Flu shot or get fired

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Nokturnal420, Sep 16, 2009.

1. #101 tharedhead, Oct 1, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 1, 2009

I think the swine flu danger is massively overblown as well.If we did have a real pandemic flu you might be in danger, but this certainly does not seem to be it.

This may help with the whole "your immune system can kill you" thing (its a pop sci site, but hey, it has pictures). It can be a real problem, but I'm not sure how it applies to this current overblown flu "crisis"

Cytokine Storm and the H5N1 Influenza Pandemic: The Bird Flu

Cytokine storm - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Spanish Influenzia may have killed primarily young healthy people for this reason

On the plus side, pot is an anti-inflamatory with effects on TNF ect. so hopefully nobody on this list has to worry.:smoking:Pot is an immune modulating drug:)In a very positive way!

Natural immunity does make for a healthier population, you are correct. Its just that pesky 37% infant mortality rate it takes to achieve it bothers some people. If we develop enough new diseases, and run out of antibiotics, we'll be back to that before we know it.

2. If you're infected without symptoms, you'll still infect other people.

It doesn't matter how well you eat, and excersize: you can get sick if you're exposed to the virus.

No. The whole point of a vaccine is they will be exposed to it, and not catch it.
    Without a vaccine, expsoure means they catch it.
    How health they are determines the effect it has on them, but they're still infected.

The only way a vaccinated person can get the flu is if they are unlucky enough to run across something they aren't vaccinated for.

Protect people its their job to protect, yes.
    They cannot do their job safely without putting this in their body, thus they are required to if they wish to work there.

I think they should, just not with the flu shot, which DOES temporarily weaken your immune system.
    I think they should be required to take a swine flu vaccine, though. Having hospital workers catch it wouldn't exactly help the spread, now would it?

3. So, initially, a vaccinated person can infect other people? The only way for you to beat the virus is to catch it, whether by vaccination or naturally. You may not show symptoms but your body is fighting the virus when you first get vaccinated (usually the virus is dead, but not always).

So, if some study came out and found that some drug made doctors protect their patients more effectively then they should they be forced to take it? Where do you draw the line? Doctors shouldn't be forced to risk their own well-being just to keep their job.

Finally, you don't think doctors should be forced to get the seasonal flu vaccine, but they should be forced to get the swine flu vaccine? Is the swine flu really that scary? The seasonal flu killed a lot more people last year than the swine flu did.

4. Ok anyone who thinks that the vaccines will have AIDS or mercury: why does the governemt need to kill it's own citizens?, everything will go to shit without the workers.

The whole swine flu scare was just a ploy by corporations making the vaccine in an attempt to drive up profits. Money is the bottom line evry time. The feds don't care if we smoke pot, they just realize they can make more money if it''s illegal.

5. Let people do whatever they want; when your children are crippled from pollio and smallpox, and my kids are starting grade school, maybe you'll rethink the whole scenario.

6. Yes, let's force people to put things in their body just to keep their job. Good idea.

Also, thanks for playing out my entire life for me. Anything else I should know about the future?

7. hey man if they don't wanna deal with being a doc or a nurse, world always needs a burger flipper.

Docs and nurses already have to get hepp vaccines. So they have to get a shot to protect a very spreadible and infectious diseise from spreading? You ever read the hot zone? If the doctors didn't abandon the hospital, then that flareup of ebola would have killed hundreds and thousands of more.

Oh and as far as the future go, the only thing you need to know is the only people who die of pollio in it are the ones not to get innoculated.

8. Why are you comparing polio vaccine to the flu vaccine?

9. So who's going to tell this private hospital that they have to re-write their policies?

10. Flu vaccines are very different than hepatitis vaccines and the flu is very different from hepatitis, but go ahead: compare apples to oranges.

11. I thought it was 'State Hospital Review and Planning Council' policy?

12. I stand corrected :eek:

I thought it was ok for individual states to make policies regarding health care, public safety, etc?

13. It is in their legal right to do so, but that doesn't mean this policy is 'ok'.

Over 40,000 people by representation are protesting the policy, arguing it is a violation of their rights. At least at a local level this protest can influence policy, but if it were Federal we would have no voice.

14. Don't individual rights outweigh the rights of the "majority"?

What about the individuals who are sick- the patients? Unlike the employees, who can walk out at any time, they literally don't have a choice in being there. They don't have the right to go to the hospital and not be put in danger by the employees?

I'm not really a fan of the flu shot, but it seems like a pretty standard policy that if you are working with sick people, you need to be vaccinated. I would think a private institution would have even stricter policies, since efficiency would dictate that you can't have that liability.

15. You view health care as a right, so we're going to disagree on whether the rights of Hospital patients are being violated.

Hospitals already take precautionary measures against spreading diseases, but I think mandating flu vaccination is a bit overkill. I don't know how well it would even contain it, given that incoming patients will constantly pose a risk to existing patients.

A private hospital could certainly mandate vaccination for employees. They might invoke a strike or something though.

I don't really have a strong opinion on hospital employees being vaccinated, but if they start quaranteening populations and mandating civilian vaccinations, then I'll be a little pissed. :cool:

16. This example is exactly why a one world government would be good for the ruling elite, but bad for the rest of us. Because the voice of protest will be lost in the masses. It's all so they can fudge stats. 40,000 is a statistically significant amount on a local level, much less significant on a national scale, and totally statistically insignificant on a global scale.

17. All the data you get about people dying from the flu is exagerrated to get the 'unwashed masses' to get the flu shot. In reality only 1000 die each year from the flu, the other 34000 die from PNEUMONIA, see they never tell you this, and most who die already have pre existing problems. Also its strange how the flu always starts in an old folks homes (and the media tells you this) and spreads to the outer population, you know why, because old people are the FIRST to get vaccinated, flu shots cause the flu to mutate and spread. You become the breeder. Are you really that stupid to think that the big drug companies wouldn't do this to you, the ones whose same owners are tied into the WHO and Optimum Population Trust, do you really think this doesn't go on!?, its REALITY. Time to wake up, and quit believing doctors and nurses are like you see them on tv dramas, the system works the complete opposite way they show you on tv. What makes you think anything is different about this H1N1 vaccine?

18. I'm confident that big pharma (and most other big industries) are extremely corrupt, dishonest and greedy. I'm also not enough of a conspiracy theorist to think this means none of the product they create work. The flu vaccine is just as much as a scam as Tylenol: not at all.

19. The real piece of shit out of this, is in 20 years, the AMA is probably going to find out that vaccinations cause cancer, and will stop them. I mean, a vaccination is the list of viruses (basicly) nuked by radiation til they can't "reproduce", who knows what that's doing to your body. I fully expect this to happen eventually.

were I in that position, I would get another job.

20. I bet more people die from Tylenol every year than from the flu vaccine.

So, what is your point? The flu vaccine is a bit of a scam?

Did you know the first vaccines for swine flu came out and it's a live vaccine in the form of a nasal spray? Now, who could really use a live vaccine that only comes out a month or two before the safer, injectable vaccine? The healthy people can wait and the people who really need the vaccine can't really take a live vaccine. The only point of that nasal spray is so that those pharma companies make a little extra dough on top of the killing they're going to make this flu season.