flushing without killing the plant?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Subnoize, Jun 20, 2010.

1. I was just wondering what the proper way to flush would be? My plants are still young, but they are all in 5 gallon buckets, someone told me it will take atleast 5 gallons of water to flush them, but wont that kill them?

2. if there are holes in the bottom of the bucket they'll be fine. to give a proper flush you double the size of the container. 5 ga. pot = 10 ga. water.

3. Why do you want to flush them again?

4. just preparing for the future, I had to end up melting holes at the bottom of the bucket because I dont have a drill or anything, I put about 5 holes in the bottom. so with the holes its impossible to over water?

5. i think what hes saying is why are you flushing them? Like what is the reason and whys it neccesary?

6. well are you watering or flushing?

You can definitely over water, and flushing before you are ready to pull will also give you an "over-watered" scenario, which will right itself as long as you give them sufficient time to dry.

When you flush, you run a MINIMUM of 3x the pot size through the soil.

in other words,...5 gallon buckets gets a minimum of 15 gallons run through it. I personally run more than 10x because I can put mine in the shower, let the pot fill and then turn down the water so the pot doesn't overflow but the water keeps coming in the top, out the bottom. I'll leave each plant in there for about an hour each. I let them dry for 5-7 days before harvesting.

I also use Clearex to help break down any salts and to replace the sugars.

7. I flush my plants every 4-6 weeks regardless of what stsage there in

8. Mine are under screens so once I decide to flush,....it's a week or so till harvest because I have to cut away the screen to get them out for flushing. They become one helluva mess without the support of the screen, but man,...nothing sexier in the shower than my g/f with my plants :D

9. I don't see the necessity behind flushing, unless you are doing it at the end of flowering like LBH stated earlier. Although, I would say a week is a little too short, I would give it a solid 1.5 weeks, with the last two days being 0(light)/24(dark) to force the plant to squeeze out any remaining nutrition in the form of resin, rather than trichome/THC production.

I don't understand why you would flush your plant out earlier? Unless you have it some highly concentrated food that runs the risk of severely burning the plant.

Also, if you want better aeration of the soil, try adding about ~30% perlite to your mix. It will help drainage as well.

10. a little off topic, but i thought the resin was the trichomes/thc.

11. Sorry, by "resin" I just meant the various other cannabinoids that can be excreted from the plant

12. #12 iampolluted, Jun 20, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 20, 2010
    gotcha....i thought leaving them in the dark was to increase trich's. and to stop it's nute/water uptake during the lighting cycle.