Flushing Question

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by TomGreenThumb, Jan 24, 2009.

1. #1 TomGreenThumb, Jan 24, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2009
    Hey all. I switched to 12/12 yesterday, and would like to start a flush tomorrow. I was just wondering if anyone thought it would be too stressful to the plant if I started 12/12 and a flush at the same time? I could wait a week or so to flush but I would rather not, as I like to keep my rez's somewhat fresh. I was also planning to use some Clearex with the flush. This will be my first flush. I have been mixing up a batch of nutrients and topping off my buckets through the veg phase, and cleaned them twice through it and started with full fresh rez's.
    Thoughts gladly welcome! :)

W.Widow, G13 Haze, and NorthernBerry in BubbleBuckets
    400w HPS
    GH Flora Series

2. From what I have experienced, along with hearing other's opinions, its not necessary to flush periodically throughout the grow unless you have a major problem. The only recommended flush is plain water about two weeks before harvest to flush out all the chemicals. I have friends who have run an entire grow without changing the rez, just adding water and adjusting nutes as necessary. I guess its your choice, and I'm not trying to talk you out of it. No, it shouldn't cause any stress to the plant as long as your nute and Ph levels are good prior to the flush.

3. Thanks man. I have also seen alot of people on here who say they dont change thier rez or flush until the end. On the other hand I hear that its good to flush the salts out when flipping to flowering cycle and before harvest.
    I'll give it a shot for a couple of days and see how it goes. I just went with pure water and no Clearex.

4. TBO....flushing does nothing to enhance the flavor or smoothness of the smoke. It is a myth.

I haven't flushed a plant in years, & the herb & smoke turn out just fine.

5. I think it does have to deal with flavoring and taste of smoke. Just because you have grown and planted before, that's your experience. It could be a placebo effect but it would be nice knowing you tried the best you could or atleast did something you thought would affect the way it smokes.

6. If you think about it, there are tens of thousands of agricultural farmers that grow everything we eat.

They certainly do not flush all the corn, wheat, potato' oranges,....everything. They even use very harsh, industrialized pesticides, & do no flushing of any kind.

I am speaking from experiences of flushing vs. no flushing, & I find no difference to speak of.

7. Start flushing 2 weeks before they are ready to pick if using soil, about a week if using a hydroponic medium. Flushing too early will hurt your yield.

I find a big difference personally.

8. I guess it's up to the grower personally. Flushing could quite possibly be more beneficial in some strains, while little to no effect in others.

9. this is stupid, everything ive read on here says u should flush atleast every fortnight... so why r use all saying otherwise

10. I find mixed opinions about flushing. Some of the most experienced growers on GC tell me it makes no difference and it's just a myth among growers. I feel this is probably true, rumors get spread pretty easily and eventually, people start believing it themselves. The placebo effect has much influence over your mind.

11. hey when u burn does it sparkle or crackle or keep burning. goes out very fast cant respark a roach
    then it got chemical in it. unless your organic or use very light mixes.
    peace and pass the dobbie:smoking:

12. 15 years or so maybe it was 20 who knows but a outdoor grow i did in a bog out of 5 gal buckets in a few plants because of the high water table . organic at 1st it was easy to water then i was out of town for a 6 month vac.ha ha then came back in oct. to gather my girls amd found 6nad 7 foot ground
    plants and my buckets had 15 17 foot monsters. go figure never touched them in 6 months and never had water other then mother nature. peace and plant the seed oi

13. #13 CannabisMaximus, Jan 25, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 25, 2009
    OK....I am now a bit confused.

Are we talking about flushing your plants at the end of a growth cycle, or flushing your res. before switching to flowering?

No....my herb burns smooth & evenly with no crackling. Although, I rarely roll joints as the strain I grow is renowned for its density, & you have to almost turn the MJ into a powder to smoke a decent J.

14. nice to here that . oi