Fluorescent Light Question

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by ReddoggjZ, Nov 26, 2006.

1. I am new to growing, and my lighting set up is as follows:
    1. On top I have a fluorescent light for germination and first 2 weeks
    2. On bottom I have a 150 watt HPS light.
    I was going to add 1 or 2 more 2ft fluorescent growing light on the bottom vertically along the wall by each pot. My question is:
    Should you remove any plastic covering of the fluorescent... will this make the light more effective?

2. what plastic covering of the fluorescent do you mean is thare plastic on your bulbs or some ware else please give better details

3. No just leave it.. I have the same thing it protects the glass so just leave it.

4. Yeah, exactly it's the type that just protects the glass light. But, does it take away from the power of the light?

5. no its okay ...you can have the plants actually touching the glass ;) ...but not recommended they do have to grow up ...but keep them half a cm away

peace John

6. Nah your good.... I havent had any problems And im flowering with it!

7. Even glass coverings lose you 10% of the light. Plastic would be even more, I'd reckon. I'd take them off. As Funkopath said, you can have your plants almost touching the tube itself without troubles. Of course you'd need to ensure that no water entered any electrical parts.

As for the wisdom of side-lighting, dunno.

-mu