why is this shit still illegal government?[/quote]

So what exactly are your symptoms? Because I don't know how smoking weed will help the fact your allergic to foods.