Flushing coco?

Discussion in 'Coco Coir' started by trichome og, Dec 27, 2011.

1. #21 TheWatcher, Apr 21, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 21, 2012
    There's no right or wrong answer to this question really.

What "Flushing" achieves in relation to your end product, is dependent on so many variables. Is it true that simply pouring gallons of water through the pot of a plant which has been overfed throughout it's life, 7 days before it is due to come down, will give you bud which stays lit and burns to a clean white ash? I'd imagine it's not.

If the clarity and taste of your bud is the reason behind the question, which it obviously is, then the act of pouring through the water is not actually achieving what you want, and therefore you might agree it would not qualify as a flush at all. A flush to remove an excess of nutrients is a different thing, in that case it does what you want it to achieve.

To flush the nutrients which will affect the quality of your smoke, there's a school of thought which states that it is important to significantly lower the phosphorus levels of the feed while maintaining a steady low dose of other macro and micro elements while the plant is still actively processing nutes, in order to allow the plant to metabolise its reserves. Phosphorus is regarded as the one element which inhibits the burn and darkens the ash. It is alleged that it also raises the carcinogenicity of the end product. Enough to at least make you think, especially when you consider that it is also proposed that going straight from full nutrients to removing them entirely does not allow the plant to process them correctly and instead forces the plant to shutdown with the nutes still contained within.

This way of thinking makes you target more what goes on before that final flush of plain water. Personally I think the whole flowering period should be approached with the end product in mind, not just the last week. I do agree with those proponents of the above method that when approaching the end it is important to go down the gears and adjust the feed so that the final flush is what it should be; a routine climax, a nice gentle stop...

2. I grow exclusively with coco. I give each pot 1.75 gal at feeding which is twice a week. When time to flush, I give 3 gal of R/O with FloraKleen and FloraShield. The next day I flush 5 gal of straight R/O through each pot. I wait 2 days and repeat the process. I harvest 1-2 days later. All water is ph 6.0

3. So, plants are fed by pressure?

I'm sorry but this is bogus and shows a complete lack of understanding of the most basic elements of plant biology.

4. #24 thesage3, Apr 22, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 22, 2012
    dude ur trolling hard today. why don't you go ask scmc about ionicpressure in the medium. let me clear things plants grown in a soilless or hydro environment get feed via reverse osmosis which is yes pressure whos got the lack.

5. Understanding the basic concept of an idea is a start, but it's nothing more than that. If you don't understand the science then you should put forward your thinking on it with a bit more reservation. To talk like you understand fully the physics, when even the people researching these things don't -and you'd know this if you'd studied it to any length- is just naive.

6. #26 sarscarab, Apr 25, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2012
    Being a Coco Noob could you please post a documented grow journal if you have one. I would like to see what your methods can produce. From reading several threads I have seen some very good results and always take into account everyone's advice. One thing for sure on my first Coco grow I want to get it working the best way.

Thanks

7. first off I never claimed to be a scientist. and I do more researching then posting. so how do you think plants feed I know they close there lips and start sucking right?

heres some research to suck on via wiki.
    Absorption
    Xylem vessels allow the movement of water and nutrients upwards towards the shoots and leaves through the roots and fine root hairs from the soil. Living root cells passively absorb water in the absence of transpiration pull via osmosis creating root pressure. It is possible for there to be no evapotranspiration and therefore no pull of water towards the shoots and leaves. This is usually due to high temperatures, high humidity, darkness or drought.

so again I say plants feed via pressure.

8. What I can do is tell you exactly how to get a nice harvest from start to finish. If you're interested in that, and are prepared to avoid all the fancy products out there and keep to the basics, then it will be a very simple thing indeed.

Google this: bozz's first coco grow

have a look at his plants.

He asked for help so I talked him right through his grow to where he is now, but told him only if he followed my advice to the letter. His plants were in a terrible state to begin and looked like they wouldn't make it to flower, never mind harvest. 3 weeks into flower and this is a quote of his "Never had this much buddaage in week 3or so so thnxto you again"

If you still want my advice after you check them out, give me a shout.

9. I'll give it a look. I myself don't believe in all the overpriced fancy schmancy products being hyped. The fanciest thing I have is my HID light with an Aircooled hood and an S&P exhaust fan. Hell I haven't even bought any swanky seeds but I do plan on getting some of the good genetics sometime this month.

I'll get back to you.

10. Any in particular you're looking at?

I'll get some pictures up in a bit to show you.

Lots and lots of overrated seeds out there, and also some which, while not overrated, are a little harder to get bang on. There are some which give you nice grade and pretty much grow themselves.

11. #31 hashomon, Apr 18, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 18, 2013
    Only my 3rd in/door grow in soil. To flush or not to flush has a lot to do with how many Newts you used during growing. I use Hesi at half strength every third watering during veg. During flower I use one quarter strength. I do finish the last week or so with plain distilled water. No flush with copious amounts of water.
    So far, so good. Taste has been great. I do cure for at least one month.
    NOTE> During the last week or so I give them onlz water and I forgot, 1 teaspoon maple syrup *real stuff to each liter or quart of water. It makes my buds really delicious.
    Point is> There are so many varibles during growth, some folks maz need to flush while others don|t.
    Experiment and find which one works for you. Heavy handed with the Newts maybe a real flush is needed but it all depends on many things.

12. #32 billgee, May 24, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: May 24, 2013
    Dont believe all of what you hear
    And half of what you see
    Everything you read on the web is personal bullshit
    These people are sincere in what they believe and say
    They just mostly dont know what they see
    Believe them if you may
    But in most cases that just makes 2 wrong,
    Not one idiot, two jerks.

Guy from Canna (the Coco people) told me never to flush Coco.
    Its completely lifeless matter. 
    Flush it and leave it completely stripped bare 'naked'.
    Not so with soil.
    You can never completely flush soil.
    Always some nutrients and other shit left behind
    Made and makes sense
    I never flushed
    And all my girls are happy
    who knows
    Everybody got an opinion and most are wrong.

13. Usually hit 10days of flushing, twice as much as they would normally get every other day. I've seen ppl flush 30 gallons in a pot and it was hardly moving down in ppms. I try to have a set number then flush water till I get my desired ppm runoff. Let it dry off then put it back in the room. I do it two or three times then harvest.

Sent from device_name using Grasscity Forum App