Flushing Question

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by trogdor4564, Jul 25, 2008.

1. I have Sweet Leaf by Advanced Nutrients and i was wondering since it is 100% organic if i can use it during the flushing stage without anything bad tastes being left over. It is suppose to make the bud taste a smell better. The stuff i think is basically molasses but prolly also has some other organic stuff. Any help is greatly appreciated thanks

2. Im sure it would be fine. I have heard from reps at Advanced Nutrients that have said you can use the Carbo Load to flush and it will help the plant stay alive a little longer and pack on some more weight, I dont see why the Sweet Leaf would be any different, like you said, its basically just molasses.

3. I completely disagree. Nutrients, organic or not, need to be flushed with pure water before harvesting. Anything else is an improper grow because flushing is so important.

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. Flushing is important. That's why we see it done in nature.

Oh wait... it isn't.

Yes, you need to flush most stuff in order to clean the taste of your buds. However, not everything is going to pollute the flavors.

I think after a really good flush with Final Phase a little hit of Carboload and/or Sweet Leaf would benefit the crop.

Let me put it this way:
    If my plants were of a commercial grade, and tended to taste "flat", I would use the Carboload and Sweetleaf in the flush (and for at least several weeks prior to harvest) to give them some body, better colors, better taste, etc.

If my plants were going to be of connoisseur-coffee-table-grade, I would not want to alter any of the the naturally occurring wonders going on. The only thing I'd want to do is enhance them. In that case I would most certainly use Sensizym with all my waterings after flushing. Because it is simply a digestive enzyme, it helps release a final burst of chemical energy from organic materials in the medium or the rootzone (including old roots) without interfering with the flavor profiles. It's like nutrients without the nutrients.

Some folks are really hardcore about their flushes; they flush for more than two weeks, sometimes with nothing but pure water, sometimes a little honey or molasses, and there's nothing wrong with doing that. These harvests always taste great, but may not yield as well as others.

Personally I'm after a compromise between yield and taste. I wouldn't want to grow the best stuff in the world if I could only get an ounce per grow or something.

5. This was the answer i was looking for.
    I agree with eveyrthing.
    But you say "sometimes a little honey or molasses"
    I think sweet leaf is basically molasses/honey correct?
    I dont know ill try it a little bit. Imma flush for 2 weeks maybe the first week with sweet leaf and second week with just water

Thanks alot

6. I'm pretty sure that molasses, and maybe honey, are some of the ingredients Sweet Leaf (AN says as much) but to say that Sweet Leaf is basically molasses/honey is like saying that a great cake is "just sugar and flour".

What gets done to the ingredients, how they're processed, and what the proportions are all play a huge role in what you end up with. Whether you end up with bread, pancakes, biscuits or a cake is mostly determined by a few minor ingredients and the proportions they're mixed in.

The way I see it there isn't any reason for me to reinvent the wheel - I'll just buy a new one whenever I need it. I can build a crystal radio, too, but my car stereo wasn't built by me.

7. nicely put

8. sweet leaf isn't nutrients.

trogdor: i usually add like 1/2 str sweetleaf in my last few waterings and it works just fine man.

9. Yea if anyone gets HighTimes this is all in the new issue.

10. Flushing seems like such a wishy washy topic... those on both sides struggling to make clear that they're method yeilds the best bud.

I think this grow maybe I'll throw sweet to the test by using it during the flush of one clone and not on the other... should give me a good idea of whether it actually does anything or not.

11. LOL, it's not wishy washy. Everyone knows you've got to flush.

The only question is what you can use during the flush, and that's a matter of taste. If you've got a great strain and want a really "pure" taste then water's probably best for you. If you want a really full flavor, something like Sweet Leaf is probably better. But it's totally according to taste.

You have to flush. HOW you flush is up to you.

12. Here is whats in sweet leaf. Never tried this one will try it out Nice one Grasscity.

Attached Files:

13. Well i think sweet leaf is a safe product to flush with but i didnt want too much of a fake flavor so i stopped using it the last week of flushing. So i flushed one week with and one week without. Ill see how it turns out.
    Btw ill have to check out the HighTimes article. Is it in the Sep. issue?

14. That's a good idea, let us know how that goes.

I would think it would help the buds develop a stronger but more natural flavor.

I am liking this logic. I flush 3 weeks before harvest with pure distilled water. I have never tried adding molasses, honey, or sweet leaf but am interested in giving it a shot for my next grow.

Peace

16. yeah in the new Hightimes, they say to give it a small dose of sweet leaf at the beginning of the flush. Im gonna give it a try:p

17. Thanks.

Let me know how it goes for you.

18. I spoke with the tech guy from advanced nutrients about this and he explained a few things. Final Phase works by bonding to nutrients it comes in contact with. When it bonds to the nutrients, the plant can no longer absorb them. This haults the plants uptake in nutrients faster.

The tech guy recomended that you use phinal phase for the first day or two and then finish flushing with pure water, sensiyzme (to break down decaying matter), and sweetleaf (for flavor).

So absolutly you can use sweat leaf wile flushing.

I have also heard from a few growers who limit how much they flush. The claim that flushing to long tends to "flush" the smell out some.

19. Cool, that's good to know.

And I totally agree... you don't want to overflush. How much is too much depends on each person a little bit tho. I mean some people like the natural taste of their buds more than others and different strains naturally taste better or worse to different people.

If you really like the natural flavor of the strain you grow you're gonna want to flush just enough to get the fertilizer taste out. But if you're not all that crazy about the way that kind of weed tastes, you'd probably rather do a bit more flush and add in some Sweet Leaf.

To me that's the coolest thing about growing your own. It's like brewing your own beer. With practice you can end up with something that very specifically fits your tastes instead of trying to find a brewer (or grower) that produces what you like.