Fluorescent Lighting; One Plant

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by drsnuggles, Feb 29, 2008.

1. If a person desired to be only growing one plant at a time, and wanted to do it cheaply by using fluorescent lights, what should be considered?
    I know that different types of fluorescent lights emit different light ranges, generally between the 6000k -- 3300k range.
    If a person used a 2-bulb fixture, at about 4ft long, and used a combo of a 40watt daylight (6000k), and a 25watt cool white (4,100k) bulb, and kept it only a few inches from the top of the plant, could one hypothetically still produce a good yielding / potent plant? Would there be enough lumens, and enough of both red and blue spectrums?

Keep in mind, I am a first time grower, and am not looking for a first-class 8ft plant; I know that is unrealistic.

Thanks

DrSnuggles

2. Oh, I have also been told that 4ft fixtures lose lumens due to it's length.

Would this method work well for one plant? http://www.weedfarmer.com/growing_marijuana_with_fluoresce.htm

If so, am i going to have to worry about heat from a 2fixture fluorescent light? Would there be enough heat to ruin paint on the wall, firehazard, etc?

3. I'd use CFLs, the flourescent lights that fit in normal light sockets. You'll want 6500k ones for vegging ("daylight" bulbs) and warm white (2700k iirc) for flowering, although a combo is good for the entire life of the plant. As long as you have over 100w of light (actual watts, not incandescent equivalents) you should be fine. Keep the lights close to the plant as CFLs don't have much penetration power.

All advice is for entertainment purposes only. I don't condone the commitment of crimes :D

4. I'm not familiar with CFL's...
    If they are only putting out small wattage, you obviously are going to need a few, right? What is the easiest solution to fixtures for the CFL bulbs?

5. At walmart or your local hardware store they sell light sockets that plug directly into an outlet, and also splitters which turn 1 socket into 2. With some of these and a power strip you have the perfect fixture for your mights, and they're pretty easy to rig up with some chain or string or whatnot too so you can raise/lower to keep them close to the plant. I'd suggest buying 26w CFLs if you can find them, 20 if you can't. They're a much better bang for your buck if you just buy like a 4 pack of daylight and a 4 pack of warm white...and that is more than enough light for what you'll need.

Again, all advice is hypothetical and meant for entertainment only :D

6. First off, thanks for your quick responses, they are greatly appreciated :)

So then, what are you saying? That in addition to 2 4ft fluors, one would want to add 8CFL's to the project? Or are you saying that 8CFL's are to used in place of 2 4ft fluors?

Thanks,
    Snugs

7. Yea, the tubes and CFL;s both have a short penetration power, so I would put a fluro at the top, and cfl's on the sides for side/under light.
    Best of both worlds.

8. The more light you have the Better - Your homedepot or wally world will have CLAMP lights, you could hook them onto the pots of your Mj, or hang them -

The more the better.

9. You want 6500k light for vegetative growth, and a warmer 2700k light for flowering.

10. Thanks,

I've already gone over the before-posting rules, I thought I had detailed my set up well enough, and the entire post wasn't one sentence :p

I will definitely look over the CFL link you posted though.

And for my fluorescent lights I do have a Daylight and Cool white to make sure I've got both spectrums covered