Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Flying With Medical Marijuana?

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by Nugrun, May 3, 2014.

1. #1 Nugrun, May 3, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 3, 2014
    Hey grass city long time lurker here. It seems that you are allowed to travel domestically with medical marijuana if you have a California doctors recommendation and you are flying out of out of either Oakland or San Francisco airport. I am flying out of Oakland to Atlanta and will be there for a couple of months. I am considering taking shatter with me and putting it in my carry on along with my doctors rec in case it is needed. What is the limit on how much marijuana concentrate I can take? I have done some research and it seems you can board flights from oak and sf with up to 8 oz of bud but I see nothing about the concentrate limit. Thanks in advance.

2. I'm sure there is fine print stating that only in the confines of California are you able to do that

3. The TSA is a federal agency and thus bound by federal law.  However, there does appear to be an element of discretion involved--probably since weed isn't usually a threat to national security.  Still sounds a bit risky to me, particularly since you're flying from a MMJ state to a non-MMJ state with strict laws.  According to Georgia law:
    "Possessing any amount of hashish or concentrate is a felony, punishable by imprisonment of not less than one year nor more than 15 years."
    "Possession of 1 ounce or less of marijuana is a misdemeanor punishable by up to 12 months imprisonment and/or a fine up to $1,000. Possession of over an ounce is a felony punishable by a minimum of 1 and maximum of 10 years imprisonment."

If you absolutely have to risk it, don't bring concentrate or any quantity that would look like more than would be necessary for personal use.

4. There's a link in the stickied threads above about travelling with meds

5. If you do this you are going to go to prison.

6. this just seems like such a fantastically bad idea.

^^ yeah that.

homeland security doesn't recognize your prescription as being legal. Nor would the state of Georgia.
    so bad idea imo..

8. #9 Gemstoner, May 4, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2014
    It's relatively safe to put concentrates in capsules and then put the capsules in an OTC supplement bottle that you have with your toiletries. To assess the risk, think of the thousands of bags going through airport security. Depending on the circumstances, mailing the concentrate might also be a viable option. Of course I speak theoretically, for purposes of discussion only.

9. I guess it's just not worth the risk/anxiety. Thanks for replys

10. This. Or put weed in capsules and put them in an bottle that the pills look like ground up weed. Like green tea supplements? Tape the top and light it with your lighter so it looks heat sealed and new.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

11. Anyone have experience flying with some shatter in their carry on? It seems tsa does not worry about it (they have much more important things to worry about)

12. Is it worth the risk, given that the risk could be prison in Georgia?  I mean, we're not talking about risking just having some v v grumpy tsa agent or port police giving you a thorough talking-to.  We're talking about risking prison time in GA.

13. #14 Gemstoner, May 5, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2014

Recently, I flew out of SJC with edibles (EdiPure) in my carry-on. My flight had a Denver connection so I figured that I wouldn't be violating any state laws until leaving Denver for a non-legal state, but by then the candy would be gone. I intentionally left it in the manufacturer's package to see what would happen. TSA took my water, but left the Peach Banana Rings!

I've also taken oil in capsules in my carry-on. TSA either didn't notice or care.