flushing with molasses or nectar

Discussion in 'Coco Coir' started by rapidcharger, Oct 16, 2012.

1. Question. Im going to try a week flush using clearex

Day 1 clearex flush
    Day 2 clearex flush
    Day 3 - 6 water

I heard good things about molasses using 2tsp a gal
    I heard its because of the sugars it produces. Flora nectar has the same thing. Starches and sugars.

What would be better to flush with?
    Molasses or a nectar like flora or diamond?

Thanks

2. Just water man. That's all you need.

Rinse and repeat.

3. I use molasses all the way through alongside my nutes. The sugars help the plant absorb all the feed and keeps your root mass healthy.
    But to your question, last 2 weeks just water to flush for a cleaner result.

4. I have read that the latest to use molasses for any benefit was around 1-2 weeks before harvest then flush with just water for several days indoor. I have done it that way for outdoor and indoor grows and have been satisfied.

5. I have used molasses before, highly recommend it to anyone pondering the thought.. make sure to completely dissolve all the syrup, I usually take a small amount of my filtered water, throw it in the microwave for 30-45 seconds with the molasses to help dissolve the syrup. The added sugars and carbohydrates really help fatten up your buds in the last few weeks of flowering.

In agreement with the others, u must flush with clean water the last week or so before harvest to ensure pure taste and smoke....

hope this helped at all

MM

6. So fuck the bullshit.

Im juat going to flush with water like i always do
    Thanks guys

7. Never noticed any significant difference in taste or, yield using molasses....
    Benefits more as a food source for populating microbes in organic growing

8. #8 akula, Oct 17, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 17, 2012

I dont have a PHD in botany but this about sums up legitimate information I have read on feeding plants sugars (molasses, nectar or whatever). The benefits come from feeding the microbes in the soil which then will release the macro-nutrients that the roots will assimilate. Now I have seen plenty of articles written by people with all kinds of extra letters behind their names (including PHD) that claim otherwise. However they usually end up being somehow employed by some company that would love for you to buy one of their fancy bottles of super sweet nectar molasses that can swell your plants into the gods of sticky buns buds.

If you believe you need a pre-harvest flush then I would say feeding the microbes and asking them to congregate and help to release nitrogen, potassium and phosphorus with their part in the breakdown cycle of each nutrient, would be counter productive. However I doubt two weeks would be enough time for this process to kick into full gear anyways, and you would only really see the a partial cycle and pretty immature at that. So maybe that would be the benefit as to not completely allowing a full starvation during your flush if you decide to add molasses.

9. Sorry if I'm hijacking the thread, but didn't want to start a new one. If final flushing with just water, is it counter productive to ph it?

10. I never ph my flushes

11. just use H2o

no need to ph

12. But using molasses feeds the microbes, the microbes then break down the nutrients so the plants can take up the sugars and carbs. That is all it does. It does not affect taste in my opinion.

Now that the plant can take in the sugars and carbs freely guess what happens. They get FATTER. It works that way thru all of nature,... a diet of high sugar and carbs will make anything fatter.

On my last grow at 4 weeks before harvest the colas were about 1.5 in diameter. Two days after the first feeding of molasses the calaxyes swelled and swelled with some of them protruding an inch to an inch and a half from the original bud. Pics of them are here post 644. I currently have a Dinafem WWA that just got it's first molasses treatment yesterday. Overnight the two top colas swelled from 1 1/2 inch diameter to over 2".

There might not be any scientific proof but I dont give a rats ass, IMHO molasses works, it works well and I never do a grow without it. Read the labels on all of the swanky hyped and high price sweet products. The labels on the sweet and candy products read almost exactly to a 'T' as the labels of blackstrap molasses. Time to :smoking: some.

13. I would be careful about statements like this one...

While the root system can uptake some simple sugars plants don't use sugars like animals do. Actually, "food" for plants is CO2 and Light, as over 80% of the final product is Carbon. This is what becomes the structure of the plant, in the way that sugar converted into fat is the structure of a soda drinker.

