flys

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by wake-in-baker, Sep 23, 2010.

1. are flys harmfull to plants... if so why?

2. There are thousands of species of "Flies".

Which one ???

Freak
    :smoke:

3. like a house fly

4. hope this helps found it online....

Different flies dine on different foods. Flies around the world eat nectar, plant sap, blood, other insects, and decaying matter. Did you know that a mosquito is actually a type of fly? Of the species of flies that eat blood, only the females are the blood eaters. They need the nutrients in blood to be able to lay eggs. The males of these species usually dine on nectar from plants and flowers. The species of flies that we call houseflies like to eat OUR food!

Flies cannot chew. They have to suck up their food. Flies have mouth parts that absorb food like a sponge. Their food has to be in a liquid form in order for them to eat it. They have a tongue shaped like a drinking straw to slurp up their meals. Flies that eat nectar or blood do so by using their tongue which is called a proboscis. Even flies that eat other insects do so by sucking out the insides of their victims. When a housefly lands on our food, it vomits on the food. The digestive juices, enzymes, and saliva in the vomit begin to break down and dissolve the food. The fly can then suck up the liquid food with its sponge-like mouth parts and its proboscis. If flies eat food from garbage cans or any other source of germy food, some of those germs stick to the fly's mouthparts and when the fly vomits on its next snack (your sandwich?), it transfers some of those germs.

5. o yea so no i dont think they are harmful, the reason i looked this up cuz i was lookin threw the pics i took yesterday and there was a fly in one of my pics