Flushing for low brix?

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by growmymeds, Feb 28, 2020.

1. Hey blades. I have a theory to run by y'all.
    Everybody has heard the flushing arguments, but has anyone ever considered the effect of brix on our finished flower? My understanding is that brix is a measurement of sugar in our plants. Now thats great for growing and perfect for tomatos, but do we really want sugar burning in our bowls? Am I thinking about this right? When we cure are bacteria eating the sugars? I've heard some say to dry trim because the liquid that oozes out of fresh cuts ruins flavor. Is that the sugars too? I'm gettimg a brix meter soon to start checking out what happens to brix during flush. Anybody out there know of lab results and if bud tested before flush, after flush and after cure are a steady decline?

Sent from my LM-X220 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

2. #2 theepopeofdope, Feb 28, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2020
    Yes you could do this. I don't know of lab results. I am familiar with working with a refractometer from brewing. You are considering measuring the levels of sugars in your plants. It doesn't equate to sugars burning in your bowl exactly, when we talk about Brix measurement it means carbohydrates, you are testing higher Brix to signify which plants are healthier, more pest resistant, and probably tastier. I could see it being helpful for breeding. I doubt that flush or no flush would impact Brix measurements. Regarding bacteria eating sugars during cure, I doubt it. That is called fermentation. You could ferment your buds, but it would be the opposite of curing them, you would have to create an anaerobic situation--a wet hot environment for yeast to colonize.

3. How would carbohydrates in the plant not be burning in the bowl? The way i see it, after harvest moisture in the plant will evaporate, but the sugars will be left behind. This might be backward thinking anyways. I've seen that tabbaco products have sugars added to improve flavor, so it might hurt flavor if brix is lower. I've also heard of burning sugars turning into harmful vapors. ????? Anybody else have thoughts on this?

Sent from my LM-X220 using Grasscity Forum mobile app