Flying aphids on sugar leaves

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by Greengrower8, Dec 8, 2018.

1. You need like a pack of mantis, I don’t think they will get big enough fast though

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

2. Nope. Mantis, ladybugs, and lacewing are all poor BCAs for this crop.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Once my lights come on today, I’m gonna try and spray the trouble areas well with water. I have a pretty good pump hand sprayer that gets decent pressure.

What about adding h2o2 to this water or the tiniest amount of dish soap? Is there any reason to do this or should I strictly use pure water?

I’ve also heard of bugs hating wind before. Spider mites I’ve had in the past could have cared less if there was a big fan blowing in their faces. But air can be redirected very easily and is absolutely unobtrusive so that will be done as well as hopefully it will help.

I have used Green Cleaner (which is basically just soap and alcohol) in the past to try and deal with bugs, etc. and it totally roached my plants (lights off, blah blah blah). After that, I am super hesitant to spray any sort of oils, detergents, etc on my flowering plants. Which is ultimately the problem - once they start to flower there is nothing left to treat them with except BCAs. Hopefully these Dalotia start hunting these flying ones down. They were only applied 3 days ago. There were just not that many up in my leaves a week ago. I think I will be getting some other friends to accompany these Dalotia.

Thanks for all the replies!

4. The point of the water blast is to physically knock them off and damage them in doing so. Adding anything is pointless and like you said will damage the plant further. The plant has its own waxes and oils as defense.

Fans won’t do shit other than chop up the flying ones if they’re strong enough. If you want to fuel a spider mite infestation, use fans, which will essentially make the leaf surface drier, which they thrive on.

Flying aphids are sent by the colony to spread the colony, so they’re trying to lay eggs. The Dalotia will go for the heart of the infestation first which is the softer root aphids in the wet environment. These flying ones should be physically managed with the water blasts to disrupt their progress.

5. Ok got it. I will manage them with water as best as possible.
    Maybe the Aphidoletes will hunt down these flying bastards...

6. Id go with spinosad use it any time i see bugs and works on flowering plants just dont saturste the buds

7. idk anything about the behavior of predators other than the obvious. I would ask the appropriate representative prior to purchasing any vector.

8. Again, I’m extremely reluctant to spray my flowers with anything.

Done and done.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Will these flying aphids come off more easily once the buds have dried a bit? Maybe even fall off?? I have some getting stuck in some resin soaked areas. I have been picking them out, but it’s so sticky. I was thinking maybe they will brush off easier after the buds have dried some (after harvest). I’d rather not have to “wash” them.

10. Ohhh God! I am so sorry you are in this situation, friend! Can we by any chance get some pics to go with what you are describing, for research purposes!

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum