Flying Helicopters?

Discussion in 'Planes, Trains & Automobiles' started by Dizzy, Dec 26, 2020.

1. Rotorway Scorpion 133 Helicopter Kit - Redback Aviation
    The RotorWay approach to helicopter design stresses a low initial cost of around $11 per pound compared with $50 per pound for the average turbine helicopter airframe Schramm has described the design of a helicopter as “essentially a series of vibrations, all of which are being made to function in harmony with one another.”

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. I worked in a Diesel shop in Helper Utah had a guy who owned a drilling Co flew in ,in a helicopter that looked like the ones in the tv show MASH .
    it had the plastic bubble looking cock pit .
    I had to fly out to a drill and fix it with the owner .
    I am walking out to the copter to get ready to go .
    The owner of the copter is wrapping Duct tape around one or two of the rotor blades.
    I looked at him funny like WTF are you doing ?
    He said did hear the copter land ? did you hear the Whap ,whap , whap ?
    I guess the rotor blade was out of balance and he used duct tape to balance out the rotors so they wouldn't make the whap. whap ,whap sound ..
    the fact that this copter was being held together with duct tape didn't make me feel real confident about flying in this helicopter.

• Winner Winner x 2
  3. One of my dreams is ti fly into mountain lakes with a helicopter with pontoons and go camping and fishing.
    Been looking at the used prices, Its over my pay current income.
    Thinking i might have no choice but go experimental helicopters like the scorpion or the mosquito.
    About 15k to 40 k without flight lessons. add another 16k

• Creative Creative x 1
  4. #44 Vee, Dec 5, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2022
    [​IMG]
    IMO look to a kit fox. ultra light aircraft with very little license needed you tow it behind ya car store in the garage

[​IMG]
    slip the pontoons on and on like shoes cheap too,.. tho the study is what puts many off

[​IMG]
    ease ya mind many come with a parachute system that lowers the plane if in trouble

cheers

I never new a helicopter pilot who never had a good back, its all them vibrations they say!

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  5. In the piston driven mosquito. helicopters video's you see allot vibration .
    they do make turbine model but they said it uses allot of fuel.
    Looking for two seater with range of 150 miles .

6. I found Kit fox kits for sale one
    was 75% complete as being built and the guy said had 75K invested so far .
    What is the cost to build kit fox plane .

7. [​IMG]
    $11k in need on an overhaul, at least its all their, https://barnfinds.com/hanger-find-kitfox-experimental-airplane/
    posts some neg stuff, but an understanding of the experimental class eases the pain

I know many guys who have bought planes, cars, even boats, in partial kit form,
    for various reasons guys don't complete, and have to let them go, a good strategy for a cheap buy IMO

pics here: Status Updates - AvidFoxFlyers Forums

What is the cost to build kit fox plane . ....so variable you really have to look around
    it was built to be cheap otherwize a Cessna 150 will suffice ...lol

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. I sky dived out allot of 172's and 180's, 80 degree day and the carburetor ices up. LOL.
    Glade I always hard a parachute on .
    My guess is navigation and communication are the big part of the finishing costs ?
    That plane would be perfect is closer. How hard to remove the wings ?
    I have implement trailer. fuel would 1200. to 1500.00$ round trip without eats and hotel .
    How important is the log book.?
    I have seen videos of that plane being used as a bush plane up in Alaska. they can land in like in ten yards. Really incredible.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. [​IMG]

I flew UH-72's for years... civilian model, not the military version.

• Winner Winner x 2
  10. Great way cool .. how far are you from PA? LOL
    How are you doing ?

11. I
    I live in SW Georgia now, in the middle of nowhere. I flew in the Marshall Islands (SW of Hawaii) working for the Missile Defense Agency/US Army. A glorified taxi service but it was the best job I ever had. Got to fly to some very unusual places...

12. hows ya back ...lol

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. I always thought they were pretty comfortable, a little narrow seat but still...

• Funny Funny x 1