The last few days before harvest are a period of trichome ripening. While some plants may ripen while the flower sizes are still increasing most plants will dramatically slow their metabolic and growth rates near the end of the flowering cycle when the fruit ripens. While Molasses may be an effective additive to organic systems during the more productive period of growth, during the flush period water is all that is required. For the hydroponic coco grower the molasses would be mostly useless, especially for a flush.

14. #14 colafarmer, Oct 28, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 28, 2012

If you think it works then I would not stop using by all means....It's cheap and cannot harm your plants....;)
    In a chemical grow their are no microbes to feed. The nutrients are readily available to the roots.
    In an organic grow the nutrients need to be broken down first for the microbes to feed on.
    This is whats called the cooking period, when you blend the soil and let set for 3-4 weeks while the soil is breaking down nutrients for uptake.. Further composting would be a better word than cooking....

Ive used molasses in chemical grows and notice very little difference if any and in gram weight...Not enough to write home about anyways...
    A good chemical nutrient base has everything needed to grow healthy happy plants.
    The benefits of molasses in organics is when making an aact to build micobial activity....

There is a natural state in cannabis growing when the plant nears harvest(usually 2 weeks) the buds, cola's will swell with or, without molasses and further the ripening process...Just the way of nature....:)

15. My words and science might be like yours or anyone elses but I use one method to determine what does and does not work in my garden. The TWO EYE TEST, and my two eyes says the buds I have grown in the past outdoors and those that I have grown inside this year Do In Fact Get Bigger.

Peace

• Like Like x 1
  16. The buds in the previous post was approx 5 weeks before harvest. The swell was NOT the pre-harvest swell and a grow does not have to be an organic grow to see the benefit of molasses.

It seems everytime someone brings up using molasses that someone always replies that the method is not proven, blah blah and more blah. This type of discussion is very much like the 'checking the run off' method etc. For 10,000 growers there are at least 7500 ways to grow this weed.

I'll stick by my methods that work and be happy with it.
    Peace

• Like Like x 1
  17. LMAO, you can "flush" till kingdom come, with whatever you want, but it won't have one blasted effect on the plant.

18. Mollases feeds microbes, that's about it. It doesn't make your bud sweeter, bigger or whatever other placebo effect you may think ..... lmao weed scientists these days. :-/

19. #19 colafarmer, Oct 28, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 28, 2012
    For what it's worth...It's your flowering supplements and good environment giving those big fat nasty buds....:)But would not change one thing in the way you grow....
    Taken from wiki..Marijuana Cultivation/Flowering - Wikibooks, open books for an open world

Supplements:

There are a plethora of supplements on the market and no attempt will be made here to list them all at this time but there are a few general types that most flowering supplements fall into that can be addressed here.

Sugar supplements such as sweet, molasses, etc - This type of supplement does NOT feed the plant directly. Plants can not utilize already processed sugars like this. What this does do is nourish organisms living in the grow medium. If you are using an organic grow process or growing in soil this can be very beneficial but should be stopped during the flush period.

Hormone Supplements - Naturally the effects depend on the hormone but all in all these are beneficial but expensive. Plant growth hormone extracted from algea is helpful but provides far more benefit during the vegetative grow cycle than the flowering cycle. Plant flowering hormones are beneficial during flowering, largely for creating more flowering sites than without. Most hormone supplements tend to be very expensive which limits their practical utility. FT Protein (Florigen) extracts have been extracted by Florigen Labs efficiently enough to make them affordable to most growers.

Taste enhancers - There are products with citrus and other flavors that claim if you feed them to plants the plants will take on some aspect of their flavor. This is generally reported to be false.

Nutrient supplements - Some boosters are simply more flowering nutrient. How well they work depends on how ideal the mix you are using is already.

Calcium/Magnesium Supplements - These are very useful for balancing out your nutrient mix, this underrated nutrients are important for plant growth. The use of a supplement like this is highly recommended for all phases of growth.

• Like Like x 1