flushing question about molasses

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by BiggieBG, Aug 15, 2010.

1. I am living in europe and i cant seem to find unsulpherd blackstrap molasses. Since its probably not called molasses in my country i dont know how to ask the people working in the gardening store. I need to start flushing tomorrow so can anyone tell me how to explain what im looking for or where to order from .... should i just flush with water only for this time? its my first grow anyway... but flush for the last week only not 2 weeks so she gets nutes at least for one of the last 2 weeks. What would you guys do ?

2. you should be looking in grocery stores.

3. I think most everyone on here will tell you to flush for two weeks. Seems to be the standard.

JaK

4. sainsburys sell it if you have one of them in your part of europe £2.89p a bottle or asda also known as wallmart in the states i hope this helps

5. molasses is most commonly used in food recipes so look in ur grociery stores or food markets or what ever you may call it.

i use molasses all throughout flowering. 1 tsp/gal every other week.

i flush the last 2 weeks. no molasses just ph'd water.

6. oh ok, like a big grocery store for food ... i thought im supposed to look in gardening stores... so its something you put in food, ok i see thanks a lot ! i was so clueless :) 1 tsp per gallon? how many ml per liter? would you say? so should i use molasses during the flush? and with the flush what do i do water 1 time really heavy, then just water once a day with water? is that a proper flush?

7. Run 3 times the water as your pot size. Make sure it is PH'd. Let it dry and water with molasses until harvest. When you water with molasses use slightly more water than you normally would. I Use 1 Tbsp per gallon. Some people use 2 Tbsp per gallon.

What nutes you using? Some flush out much faster than others.

8. What do you mean "make sure its PH'd" is tap water not good? i let tap water sit out 24h and i use that for watering... thanks man you were very helpful +rep

9. #9 colafarmer, Aug 16, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 16, 2010
    Optimal ph is 6.5-6.8.....If your plant looks good and healthy and showing no signs of deficiency with the way you are feeding, then your probably good to go....

Your just a couple weeks away from harvest so would probably not have enough time to solve any noticeable deficiensies....

If you have a ph tester by all means ph the solution....;)

And...Health food stores, grocery store sell molasses....Get the unsulphered type

10. 1 tsp=4.9 ml
    and 1 gal= 3.8 L

I would go with 2-3 ml/2L should be okay with that. If you find it in the grocery store, it is usually with baking supplies, such as flour, sugar. But if it isn't there, look near syrup, or maybe honey? I only visited the Netherlands and Germany while I was in Europe, and I never was looking for something like that when I went to the groceries.

11. I don't know for a fact, but I do know that where I visited in Europe(Germany and Netherlands), beer breweries used city tap water to brew their beer, so if they do so where you live, then your definantly going to be a good ph. Usually letting it sit for 24 hr before using it is what we do here in America, because they tend to use alot of chlorine in our water at processing plants. I don't think they do that so much there, so it might not be neccesary, but, I don't know for sure, so you might want to find out about your city water if you can, or else just continue letting it sit just to be safe.

12. I tried to find more information on molsses:
    Sweet Organic Goodness - Magical Molasses - 420 Magazine

Also, try looking for sweet Sorghum, it is very similar to molasses, if they have it it would work the same.

13. believe blackstrap is the third step in refining the molassas..a little more carbs than reg....any unsulfered molassas will work:smoking:

14. Cool, thanks to ALL of you, no need to name you individually, but thanks you guys were helpful :hello:

15. I see something in this discussion that continues to be misunderstood. You don't flush for two weeks, you flush for an hour or less. The flush is the act of running a bunch of water through your soil to rinse and cleanse it, that's all. It removes salts and excess nutes build-up and other waste byproducts. But once it's over, it's over.

A common time to flush is about two weeks before harvest, but you aren't flushing those entire two weeks. After the flush you wait until the soil dries out a bit and then continue your watering regimen from there. The point of the flush is to rid the soil of nutes so that the plant draws down its built-in storehouse, leaving little if any nutes in the harvest material for better taste. And so after this final flush you shouldn't feed anymore either. And to address another misconception I see a lot, you don't "flush with molasses", you only flush with water. Giving molasses after this final flush can give the plant a carb boost and fatten up the buds, but it isn't a "feeding".

