Flu shot or get fired

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Nokturnal420, Sep 16, 2009.

1. They have already broken social cohesion, nobody is willing to stand up for anybody else because we are all divided and labeled some way or another. Now they are trying to break your individuality and individuall rights. When the govt has a right to stick a needle in your arm, or force you through coercion (like losing your job), its tyranny folks, tyranny. You CANNOT stand for it, for the hard of thinking, I hope I woke somebody up.

2. Then let me be the first to say 'Fuck those people'.

3. Actually, its healthy young people with a strong immune system who are more likely to die of the current flu. The strong immune response is what causes your lungs to fill with fluid...

Swine flu and deaths in healthy adults--cytokine storm? : Aetiology

:D

4. That's a pretty bold statement. Even the article you posted doesn't go as far to say that healthy people are more likely to die of the H1N1 virus.

IMO, H1N1 isn't really something to be worried about if you're healthy and have access to health care.

5. Well I was specifically talking about the scenario Penelope described.

However, as far as a strong immune system killing you goes, again, I'll take my chances. That makes absolutely no sense to me.

6. #87 UnbyJP, Sep 30, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 30, 2009

I'm pretty sure I've heard more than once that this flu is unique because its victims are mostly kids and young adults. I assume that kids and young adults are considered healthier for the most part. Could be wrong though, in both the original claim, and the subsequent correlation.

And in terms of your lungs filling up with liquid, ain't no room in there if they're constantly filled with cannabinoids! :smoking:

7. #88 Arteezy, Sep 30, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 30, 2009

Novel H1N1 U.S. Deaths, By Age Group
    (source: CDC)

[​IMG]
    Novel H1N1 U.S. Hospitalization Rate per 100,000 Population, By Age Group
    [​IMG]

80% of the deaths have been in 5-64 age group (which is opposite the seasonal flu), but, in terms of hospitalization, kids were the hardest hit.

EDIT: This doesn't prove that the swine flu is killing healthy people. I just thought these graphs would clear some things up.

8. ya well, when your doctor ends up making YOU sick, what are you gonna say then?

9. How can you blame someone for infecting you with something as contagious as the flu? Forcing other people to get the vaccine on your behalf is pretty selfish.

Also, doctors take a lot of precautions to make sure they don't pass diseases from them to their patients. Just because a doctor doesn't get the vaccine doesn't mean that they're infecting their patients.

10. really, cause my doctor got me sick once from a routine checkup. I consider the vaccine another needed precaution. Its not just my behalf, its everyones behalf.

doctors come in contact with more sick people than anyone else. it just makes sense, for they're sake and they're patients too.

11. It doesn't make sense for a healthy doctor to be forced to get a vaccine. If he's healthy and maintains his immune system by eating right, exercising, and washing his hands then why should he be forced to get the vaccine?

As for your doctor getting you sick, the best solution would be for you to find a new doctor that actually keeps himself healthy and clean.

12. you actually think keeping a healthy lifestyle is enough to avoid infection or become a carrier of a virus. you must be joking.:rolleyes:

13. If you keep a 100% healthy lifestyle you can avoid the flu and avoid becoming a carrier of the flu.

14. I don't have any vaccinations besides Tetanus.

I got through public school with a relgious exemption, and to this day don't have any vaccinations. I've never gotten a flu shot.

I don't wash my hands (I shower daily), I share cups with sick people, I eat food from the floor, and I don't turn my head when people are coughing around me.

Also, I haven't missed a day of work or school due to sickness in 10 years, I don't get stomach or headaches, I don't have any allergies, I've never been to a hospital, never taken pain medication, and have had a grand total of two prescriptions (lyme disease and ear infection).

And if you argue that that's due to a clean environment, I went to Nicaragua for 3 weeks without any immunizations. So as far as I'm concerned, mandating flu shots is a violation of rights.

15. lets see ur fucking degree, cuz thats a 100% lie

16. +1, thats like saying you won't catch AIDS from having unprotected sex as long as you keep a healthy lifestyle.

If a doctor keeping a healthy lifestyle contracts the virus, but doesn't show symptoms or even gets sick, thats even more dangerous, because he will transmit it to more patients.

and if they so happen to transmit it to someone who is really sick, like with cancer, Auto immune disease, renal failure, etc, where just catching a cold can be fatal.

What do you think the implications are going to be.

what if it was someone you loved that was really sick, would you risk they're lives with a doctor thats not vaccinated during flu season.

i wouldn't......

this argument has no merit, just like death panels so just drop it.

17. I'm so tired of arguing this shit. Go ahead and believe what you want and I'll believe what I want. The main point of this thread is forced vaccinations for the flu (and a pretty wimpy flu at that). Why do you want to force people to put things that they don't want in their body?

18. believe whatever the fuck you want, but stop telling people lies

You get infected. Your health helps you fight it off, but you're still infected.

Look, requiring that anyone working with someone who is at risk of death if they catch the flu is vaccinated against the flu makes sense. It's a health risk, and simply an extension (granted, a drastic one) of requirements like wearing gloves when handling food.
    If it's something you don't want to do, then quit.

edit: BUT, just to be clear, this doesn't mean that I support requiring the flu shot. I'm just saying, there are grounds for doing so.
    I disagree on the basis of priorities, and you disagree on a basis of principle, which is why I'm arguing.
    The reason I don't support it is simply because of Swine Flu.. not because the flu vaccine doesn't work.

19. #100 Arteezy, Oct 1, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 1, 2009
    I'm not telling people lies. If you live a healthy life you won't get sick except in rare circumstances. It's pretty easy to not get sick from the flu. There are simple public health measures people can take to reduce infection rates along with eating right and exercising.

Perhaps, infected without symptoms, but if you're 100% healthy you'll never actually get sick.

Also, by that logic couldn't a vaccinated person also be "infected"?

It is nothing like requiring gloves. They're forcing people to put something in their bodies to protect other people.

So, you agree that we shouldn't be forcing the hospital workers to be vaccinated for the swine flu?