Flush Question

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Co.Den, Dec 13, 2007.

1. I will be on the full Fox Farm feeding schedule and I was wondering. The feeding schedule just shows the combo's you add in during that feeding week.

Am I supposed to flush the plant's when they switch cycles? I never saw anything on FF site about flushing and I read that its good to flush when going from veg to bloom.

I was also wondering I read its good to flush when using organics so it taste's good and it clearly says on FF that you dont need to!?!?

Do you only flush if PH is off or do you flush in general to keep healthy plant life?

2. you should leach plant not flush same technique totally different purpose. flushing is for the end of the plants life cycle;)leaching is for say toxic salt build ups, etc

now why flush at the end when using organics no chemicals too flush & lose that taste you've built up feeding organic nutes mate.

personal preference bud, why not try flushing 1 & leaving the other just to see what you prefer;), bet its the one not flushed.:smoke::D

happy toking:smoke:

3. so flushing is only for the very end of the plants life or the cycle of veg/bloom? Sorry I would rather be sure and on the same page then assume.

Leaching is if there is a PH issue?

both are the same exact proccess?

thanks an advance

4. Leaching and flushing are the same thing, just different words. And there will be different opinions on when and why to do this. Some people do it religiously, others only do it when they see a problem and want to flush everything out. But no, its not necassary to flush between veg and flower, it might be a good idea but not necassary. When using organic nutrients and organic soil its usually not as important to flush the soil. But as he stated, the only time its truely necassary is about the last 2 weeks of the plants life to flush everything out so you arent smoking ferts. It also makes the bud taste and burn better.

Edit: And also, the guy said why flush if youve been using organics cause then youll be flushing out all the taste youve been building up. Thats nonsense. Organic nutrients and soils dont make the plant taste better because organic materials taste good, they make it taste better because you are NOT using bad tasting fertilizers (i hope that makes sense). Its still a good idea to flush your plants out like 2 weeks before harvest with clean, pure water even if you use organics. Its not as necassary as if you were using non-organics because its not going to leave bad taste, but its still a good idea to flush it so you can everything out. Organics dont add good taste, they just dont add bad taste like non-organics. And flushing isnt only for taste. God im rambling

Summary...
    Leaching and Flushing are the same thing.
    You dont have to flush your plants ever.
    If you only do it one time, do it like 2 weeks or so before harvest. Just pure, clean water.
    Organics dont add good taste, they just dont add bad taste. Organics are not flavors, they are lack of flavor.

5. Organics dont add good taste, they just dont add bad taste. They can still cause excess salt build up. Just not as quick or as much as non-organic.

6. maybe I am mis-reading this and sorry, I am leaving and in a hurry and I will re-read this later to better understand but, corey, you say you do at end to help with taste ect.

he says leave it all in, if you dont mind. help me to understand this better.

Thanks

7. About 2 weeks or so before harvest is when you need to start using only water, no nutrients, to get out any nutrients that are still there. We dont want to smoke these. Not only does it taste bad, it burns bad. I think he is confused about organics. Organic nutrients and soils dont add good taste, they just dont add bad taste. Organic nutrients aren't flavored or anything. I think he is confused and thinks the reason organically grown cannabis taste better is because the organic nutrients are adding good flavor, which is wrong. They just dont add bad flavor. Its a good practice to flush or leach (same thing, different words) a time or 2 during your grow to get out any excess nutrients and salt build up. But you need to only use pure water the last 2 weeks or so to start flushing/leaching out everything so you dont smoke it. Its just not as important to do this with organics, but its still important.

8. Cool I understand. Thanks.

A better question and your the perfect guy to ask cause you also use FF.

I know you just use CC,BB,OS and I use the full line but. You said its good to flush 2 weeks before harvest but, in my case I am using the FF feeding schedule and it tells me to add cha ching all the way through.

So do I stop using the FF stuff 2 weeks at before harvest or do I follow feed sched and then when done do I flush and flower for 2 weeks with nothing more?

I hope I am making sense. I just see the FF feed sched and its showing I add stuff the whole way thru.

FF feeding schedule
    http://foxfarmfertilizer.com/soilfeed.pdf

also, is it correct you flush with PH corrected water "obviously" but you flush 3 gallons of water for every 1 gallon of soil?

9. You should follow the website until you get familiar with the product then you can adjust as needed. What these websites dont tell you do to is to flush the plants before harvest to get everything out because these products are generally sold for "vegetables" and other plants that you dont smoke :) We, cannabis growers, want to flush all these nutrients and salts out about 2 weeks before harvest so our bud only taste like bud and burns clean. So no matter what product line you use its always a good idea to use only clean, plain, pure, pH adjusted water about 2 weeks until harvest. The only other time its 100% necassary to flush or leach a plant is if you are having ph or nutrient problems or something. Its a good idea to flush once or twice through the plants life but not 100% necassary. And yes, use about 2-3gal for every gal of pot size. This is for flushing and leaching. Its kinda a iffy subject here. Flushing/leaching is to get excess nutrients and salt build up out of the soil. The last 2 week thing is just to get everything out so we have good, clean, bud that burns good but this is also refered to as flushing the plant out. See if this helps..

These arent steps in order. Just things you should know that are numbered :)

Always flush/leach with pH adjusted water.
    1. Flush/leach a plant when trying to fix pH or nutrient problems.
    2. Not 100% necassary to do this, but a very good practice to do once or twice at least.
    3. Always flush/leach about the last 2weeks with plain, clean, pH adjusted water no matter what feeding schedule says.
    4. Use 2-3gal for every gal of pot size.
    5. Do a 2-step flush/leach. Pour some water it and allow it to sit and soak up. Then pour more water in. This 2 step is better than just pouring it all through. The 2-step allows the first little bit to saturate and break up the salt compounds, where the second little bit washes it all out.
    6. And its a good practice to not water your plants a few days before harvest. This makes the plant use all the moisture left in the soil and plant so it easier to dry. You dont want to cut/harvest your plant when the soil is wet.

I think thats about it, im sure i missed something. The main thing to remember is just to take it easy. Its very very easy to get overwhelmed and try to do everything youve read about. Just listen to your plant and it will tell you. Its sometimes a bad thing to have soooo much information, you try to do everything youve read about and get very nervous and upset if you thinkyou are forgetting something. This is your first grow? Dont worry, im sure you will grow some great very potent plants. Im 100% sure you will in fact. I cant wait to see those picture perfect buds. And just think, this is your first time! You will only get better!! Let that soak in for a minute :)

10. Damn brotha, well said. I understood that perfectly.

Yeah it is my first grow, one thing I wanted to do is defy* the odds. I have been non-stop reading since I decided to go ahead and start. I think it's going to help, I kept reading that if its your first grow you will most likely barely yeild.
    I refuse to accept the normal, I am going to prove that theroy wrong :D "with the help of the board"
    I think why I am going to make it is, alotta people think they can with minimal researching, I see alotta poeple dont come to see how, they only come when a problem is already underway.
    I already know what to do :D

2 weeks and I already feel comfortable aside of few minor details "like this" :D

11. Nah man, plenty of people get ounces and ounces their first time. You will too im sure. Cant wait to see them!