You do want the water you flush with to be pH balanced, once you've rinsed the soil that will be a thorough watering for your plant. Depending on your pot size and number of plants and 3x the pot volume for each, it can be a challenge to have that much pH-adjusted water available, you can use regular tap water for most of the flush if you finish off with at least 0.5x the pot volume of ph-adjusted water.

16. good info toasty. I'd like to add that molasses is more than just a carb boost however. Here is some info i found researching it:

Molasses contains minerals and plant nutrients.
    because molasses (average NPK 1-0-5) contains potash, sulfur, and many trace minerals, it can serve as a nutritious soil amendment.

The importance of minerals is vastly understated. Most of our foods come from mineral depleted topsoil, yielding crops with low mineral content.
    The very best grade of molasses is unsulfured blackstrap molasses. It's not the best for sweetening, but it is the highest in nutrients.

17. Yes, toasty is correct in the flushing area for sure, but I disagree with molasses not being a feeding. It does indeed contain on average NPK 1-0-5. The difference between this and a normal feeding with your regular nutes is that this is a completely organic feeding. Which most of the organic guys and even some not so organic guys can tell you, if you grow 100% organic there is almost ZERO reason to flush. It's the chemical fertilizers\salts that need to be flushed out.

Plus molasses has a bunch of other goodies for your ladies also.

+ rep to toasty ;)

• Like Like x 1
  18. The only problem with this is the fact that not everything we have here in the US is quite so easily acessible in Europe, where the OP is from. I don't know about methods to test and/or control PH there, but they may be pretty hard to find.

Again Biggie, if you live in an area with alot of beer brewing, and you can, try to find out if they use the city tap water to brew with, this is very similar to the correct range you would want for soil growing.
    Mashing should always take place at a pH between 5.1 and 5.3. And the correct range for hydroponics is from 5.5-6.0
    If you are doing your grow in soil, your range should be higher, at 6.5-7.0, but if you mix some dolomite lime in with your soil, it will help to stabalize your ph, and therefore, once again the ph of beer brewing water should be close enough to be quite succesful, although not ideal.

If you want to try and find a tester for the PH and adjustments, one place I would suggest looking is someplace where they supply beer brewing supplies. I don't know if they have the homebrew outlets like they have here in the US, but I am sure they have something there, because all the breweries I went to, I talked to the people working there and they all brewed their own beer at home before working there. I hope this helps, wish I had more information, good luck with your growing though.

19. Actually I am starting a grow with an easyryder seed, outdoor, with a soiless mix of peat, perlite and lime, the mix has no nutes in it, but the ryder strains already don't like alot of nutes and will burn very easy, (they say to use from 1/4 strength-1/2 strength). Where I live there aren't any good gardening supply stores around, other than Lowes or HD, and all they have is Miracle Gro, so thats a definant NO! Being so limited in nute choices, it looks like I will have to just simply use molasses in water for my plant feeding. The only problem I should have is that it isnt really a good source for Phosphorous (N-P-K is 1-0-5), so during flower I might have to go get some Miracle Grow organic choice bone meal which is made for phosphorous addition. But, I don't have much of an alternative available.:(

20. wow lots of comments, i will address them all together... TRIPACE, thanks for your concern bro but i am going on vacation, and i really dont have time to find a ph-tester, i am thinking of just flushig the plant with tap water, afterwards continue with just water or add molasess in the water, 3ml per 2 liter. I havent found molasess yet, but i know this organic food store that SHOULD have it and im going to check it out today. Good info by all of you, great stuff! On another note, someone said that if you're organic theres no reason to flush. Well in the store i went to buy the flowering nutes they told me that the ones i bought were organic, and were a little more expensive because of this. Their name is ALGA-BLOOM by Plagron... Should i still flush ?